Thread: Arms Routine

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member

Arms Routine

My workouts change every time I walk into the gym. The movements, the order in which I do them, everything. For arms, I always like to do a compound staple followed by some "sculpting" type exercises and I super-set bis/tris. The workouts are fast and intense. I occasionally implement negatives and drop-sets but usually just go through the motions and I've never seen a lack of results. Still, it's starting to get stale and I don't look forward to it as much as I used to. I'm looking to add some creative exercises, maybe even ones you guys have "invented" - I know I've made up a few, lol.

As of right now, my main movements for biceps that I'll rotate are:

- wide-grip straight bar curls - almost FRM but not quite all the way down to maintain tension. Last set is usually just two reps with a very heavy bar - the first being a slow controlled "up" with a long negative, the second, I have to cheat to get it back up and follow with a long negative.

- EZ bar preacher curls - almost FRM, no lockout at the bottom. Solid form, preacher tucked into armpits

- Standing DB curls. I come up wide, hold at the top for 2 seconds, go down slow over another 2-3 and repeat. I used to do alternating arm DB curls but replaced with these as I don't like the idea of a rest period while alternating.

For triceps I'll rotate:

- Overhead DB or steep EZ bar extension, two-hands. I'm always conflicted as to how wide I should let my elbows come out. I try to keep them tucked in pretty tight, otherwise I find the outer portion of my upper arm is left out.

- EZ bar Skullcrushers on a variation of angles - nice, slow negative phase over 2-3 seconds. Also try to keep those elbows in pretty tight.

- Weighted dips. Slow negative phase, upward explosion. Try to keep chest parallel to avoid chest involvement.

For my bicep routine I also include a peak specific movement (bent over concentration curls, standing cable curls) and a hammer curl (cable rope with negatives, DB wide, DB close, DB on incline bench elbows dangling).

For triceps, I'll include 3 other movements as I find them hard to overtrain. A pressdown (usually kneeling with cable rope - good form all the way out to my sides) A reverse grip (usually reverse close-grip Bench or one arm reverse-grip press downs or kickbacks). and A close-grip bench which is pretty standard or a close-grip pushup on a medicine ball with my feel elevated. I know many guys choose close-grip bench as a main staple but it doesn't work me over as well as skullcrushers/overhead presses.

Anyway - if you've read this far you have an idea of what I'm doing and what I should be doing based on what you're doing! Let's hear it.

Again, I'm not looking for a completely revamped routine - my arms have developed well as compared to the rest of me - just looking for some fresh material.

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Really sounds like you know your training when it comes to arms. I think you may be overtraining slightly but thats just a personal opinion. Arms look good in your avi.
    I have an A and B arm routine and rotate each week.

A.)

Close Grip Bench (4x5-8reps)
    Weighted Dips (3x6-8 reps) SUPERSETTED with Rope Push Downs (3x10-12 reps)
    Standing BB Curl (Almost FRM- same as you) (3x6-8reps)
    Close Grip Preacher (3x10-12 reps)

B.)
    Reverse Grip Smith (4x5-8 reps)
    Skull Crushers (3x6-8reps) SUPERSETTED with V-bar Push Downs (3x10-12 reps)
    Seated DB Curls (3x6-8 reps)
    Standing Hammer Curls (3x10-12 reps)

I try to go heavy on the first two compound exersizes, then go high reps on the cable movements.

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    I do an interesting variation of a concentraition curl to end my workout. I start out doin a regular concentration curl but at the top of the rep i suppinate in to more of a hammer curl grip forr the negative portion of the excersise, then the next contraction is started as a hammer concentration curl and supenated back at the end to a normal grip, Its almost like doing one of each but by twisting the wrist in different directions at the peak contraction point i feel i better engage different heads of the bicept, and get a great pump. In the past year i've managed to put a little over .5 inch on each arm but i still have a long way to go. I probably didn' invent the excersise but it might be something new to you
    Last edited by scotty51312; 03-14-2011 at 02:41 PM.

