singing master is offline Female Member

swimming or running

is swimming better cardio than running... i have been weight training at gym and have not really had time for cardio anymore.. i have decided to do my cardio in the morning .should i swim or run.... of course swimming would be more convenientsince , but loosing weight is imortant to me and would rather do what is most affective

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Everyone is going to have a different opinion so here is mine.
    Swimming puts no imapact on your joints and is very good exercise. You move your arms and legs around a lot while doing it. I personally get very bored very quickly while swimming so I don't do it. I stick with the treadmill cause I can plug my headphones in and watch Sports Center for 40 min.
    Anyway here is a table from the Mayo Clinic if you are interested?

Activity (1-hour duration) Weight of person and calories burned
    160 pounds (73 kilograms) 200 pounds (91 kilograms) 240 pounds (109 kilograms)
    Aerobics, high impact 511 637 763
    Aerobics, low impact 365 455 545
    Aerobics, water 292 364 436
    Backpacking 511 637 763
    Basketball game 584 728 872
    Bicycling, < 10 mph, leisure 292 364 436
    Bowling 219 273 327
    Canoeing 256 319 382
    Dancing, ballroom 219 273 327
    Football, touch, flag, general 584 728 872
    Golfing, carrying clubs 329 410 491
    Hiking 438 546 654
    Ice skating 511 637 763
    Jogging, 5 mph 584 728 872
    Racquetball, casual, general 511 637 763
    Rollerblading 913 1,138 1,363
    Rope jumping 730 910 1,090
    Rowing, stationary 511 637 763
    Running, 8 mph 986 1,229 1,472
    Skiing, cross-country 511 637 763
    Skiing, downhill 365 455 545
    Skiing, water 438 546 654
    Softball or baseball 365 455 545
    Stair treadmill 657 819 981
    Swimming, laps 511 637 763
    Tae kwon do 730 910 1,090
    Tai chi 292 364 436
    Tennis, singles 584 728 872
    Volleyball 292 364 436
    Walking, 2 mph 183 228 273
    Walking, 3.5 mph 277 346 414
    Weightlifting, free weight, Nautilus or universal type 219 273 327

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/SM00109

little p is offline Junior Member
    good post mate, i personally think interval running is the best

BrettVarvre is offline Junior Member
    if you are a competent swimmer it will definitely be the better workout, the only drawback for me is being left alone with just my thoughts for so long it gets creepy.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    If it's just a matter of choosing and you don't have a preference, swimming because its low impact.

VegasRenegade is offline Finishing Member ~ Transformation Contest!
    Blog Entries
    to lose weight running to build cardio fitness swimming. You have to burn swim much much more to burn fat since it is not weight bareing think seals polor bears etc.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasRenegade View Post
    to lose weight running to build cardio fitness swimming. You have to burn swim much much more to burn fat since it is not weight bareing think seals polor bears etc.
    I don't understand what you just said, could you please clarify.

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by little p View Post
    good post mate, i personally think interval running is the best
    Intervals are very effective, IMO swimming can't go wrong.

When i was younger i had a great body from swimming. I was not lifting a finger from weights.

hoyle21 is offline Junior Member
    I read an article once that swimming is good for cardio, but not so great for cutting fat. Supposedly if you spend time in a pool your body will try to actually add fat to increase buoyancy. It's an evolution thing.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by hoyle21 View Post
    I read an article once that swimming is good for cardio, but not so great for cutting fat. Supposedly if you spend time in a pool your body will try to actually add fat to increase buoyancy. It's an evolution thing.
    i guess that explains why all the olympic swimmers are fat.....

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    swimming is great cardio and building endurance, but i am finding that running/jogging is best for burning fat. it is really hard to sweat in the pool! the water actually cools the body off so you are not burning the calories at the same rate as you would when your running. i am incorporating both into my weekly routine now so hopefully i will be able to increase my mileage on runs by getting into the pool, which will ultimately make me burn more cals! hope this helps some, just my .02.

Sicko is offline Senior Member
    heheheh that is funny...I would love to see some fact to back up that broscience...

I actually was on a swim team for three years as a youth and if any of you have ever been involved in competitive swimming you well know how brutal the practices are..Especially back in 1978 the rules were a lot diferent about how hard the coaches could push you, they literally drowned us on a daily basis!!! anyways the point is I didnt accumulate any body fat due to water exposure...I love swimming as a form of fat burning exercise..since I only run now when I am being chased...heheheh
    Last edited by Sicko; 02-02-2011 at 01:09 PM.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    It's all about heart rate. It doesn't matter what the activity is: swimming, running, elliptical, sex. whatever.

