musclestack is offline Productive Member

new workout regime?

I just started bulking again last week. I'm going to, at first continue with my usual workout routine, but I've been using this routine ever since I started lifting (about 5 years ago). I suppose if I'm gaining, I will stick to it, but could someone suggest another workout routine in place of the one below just in case I plateau or just want something different? Just looking for alternatives to what I'm doing now....

I train in a private gym at work, so machines and dumbell weights are limited.
    Note: All exercises are 4 sets of 10-8-6-6(last one on main exercises to failure).

Monday: Back
    bent over barbell rows
    seated rows (machine)
    pullovers (laying on back; using the curl bar)
    dumbell rows
    *there is no machine that allows me to do weighted pull-downs.

Tuesday: Chest
    flat barbell bench
    incline barbell bench
    dumbell flys
    machine flys
    dips (unweighted)
    *There are not enough dumbells to do dumbell bench effectively. They only go up to 30kg.

Wednesday: Legs
    barbell squats
    leg press (machine)
    straight-legged dead lifts
    leg extensions (machine)
    leg curls (machine)

Thursday: Shoulders
    barbell military press
    machine military press (hand grips in different direction than barbell press)
    dumbell arm raises (not sure if that's what it's called; I keep arms straight, standing up, feet forward, and raise each arm individually).
    windmills (lol...that's what I call them anyway.....light dumbells, standing up, start with dumbells at sides, then raise them in the shape of a circle over my head).

Friday: Arms
    curl bar curls (seated)
    dumbell curls (seated)
    tricep pull downs (machine)
    tricep dumbell presses (seated on bench, dumbell behind the head).
    I end workout with hands on one flat bench and feet on another doing presses up and down, with a 20kg weight on my lap.

Alright, any suggestions? I know my resources are limited; just wondering if anyone has any creative ideas to switch it up a bit?

nav13 is offline Junior Member
    There are many different ways to mix up a routine. If you have been doing that same routine for 5 years thats not a good thing. You need to constantly keep changing up your routine to trick your muscles and keep em guessing. Can you only work out one the weekdays since that is when you work?

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    No, I can work out any day of the week. My house is on the work premises, and the gym is literally about a 7 minute jog from my house. Have my own key.

Gucks is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post
    I just started bulking again last week. I'm going to, at first continue with my usual workout routine, but I've been using this routine ever since I started lifting (about 5 years ago). I suppose if I'm gaining, I will stick to it, but could someone suggest another workout routine in place of the one below just in case I plateau or just want something different? Just looking for alternatives to what I'm doing now....

I train in a private gym at work, so machines and dumbell weights are limited.
    Note: All exercises are 4 sets of 10-8-6-6(last one on main exercises to failure).

Monday: Back
    bent over barbell rows
    seated rows (machine) dont go 2 rows in a row. put an excerise inbetween.
    pullovers (laying on back; using the curl bar) this is a chest exercise...it barely brings lats in
    dumbell rows why so many rows?! ditch this exercise
    add in latpull down and deadlifts instead of pullovers and dumbell rows.

*there is no machine that allows me to do weighted pull-downs.

Tuesday: Chest
    flat barbell bench
    incline barbell bench
    dumbell flys
    machine flys
    dips (unweighted) descent chest day.
    *There are not enough dumbells to do dumbell bench effectively. They only go up to 30kg.

Wednesday: Legs
    barbell squats
    leg press (machine)
    straight-legged dead lifts
    leg extensions (machine)
    leg curls (machine) mix this up, ur going from essentially the same exercises. squats to leg press. ditch deadlifts. if u want to focus on ur glutes do some hack squats.

Thursday: Shoulders
    barbell military press
    machine military press (hand grips in different direction than barbell press) no need 4 both, ditch the machine press
    dumbell arm raises (not sure if that's what it's called; I keep arms straight, standing up, feet forward, and raise each arm individually). its called laterals :P raise both at a time though. unless u mean front raises?
    windmills (lol...that's what I call them anyway.....light dumbells, standing up, start with dumbells at sides, then raise them in the shape of a circle over my head). dont like it, do reverse flys instead. get shrugs in there aswell.

Friday: Arms
    curl bar curls (seated) preacher curls?
    dumbell curls (seated) do hammer curls instead
    tricep pull downs (machine)
    tricep dumbell presses (seated on bench, dumbell behind the head). its called EZ curl bar :P and go bicep - tricep - bicep - tricep for exercises. i prefer skull crushers ro tricep dumbell press. u get better form.
    I end workout with hands on one flat bench and feet on another doing presses up and down, with a 20kg weight on my lap.

Alright, any suggestions? I know my resources are limited; just wondering if anyone has any creative ideas to switch it up a bit?
    u need to mix ur routine up a bit and change exercises. i dont particularly like it but the changes i made will improve it alot.

I would suggest changing the reps to say 3x15 if you have always done sets in the 10-8-6-6 manner. You could also switch up the days you work body parts. EX: mon: chest/back Tues: rest Wed: legs Thurs: shoulders Fri: rest sat: bis/tris sun:rest
    or something like mon: chest/tris tues: rest wed: back/bis thurs: rest fri: shoulders sat: legs sun: rest. These are all suggestions on how you can change up the work out to help increase the gains made. If you have been doing the above routine for 5 years straight I think it is time for a change.

Gucks is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nav13 View Post
    I would suggest changing the reps to say 3x15 if you have always done sets in the 10-8-6-6 manner. You could also switch up the days you work body parts. EX: mon: chest/back Tues: rest Wed: legs Thurs: shoulders Fri: rest sat: bis/tris sun:rest
    or something like mon: chest/tris tues: rest wed: back/bis thurs: rest fri: shoulders sat: legs sun: rest. These are all suggestions on how you can change up the work out to help increase the gains made. If you have been doing the above routine for 5 years straight I think it is time for a change.
    15 reps? nav, r u serious? the only thing i wuld ever do 15 reps for is calves! 10 max for bulking!

DFOSTER is offline Junior Member
    i have had the best luck with as heavy weight as possible 8 reps for bulking

o my bad didn't notice him say bulking.

Thread Information