vishus is offline Knowledgeable Member
    heres what i am doing now:

rope pushdowns: 4 x20
    skulls: 3 x 12
    triceps machine: 4 x 15
    straight bar pushdown: 4 X20

preacher curl machine: 4 x 15
    hammer curl: 3 x 8-10
    one arm DB preacher: 3 x 15
    standing cable curl: 3 x 20

people train arms too heavy, they are a smaller muscle group that requires pumping the sh1t outta them to grow (for me at least) u train them heavy with your presses and rows. should give it a try sometime

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    I would defo throw some incline curls in there at the end

I do these to complete failure, untill my arm no longer comes up at all

At the end im doing 1/8th reps but they kill

I turn them into hammer curls at the end aswell

At the begining i do them both arms at the same time and keep a supinated grip the whole time

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    ******'s routine looks legit. just a bit of advice, there really is no such thing as a "sculpting" exercise. Lift weights to your full potential, and if your genetics are right, and the muscles are attached in the right spots then they will come out looking good. Good either way, but better if you were lucky with genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by ****** View Post
    Really sounds like you know your training when it comes to arms. I think you may be overtraining slightly but thats just a personal opinion. Arms look good in your avi.
    I have an A and B arm routine and rotate each week.

A.)

Close Grip Bench (4x5-8reps)
    Weighted Dips (3x6-8 reps) SUPERSETTED with Rope Push Downs (3x10-12 reps)
    Standing BB Curl (Almost FRM- same as you) (3x6-8reps)
    Close Grip Preacher (3x10-12 reps)

B.)
    Reverse Grip Smith (4x5-8 reps)
    Skull Crushers (3x6-8reps) SUPERSETTED with V-bar Push Downs (3x10-12 reps)
    Seated DB Curls (3x6-8 reps)
    Standing Hammer Curls (3x10-12 reps)

I try to go heavy on the first two compound exersizes, then go high reps on the cable movements.
    Definitely a nice routine here. I'm gonna try your Pushdown/Skullcrusher super-set as I think that might finally tear up my outer arm/lateral head. May also move my reverse-grip close-grip BP to Smith machine this week and see if I can't really focus on the upper 1/3rd of the motion with some negatives - kinda hard when balance is a factor with such a narrow grip.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04 View Post
    ******'s routine looks legit. just a bit of advice, there really is no such thing as a "sculpting" exercise. Lift weights to your full potential, and if your genetics are right, and the muscles are attached in the right spots then they will come out looking good. Good either way, but better if you were lucky with genetics.
    I know that "sculpting" comes down to genetics, body fat, and overall mass - simply meant non-compound movements that target different insertion points.

Also, good suggestions Base and Scotty, definitely going to incorporate. You guys know from the diet section, I'm huge on trial and error.

Anyway, I'm sure it's been done before but I did something that destroyed my biceps this week before your replies came in.

Grabbed a 70 lb barbell with a wide grip and reversed myself on an incline bench with the headrest in-line with the top of my chest and my armpits tucked at the sides. With my arms dangling, I did FRM curls. 2 seconds up, 3 down - all the way to the top. Even with such a light weight, I was failing to bring my elbows beyond perpendicular to my upper arm. Crazy.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    Also, good suggestions Base and Scotty, definitely going to incorporate. You guys know from the diet section, I'm huge on trial and error.

Anyway, I'm sure it's been done before but I did something that destroyed my biceps this week before your replies came in.

Grabbed a 70 lb barbell with a wide grip and reversed myself on an incline bench with the headrest in-line with the top of my chest and my armpits tucked at the sides. With my arms dangling, I did FRM curls. 2 seconds up, 3 down - all the way to the top. Even with such a light weight, I was failing to bring my elbows beyond perpendicular to my upper arm. Crazy.
    Similar to 'spider curls' if u have ever done them

savking is offline Junior Member
    Yeah Ive started using that exercise get a crazy pump and stretch

jl39 is offline Associate Member
    ya iv been reading alot about those spider curls gonna try that , i like cable skullcrushers on a high rep day, and i really like giant sets reverse grip push downs, superset with cable skullcrusher superset wiith bench dips with or without a plate all for 25 reps each for a good burnout that will swell u up nice!

Thread Information