Thread: Cardio Question

leebo73 is offline Junior Member

Cardio Question

I hit the gym at least 4x/wk I always do 30 minutes on the elliptical not only as my warm up but for my fat burning cardio. I due hiit with 3 mins at a moderate pace and 2 mins at an all out sprint. I was reading that your body doesnt really start burning fat until like 20-30 mins after you start your cardio as its using all your stored energy first. Now for the question ..With that theory in mind should I be doing my weight training first , will that use all my stored energy , and do cardio last ? Does it make a difference , or do I have this all wrong to begin with ?

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Yes, weight training first will help deplete your glycogen stores enabling you to get into fat burning mode much quicker when you do your cardio. This is the same reason many prefer fasted AM cardio.

leebo73 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks so much !! I thought I was just overthinking things.

Gucks is offline Member
    my trainers advice is to do 2 20mins session of cardio after resistance training, 4mins break inbetween. works 4 me! u had the right logic

pebble is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    Yes, weight training first will help deplete your glycogen stores enabling you to get into fat burning mode much quicker when you do your cardio. This is the same reason many prefer fasted AM cardio.
    It also promotes lipolysis through the release of hormones and catecholamine’s which furthermore enables one to enter fatty acid oxidation.

pebble is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gucks View Post
    my trainers advice is to do 2 20mins session of cardio after resistance training, 4mins break inbetween. works 4 me! u had the right logic
    If he is doing this for the logic I think (reduce cortisol) it is not a long enough time period. Search pubmed for continuous vs discontinuous cardio and cortisol.

Daboss is offline New Member
    So if you start the workout on an empty stomachin the morning can you do straight cardio without the need to wait the 20-30 minutes to start burning fat?

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboss View Post
    So if you start the workout on an empty stomachin the morning can you do straight cardio without the need to wait the 20-30 minutes to start burning fat?
    Not sure exactly what you are asking but the theory behind morning cardio is your body has been fasting overnight while you sleep, so glycogen stores are low in which your body is able to burn fat more effeciently at this point. 30-45 low intensity steady state (LISS) cardio is ideal in this situation for burning fat. You can ingest BCAA's before morning cardio if you feel muscle is being burnt. Note: I don't advise HIIT cardio nor weight training in the am without carbs (glycogen) in your system.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboss View Post
    You are always burning a combination of fats, carbs (glycogen) and even protein. By timing meals, macronutrients and cardio (time and intensity) we can alter the ratio of which energy source our body uses. You never burn 100% stored bodyfat as an energy source regardless of when you do cardio.

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    The body burns energy in a certain order, Stored ATP is immediate energy, then glycogen, used to create more ATP, then fat. So IMHO the best way to get yourself into fat burning mode is to warm up with interval training even just 10 minutes to start the glycogen burning process, followed by resistance training to deplete glycogen stores, then imediate HIIT after.

Endurance athletes refer to the point that you're body runs extremely low on glyogen as "hitting the wall" You're body wants you to stop because its telling you theres nothing left. Thats the point the body starts to cannabolize its own fat for energy. But in the case of endurance athletes, they always carbo load resulting in between 2-3 hours worth of glycogen fuel to burn, So by the last hour of a marathon an endurance athlete has already hit the wall and the body's main source of energy at that time is fat stores.

So that definitley presents the argument for fasted cardio, personally I wouldn't do less than 30 minutes of cardio after weight training, if my goal was cutting fat

outmama is offline New Member
    In the afternoon I lift intensely (fighting back the nausea) then immedialy go to fat burning cardio for 30-60 minutes. My question is what kind of PWO drink or drinks should I consume and when should I consume them? I heard that taking in protien will stop the body from burning the fat and slow the metabolism down. But I have also read that post work out is the time to consume Whey to help rebuild muscles..

Thread Information