Thread: Cutting down

ramacher is offline Member
    Blog Entries

Cutting down

Stats: 288 (211.5 pounds lean muscle. Have been bulking since last December, but now with school starting I want to lean and cut up. I have a diet lined up for me by myself, but my question is what can I do differently for working out? I have been going 5+ days of weights with cardio after 20 min max. Should my reps change at all I have been usually doing 10-10-8-8-6 for most the main big exercises (squat, bench, biceps, triceps, shoulders).

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    So that would put you at 27% body fat???

Why in the hell were you "bulking" at that body fat %??

Anyway, there is not much you can do differently with your "workouts" to cut fat. Short rest intervals between sets will keep the heart rate up, but the only way to "cut" is to do cardio, and lots of it.

Personally I do an hour a day, plus 20-30 min after weights. I am cutting.

Blog Entries

cutting

Yes cardio of course! But I have been told if I do weights for an hour and then do cardio it does more harm then good because your test levels drop after 45 min to a hour. So I have been doing cardio on its own by itself. But my main question is can I still do my heavy lifting and add more cardio to still cut and gain some muscle at the same time?

BigBuck6 is offline Associate Member
    Who told you that your test levels drop that quickly? You have up to a 4 hour window for elevated levels of hormones such as gh, igf-1, and testosterone . That is precisely why you should wait to take your protein shake after your workout. To answer you question, yes you should be able to do cardio and lift heavy at the same time. How did you measure your bodyfat? I am curious how accurate your reading is which is dependent upon the method used.

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramacher View Post
    Yes cardio of course! But I have been told if I do weights for an hour and then do cardio it does more harm then good because your test levels drop after 45 min to a hour. So I have been doing cardio on its own by itself. But my main question is can I still do my heavy lifting and add more cardio to still cut and gain some muscle at the same time?
    False.

I would not do a lot but anything up to about 30 minutes is fine after a workout.

Blog Entries
    I got tested in a Bod Pod. The most accurate as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ramacher View Post
    I got tested in a Bod Pod. The most accurate as possible.
    I would disagree with that because the test could yield false results if you did not follow proper diet protocol ahead of time.

Blog Entries
    really? hmm well i like that idea because i got tested at 27.6 percent in the bod pod and then two days later i was tested at 24 percent. What would diet have in effect with the bod pod though? i got up first thing in the morning (didnt eat anything) then took the test.

breathing can shew results if not properly calibrated and so can abdominal gases. maybe more but that is all i know for sure.

mullcap is offline Junior Member
    always best to do cardio first thing in the am on an empty stomach if trying to cut not after workout. after workout you need your proteins and good carbs ie dextrose

Thread Information