mastablasta7 is offline Associate Member

Dumbbell vs Barbell Bench

Ok so ive been doing nothing but barbell for the last few months and i have got alot stronger and bigger. I was wondering if anyone does Barbell and Dumbbell in the same workout? Im looking to add a little more shape to my chest.

Heres my thoughts:

Flat Bench BB 3x6
    Incline Bnech BB 3x6
    Flat Bench DB 1x12
    Incline Bench DB 1x12
    3 way Cable Flies 1x12 for each

Usually i would just do that same workout without the Dumbbells and usually do more sets on flies. Thoughts please.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    I think you should change from DB's to BB every 3 months or so. I like to have flat BB and decline DB, then next time in 3 months do flat DB and decline BB. I usually do very steep incline on Shoulder days lately.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Once you have hit a mucle in one plane of movement there is no need to hit it again in the same plane. You should have taken those fiber to failure and beyond IMO in the first movement

What im saying is dont do two flat movements and two incline

Do db inc then bb flat for example. Then add flys, dips or decline if you wish

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I would give go and see how it feels/results.

I like how you only have one set for each of the dumbells movements and higher reps.....dumbbells force you to stabilize the weight more than barbells, more of a natural movement, lesser injuy risk, go to real failure with Db without a spotter, so I'm sure you will be well taxed.

tjax03 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta7 View Post
    Ok so ive been doing nothing but barbell for the last few months and i have got alot stronger and bigger. I was wondering if anyone does Barbell and Dumbbell in the same workout? Im looking to add a little more shape to my chest.

Heres my thoughts:

Flat Bench BB 3x6
    Incline Bnech BB 3x6
    Flat Bench DB 1x12
    Incline Bench DB 1x12
    3 way Cable Flies 1x12 for each

Usually i would just do that same workout without the Dumbbells and usually do more sets on flies. Thoughts please.
    If you workout alone, I would just use dumbbells for all pressing movements, as you can train to failure without danger. I personally prefer dumbbells over barbell presses because I feel less strain on my rotator cuffs and more emphasis on the pec with dumbbells. Also, if you ever do decline presses, they are not very good with a bar, as the range of motion os quite limited. However, with dumbbells they are an excellent exercise for building up the overall chest with an emphasis on the lower part. I also like that with dumbbell presses, one can bring the two dumbbells together at the top of the movement in order to place more emphasis on the inner portion of the chest.

maxwkw is offline Associate Member
    I do them both in the same workout (but I'm a powerlifter) so my bench workout goes as follows

bench (high intensity low volume)
    db bench (lower intensity higher volume)

clayton2127 is offline Junior Member
    i think it also depends on the person, like everything else. i always thought that db presses were better because u r using the stabilizer muscles. plus for me, its a security thing.. cant get the dumbbells up? just drop em..using the bar? well.. tough S. lol

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    i do this routine:

Flat Bench BB 4x6-8
    Incline Bench DB 3x10-12
    Flat Bench DB 3x10-12
    Cable Flies 3x12

my chest is one of my best features

Thread Information