I love swimming, problem is, it's difficult to monitor your HR.

Sicko is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    swimming is great cardio and building endurance, but i am finding that running/jogging is best for burning fat. it is really hard to sweat in the pool! the water actually cools the body off so you are not burning the calories at the same rate as you would when your running. i am incorporating both into my weekly routine now so hopefully i will be able to increase my mileage on runs by getting into the pool, which will ultimately make me burn more cals! hope this helps some, just my .02.
    Sorry, another example of broscience..in reality the excercise is irrelevent its about reaching your target heart rate and keeeping it there for set amount of time...

x2 keymastur...
    Last edited by Sicko; 02-02-2011 at 01:15 PM.

huh? i am confused some people say swim some people say don"t.... what the hell

n00bs is offline Member
    Eat maintenance or below do weights profit

so have i been waking up at 5 every morning to swim for no reason ... or not

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by n00bs View Post
    Eat maintenance or below do weights profit
    Huh? Are you saying she doesn't need cardio?

Quote Originally Posted by singing master View Post
    so have i been waking up at 5 every morning to swim for no reason ... or not
    Like I said above, both swimming and running are good forms of cardio, what you should do depends largely on your goals.

One exercise isn't necessarily better than the other, but what ultimately matters is getting your HR up.

I can't say you've been getting up at 5am to swim for no reason, because I don't know anything about your goals or training, but in general, cardio is always a great thing!

Blog Entries
    Like I said swimming is great for your heart and if you swim enough you wil lose wight. If you are going to swim a compitve swim program workout more power to you. If you are just doing laps in the pool not so much.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    for everyone else.... laugh all you want. I've read articles on this phenomenom years ago... sorry, can't remember where.... don't remember the buoyancy bit, but I do remember that the body, as a defense mechanism, will create a thin layer of fat right below the skin to fight the effects of hypothermia. If you ever have noticed (i have), that swimmers don't quite have that vascular / ripped look that others may have with a similar bf% due to more of their fat will proportionally be right below the skin... other than that, swimmers are as healthy as a horse

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    just swim. its still cardio!

Swimming is a great choice for cardio but it is not ideal for fat loss. This is because when the body is submerged in water, the core temperature is lowered causing the body to retain fat for warmth purposes and burn glycogen for primary energy instead of fat stores. It is still a great way to burn calories just not fat reserves. If fat loss is your primary goal, I would do some sort of interval training on the treadmill or outside.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Hi.....as long as you are actually cardio if swimming is your cardio for the day. And this would mean you would have to be swimming fast enough to get your heart rate up.

I swim ED in the summer. And although I am pretty fast, I know I am still not cardio since not quite fast enough to be considered cardio.

It is GREAT for toning and emotions. One reason I love to swim is that I notice around the 12-13 minute mark, the monkey mind/broken record starts to disappear. And then when I am finished, whatever was bothering me is gone.

So....bottom line: are you doing swimming for your cardio? and if so, is your heart rate up enough to be considered as such? If so.....swim away Mermaid and enjoy........and if not fast enough to be considered cardio, swim away for toning and then try to get some type of cardio in addition to your swimming....

KeyMastur is offline VET
    maybe it's just me but i don't think i could swim slow enough to keep my heart rate down and my body afloat haha. that's why i just like the recumbent bike or inclined treadmill

Just look at the bodies of the top swimmers. Ill try and post links of the top 50m simmers and compare that with the top 100m. There is a noticable difference in body fat percentage. You really don't need broscience or rumor to do a comparison. It passed the eye test.

Swimmers
    http://www.famousdudes.com/celebriti...v/all/1113.jpg
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/phot...16/phelps2.jpg
    http://hotkimchinights.files.wordpre...y-hall-jr1.jpg

Not saying they are in bad shape, but their BF% is higher than this

Sprinters
    http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/20...on-Gay-415.jpg
    http://www.fraudsandscams.com/SSH2/AsafaPowell.JPG
    http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/64688-maurice_greene.jpg
    http://www.oocities.com/colosseum/1092/bailey2k02.jpg
    http://www.hindu.com/2005/08/07/imag...0708861901.jpg

That's a comparison of the best of the world in swimming vs the best in the world in running. I think the sprinters look quite a bit more "cut" than any of the swimmers. Again, I don't think anyone would think the swimmers are out of shape by any means, but it does seem that running is a bit better.

