MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"

Cardio on Treadmill ? about incline/speed/timing

just curious to hear a few of yours routine on the treadmill.. i was planning on doing stairmaster, but then i realized that the machine i thought was a stairmaster was some kind of cross country crap machine... so anyways.. i was wondering how you guys do it.. do you do like 5mph at an incline of 5?? or 8mph at 0 for 2 min then 5mph for 2 min or what?? just trying to get some ideas for my PWO run/jog/walk.. starting at 20 min intend to get up to 30-40 eventually.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    What puts my HR in the correct range isnt necessarily what going to put yours in the correct range, actually I am postive they wont be the same. If you are doing fasted steady state cardio pick an intensity that gets you in that 120-135 range and keep it there. You might have to slow it down or back off the incline after a certain amount of minutes to keep from getting too high until you get into better condition.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    What puts my HR in the correct range isnt necessarily what going to put yours in the correct range, actually I am positive they wont be the same. If you are doing fasted steady state cardio pick an intensity that gets you in that 120-135 range and keep it there. You might have to slow it down or back off the incline after a certain amount of minutes to keep from getting too high until you get into better condition.
    ok i have a heart rate monitor so that is no problem.. so just keep it between 120-135?? my resting heart rate is high 90's (even when i am not on clen ). (just tested it, was 98 right now sitting on my couch watching tv).. so should i shoot for something little higher than that since most people's heart rate is about 20bpm lower than mine? so say maybe 130-150?

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Your resting HR is elevated because you are overweight and out of shape. Your heart is having to work much harder than it should largely due to those circumstances. I dont mean that to sound like a personal attack just stating the facts. That alone should keep you motivated to stay on track. I would be very careful with the clen as well knowing this. If it were me I would drop it altogether and lose it through diet and cardio alone. That said, the 120-135 range should still work quite well for you, no need to jack it up faster than that. I would chart that resting HR and see how much it drop as you shed some of these unwanted lbs.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Your resting HR is elevated because you are overweight and out of shape. Your heart is having to work much harder than it should largely due to those circumstances. I dont mean that to sound like a personal attack just stating the facts. That alone should keep you motivated to stay on track. I would be very careful with the clen as well knowing this. If it were me I would drop it altogether and lose it through diet and cardio alone. That said, the 120-135 range should still work quite well for you, no need to jack it up faster than that. I would chart that resting HR and see how much it drop as you shed some of these unwanted lbs.
    Good advice as always fireguy! OP, you really need to work on getting your resting HR down into the 60s BPM, so like fireguy said your heart isn't working overtime 24/7. Also, it is best to take your resting HR first thing in the morning when you wake.

yeah.. that is what i have read too.. basically the higher your heart rate the more unhealthy you are and the shorter you live.. I am curious if my exorbitant amount of cocaine usage in college contributes to this a bit a well?? i suppose we will see what happens when i lose the fat and if my HR goes down or not.. i don't think i will ever get to 60.. but 80 would be nice... it has a lot to do with cardio as well doesn't it?? i.e. just running a few miles a day gets this down a lot?? is it not more about that than it is with the extra fat on my body?

anyways.. doing a moderate cycle on the stationary bike going 17-18kph at 5 out of 8 resistance kept me at 145bpm.. so i can only imagine where it is at during rugby practice..

Thread Information