frawnz is offline Knowledgeable Member

Running every day vs every other day

I have a 1.5 mile run I have to do for a job qualification and I've been working on lowering my 1.5 mile run time so I can score as well as possible. Just curious as to which would be more beneficial - running every day, or running every other day.

I've probably got about 1.5-2 months until my PT test, and I'm currently running about a 12:30 minute 1.5 mile. I'd LOVE to get that time down to < 10:48 (for max points), but I'll be content with anything in the mid 11s.

I know they run practically every day in military bootcamps, and everyone comes out with significantly faster run times. I'm just wondering which would be more effective... running every day to force my body to adapt to the demands of running faster, or running every other day to give my body a little recovery time between runs.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Depending on your fitness level, it might benefit you to run everyday, but only do timed runs once or twice a week (this is more for psychological than physical).

Also, when training for timed runs, I've found it helps to vary your training techniques.

Don't just run 1.5 miles every day all the time.

Some days you might benefit by just jogging for a mile or two, but focusing on technique (believe me, technique will improve your run time! Start googling, reading, and practicing running techniques if you're not already).

Add in some hills, weighted running, interval training, and running longer than 1.5 miles and you'll be good to go.

gymratbig is offline Junior Member
    yea i agree

frawnz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think one of the most worrysome things for me is this PT test is going to fall right smack dab in our short winter. I live down south and am used to running in 90 degree, high humidity weather. Running when it's cold and arid is really hard for me, just like it's probably very hard for someone to run in high heat/humidity when they're used to colder/dryer climates.

Thread Information