SlimJoe is offline Banned
    Prefer running

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    This post will sound contradictory so please try to follow this train of thought:

First of all we need to remember OP is a female and honestly the swimmers look smaller than the runners and most females ( I am assuming here) want to look smaller than larger.

The runners look like they train a heck of a lot more so they look more bulked up to me. So if they just ran and did not train so heavily, I bet they would end up looking smaller than the swimmer at the end of the day. Think of the Nigerian who is fast as lightening and is skinny before he starts to lift. ( and I know genetics plays a huge part but is an example of taking the lean and bulking...and I am guessing OP is someone who wants the lean and not the bulk)

Very few people swim fast enough to get the their heart rate up. So to take off the pounds, I would have to say either running or fast speed walking at a real fast clip would serve you best and on empty stomach. Or bike riding.

Perhaps alternate. With more emphasis on the running. My .02

LubbockTX is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasRenegade View Post
    Very logical Vegas.
    I was just about to post about this, but you've answered my question. That makes perfect sense really. Since i'm hypertrophy, I'll swim for cardio rather than running. Thanks so much

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Has anybody suggested that you do both? Alternate session to session or week to week, or do the one as a majority and stick the other in there for a change? Nothing wrong with cross training for losing weight and being a better, all round, athlete.

Also worth noting is that, nothing will increase lung capacity more, over time, than swimming. Increased lung capacity means more oxygen uptake to muscles meaning more nutrients delivered or at least delivered quicker, to your muscles. This would have a knock on effect of being able to run faster, longer and, therefore, possibly making workouts more efficient!

Personally though, I hate swimming!!!

some one at gym told me to swim one day and run the other day......i love swimming i have always been a good swimmer but gave it up now i am back and need to lose weight .....

KeyMastur is offline VET
    hoyle (and everyone else), don't mark me as racist, but every swimmer you posted was white, and every sprinter you posted was black. to the "eye", darker skin is going to have a more defined look - why else would bodybuilders / fitness models bother getting spray tanned before a competition?

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=KeyMastur;5527497]hoyle (and everyone else), don't mark me as racist, but every swimmer you posted was white, and every sprinter you posted was black. to the "eye", darker skin is going to have a more defined look - why else would bodybuilders / fitness models bother getting spray tanned before a competition?[/QUOTE)

Now no way you can look at these guys and think what you are seeing is all color. However It is not a simple as saying swiming makes you look like this and sprinting makes you look like this. Basoth groups have vastly different genetics. Sprinter much more fast twist muscels. That is why they can sprint. The work out routing also
    vastly different. Sprinter is not normally thought of when you think of cardio most whould think more of distance runners. Looke at these guys and you would get a very different picture. Again very different genetics and workout routine. However both groups of runners will have less body fat under the skin than swimmers.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Now no way you can look at these guys and think what you are seeing is all color. However It is not a simple as saying swiming makes you look like this and sprinting makes you look like this. Basoth groups have vastly different genetics. Sprinter much more fast twist muscels. That is why they can sprint. The work out routing also
    vastly different. Sprinter is not normally thought of when you think of cardio most whould think more of distance runners. Looke at these guys and you would get a very different picture. Again very different genetics and workout routine. However both groups of runners will have less body fat under the skin than swimmers.
    no, i'm not saying it's ALL color. i didn't want to come across as a racist b/c for one, i do think it's easier for blacks to maintain a lower BF% than white males. that's all genetics.

I don't really buy the white/black thing. Those swimmers are sprinters, meaning 50 meters. The runners are 100m guys. They are both sprinters. The reason swimmers are white is probably more to do with socioeconomic standing than anything, but that's a different discussion for a different board.

As far as black people having it easier for a lower body fat percentage, I don't know how you would assume that. The fattest states in the Country (Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Louisiana, and Michigan) all have large percentages of "black people". Pretty much the same as above, obesity has a lot more to do with socioeconomic status, and little to do with ethnicity.

Healthy food is far more expensive alternative than the food a lot of Americans can afford.

[QUOTE=VegasRenegade;5527660]
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur View Post
    hoyle (and everyone else), don't mark me as racist, but every swimmer you posted was white, and every sprinter you posted was black. to the "eye", darker skin is going to have a more defined look - why else would bodybuilders / fitness models bother getting spray tanned before a competition?[/QUOTE)

Try a sprinters work out sometime. It is crazy cardio, but you are right, they don't run for five miles. I personally get way more out of a good sprinting workout than what most people consider cardio.

Thread Information