SG2009 is offline Member

Puillups and dips??

what's the secret to doing pull ups and dips without any sweat? My current weight fluctuate between 209-222Ibs

bjpennnn is offline American Psycho
    Doing more pull ups and dips. just have to bang them out man, also when i was younger i would do them weighted to break plateaus in how many i could do. I can bang out 30 un weighted dips no problem after a full workout.

bodybuilder is offline Senior Member
    Just man up and do em. With time you will see you are able to do more and more.

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    If you're just looking for #'s yeah you just bang them out, and you could do kipping pull ups. If you're trying to build muscle though, I'd do them real slow and squeeze them, make them hurt. They're both great exercises! Pull ups are commonly butchered though because people are so concerned with how many they do. Yeah sure I could bang out like 30+ kipping pull ups, but if I do them slow and methodically and really get the most out of each rep I doubt I'll get past 10. Same with dips; although they are a little harder to mess up, you can get more bang for your buck on them by concentrating on the movement.

n00bs is offline Member
    Use bands they help alot if you are quit heavy and are aiming for more thne 10 reps...

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Work on your negitives, slow and controlled. Set up with a step/box so that with a little kickoff you can past your sticking points, use this method less as your abilities increase.

I really don't like pullups and I suck at them, but I do them.... dips, 100+ strapped on, love em.

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n00bs View Post
    Use bands they help alot if you are quit heavy and are aiming for more thne 10 reps...
    I disagree with band use, if you mean usage on the negitive, this why assisted dip/pull up machines dont don't anything for you.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Have a training partner help u in the concentric part of the movement once you cannot do any by urself

Did these last week and my lats were fuked for 5 days

n00bs is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by terraj View Post
    I disagree with band use, if you mean usage on the negitive, this why assisted dip/pull up machines dont don't anything for you.
    Of course they do...

If your 110+kg and u cant do multiple bodyweight wide chins then having a band to lighten the load is going to allow you to work on it until you can.. Im not saying for people that can im saying its a means to an end.. If your training at a gym go do lat pulldown but if your at home like alot of us use a band its like $20 and will allow you to be able to make it on your own.. I suck at wide wide chins. I am using a band for the next 4 weeks to get into it.

Will see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by n00bs View Post
    Of course they do...

If your 110+kg and u cant do multiple bodyweight wide chins then having a band to lighten the load is going to allow you to work on it until you can.. Im not saying for people that can im saying its a means to an end.. If your training at a gym go do lat pulldown but if your at home like alot of us use a band its like $20 and will allow you to be able to make it on your own.. I suck at wide wide chins. I am using a band for the next 4 weeks to get into it.

Will see what happens.
    Except most people use the lat pull down machine incorrectly It should be called the full-body-heave-down. I think as previously mentioned negatives would be the best bet if you can only do a couple pull ups, for the obvious reason that you can eccentrically lower body more times than you can pull it up, and it's a great muscle builder too!

SG2009 is offline Member
    Thanks everyone, I man up, focus on my negatives and see what;s up.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Can't afford bands, use used inner tubes. Work like a charm!

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by SG2009 View Post
    what's the secret to doing pull ups and dips without any sweat? My current weight fluctuate between 209-222Ibs
    do them in a temperature controlled room or put a fan in front of you while you do them. just gotta keep your body temp down if you don't want to sweat. next question

SG2009 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur View Post
    do them in a temperature controlled room or put a fan in front of you while you do them. just gotta keep your body temp down if you don't want to sweat. next question
    hahahahah thanks 4 taking time to write here.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    there was a guy at my old gym with a huge back and he used to strap on like 50-100lbs.. and climb up on the bar and then go down as slowly as possible.. then drop.. climb back up and repeat.. s basically doing weighted negatives..

f.batista is offline New Member
    yesterday i did pull ups in the gym and at the end of my set i raise my knees in front so i can do another few rep...then suddenly the gym owner tells me to keep my knees down,i didn't ask him why but until today it still bothers me...can anybody tells me the difference doing then with knees down&knees up?

IDK maybe he was telling you not to "cheat" on the last few reps. Regardless, he should prob keep his comments to himself.

f.batista is offline New Member
    i thought cheating in pullups is kipping and swinging...btw i was doing behind the neck pullups...

Quote Originally Posted by f.batista View Post
    i thought cheating in pullups is kipping and swinging...btw i was doing behind the neck pullups...
    Well cheating I guess would be doing anything to make it easier. Regardless, I don't know why he said that, some old guys are just a little crusty.

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by f.batista View Post
    You said you lift them to get that last rep.

If it helps you to get more than usual then it is cheating the rep. I wouldnt worry about it for one rep but im sure he was just trying to get you not to cheat

RaZr is offline Member
    Just do it slow and steady, When I dip I usually strap up an extra 45 pounds and just do 3x12 very slowly. With pull ups I use body weight and do 3 very slow sets of 8-10 reps.

SG2009 is offline Member
    hey fellows....i perform 4 set of pullups at 6 reps today with no problem ...and it feels gud. I didn't believe I did it. I went to gymn and that was the first exercise I did after stretch....the only problem I did close grip.....any tips on wide grip.....that one sucks.....help with ideas!!!!

RaZr is offline Member
    Just got to keep doing it man only way to improve i started with 3 sets of 3

SG2009 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaZr View Post
    Just got to keep doing it man only way to improve i started with 3 sets of 3
    yeah bro...but wide grip kinda difficult, any technik to help get it easier?

aedanman is offline Junior Member
    better to do 2 sets of heavy semi-throw up and 2 set assisted? or is the heavy weight a waste of time?
    Last edited by aedanman; 03-05-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aedanman View Post
    better to do 2 sets of heavy semi-throw up and 2 set assisted? or is the heavy weight a waste of time?
    I'd stick to working them out like you would your other muscles. Assuming you have a pretty basic workout regimen, I'd do 8-12 strict reps of whatever weight allows you to do only 8-12 reps. If you want to throw on heavy weight, as mentioned previously in the thread, weighted negatives are effective. I'd avoid the "semi-throw up" (If you want to cheat to get 1 or 2 semi reps in at the end that's up to you) and also avoid the assisted ones too.

RaZr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SG2009 View Post
    yeah bro...but wide grip kinda difficult, any technik to help get it easier?
    No real techniques i just try to keep it slow and controlled, none of kipping nonsense

Thread Information