BrysZ is offline Associate Member

Attention Ladies...looking for advice to give my 15 year old daughter...

My daughter is starting to see the signs of growing older and I am happy to see she is concerned about her fitness and appearance. She is 15 and has been doing gymnastics since she was 3 and competively since she was 10. Last year she suffered a rotary cuff injury and had to take many months off. She is VERY strong and fit but is looking "soft" lately and is really concerned about it.

Her diet is still typical of a young child/teen. Mostly junk food and sweets. She skips meals and eats sporadically. It doesn't help that I prepare and eat by myself because of my fitness goals and her mother is not a good influence regarding healthy eating.

She practices gymnastics 4 days per week for a total of 14 hours. Some days its hard core conditioning other days she is merely working on skills and routines.

I am very uninformed on female fitness and dieting...especailly young teens. I want to help her but I also want to give her the best information possible. I dont want her to be nutrionally at risk or give her advice that will adversely affect her goals or attitude toward fitness.

Thank you very much for any advice you may have for us!!!

maxwkw is offline Associate Member
    In my opinion at this age the most important thing will be building good habits. If you can suggest a proper meal here and there and explain why you eat and train it would be more beneficial than overwhelming her with too much change all at once.

As far as training, she was injured. Is she healthy now? If she is then she can do anything that she wants, bring her to the gym and just let her find something that she enjoys.

-teach good habits
    -lead by example
    -let her figure out what she enjoys about training
    -teach good habits rather than preaching overly restrictive diets.

BrysZ is offline Associate Member
    Her shoulder has made a full recovery. She is able to do any exercise she would like. She asks me for exercises and I am not sure what type of routine she should be on. I think she gets ample conditioning being a level 8 gymnast. I know her concern is her stomach and any excess flab. Her diet is a major concern of mine. She is a picky eater and typically does not care for healthy snacks. She went to the gym with me last night and spent most the time doing abdominal exercises and cardio. I don't know what else to suggest right now. I know this isnt the diet section but what should here percentages of protein, carb, fat be and what about sugar and dairy? I know young women need calcium and other vitamins. Another thing is she doesn't take any daily supplements. vitamins or other...thank you!

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    IMO have her to do the basic pressing movements, with dumbells, and box squats with an ephasis on exploding up along with a basic lat pull and row excersise. Gymnastics is a lot of static resistance, and explosive movments she needs something a little more dynamic that fully stretches and contracts muscles. This is just my opinion and i'd like to see female opinion as well
    Last edited by scotty51312; 03-16-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Kawigirl is offline Knowledgeable~Female Member
    Only my opinion...I don't think any girl at that age should be weight training untill their past their growth spurts. Gymnastics has shown already to hinder normal growth of organs, ligaments...etc.

But, I'm no physician. I would ask a professionals opinion...and not just a GP

She's 15...this is in the middle where body image and self conscience plays a major role of what a "healthy" body should actually be.

Yes...absolutely be a role model....and talk to your wife in the retrospect as well.

When it comes to your opinion of her being "soft" - keep this to yourself!!! Wanna know why she's soft...cause she's in puberty!!!!!

Females have a hard enough time with peer pressure from other girls being competitive, boy's ignorances at that age, delusional media of what a females body should be at that age.

Let her be her...yes guide her with choosing better food choices; but also show her its OK to be HER...as she is!!! And that she's a beautiful girl no matter what anyone else says.

If she doesn't accept herself and think she's beautiful as she is; how will anyone else.

You'd be amazed at how far a dad's and mom's comments can play apart on their daughter's body image!

Believe me........
    Last edited by Kawigirl; 03-16-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawigirl View Post
    Only my opinion...I don't think any girl at that age should be weight training untill their past their growth spurts. Gymnastics has shown already to hinder normal growth of organs, ligaments...etc.

You are 100% correct on this one, many of my friends (doctors of all fields) agree with your statement... you can even see it in most of the gymnasts, dont see a lot of them that get very tall.

Quote Originally Posted by BrysZ View Post
    on female fitness and dieting...especailly young teens. I want to help her but I also want to give her the best information possible. I dont want her to be nutrionally at risk or give her advice that will adversely affect her goals or attitude toward fitness.
    this is a big problem with teenagers now adays. They see all these atheletes/celebrities with 6 packs and lean bodies and try to follow the same kind of diet they read about when cutting and this is NOT in the slightest bit healthy for someone who is growing. Your typical "healthy eating" plan is all one really needs at that age but the incorporation of activity is what keeps the weight down

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawigirl View Post

She's 15...this is in the middle where body image and self conscience plays a major role of what a "healthy" body should actually be.

Yes...absolutely be a role model....and talk to your wife in the retrospect as well.

When it comes to your opinion of her being "soft" - keep this to yourself!!! Wanna know why she's soft...cause she's in puberty!!!!!

Females have a hard enough time with peer pressure from other girls being competitive, boy's ignorances at that age, delusional media of what a females body should be at that age.

Let her be her...yes guide her with choosing better food choices; but also show her its OK to be HER...as she is!!! And that she's a beautiful girl no matter what anyone else says.

If she doesn't accept herself and think she's beautiful as she is; how will anyone else.

You'd be amazed at how far a dad's and mom's comments can play apart on their daughter's body image!

Believe me........
    THIS x's 2

Thread Information