Thread: Why is this?

Mackn is offline Associate Member

Why is this?

Why does 99% of everyone train multiple days in a row if the below statement is true? So if you workout 2 days in a row your muscle is not fully getting recovered? Has anyone here tried a 5x5 split only 3 days a week?

A muscle will not grow until it's recovered. The
    muscle will not begin to recover until the nervous
    system is recovered. It takes roughly 24hours for the
    nervous system to recover from a workout. Only then
    will the muscle begin to recover and grow. So, you
    should never train 2 days in a row. Even if you train
    different bodyparts, you still use the same nervous
    system. You train 2 days in a row, your nervous system
    recovers, but by the time the muscles begin to, you
    train again, so the body has to concentrate again on
    recovering the nervous system.
    Last edited by Mackn; 03-23-2011 at 02:41 PM.

bump

Bumppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackn View Post
    Why does 99% of everyone train multiple days in a row if the below statement is true? So if you workout 2 days in a row your muscle is not fully getting recovered? Has anyone here tried a 5x5 split only 3 days a week?

A muscle will not grow until it's recovered. The
    muscle will not begin to recover until the nervous
    system is recovered. It takes roughly 24hours for the
    nervous system to recover from a workout. Only then
    will the muscle begin to recover and grow. So, you
    should never train 2 days in a row. Even if you train
    different bodyparts, you still use the same nervous
    system. You train 2 days in a row, your nervous system
    recovers, but by the time the muscles begin to, you
    train again, so the body has to concentrate again on
    recovering the nervous system.
    Yes I know this is the wrong section for this post but no one is hardly in the other section.
    Where did this come from? Rubbish imo

Its from out of the stickys above

BiG SEXi DAMAGE is offline Junior Member
    This is grea

Great info bro and it is true but over time of training heavy you are streanghning your nervios system so beginers day on day off is great more advanced you get two on one off is recomended

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    I've done the 5x5, 3-day split and I've done two day splits as well. The above poster is correct, the heavier your train the more recovery you need. It's your CNS that is taxed moreso than your muscles.

It's not necessarily necessary to always take that much time off. Splitting time between heavy workouts and light workouts will help stimulate your CNS and you won't overtrain as quickly. That's the concept most olympic lifting coaches use. I don't know if this could be applied to bodybuilding as there are many body part specific exercises. As a strength athlete, we don't, necessarily, focus on body parts, but rather specific lifts themselves.

CMB
    CMB is offline Senior Member
    I'm a young guy here, so maybe its because of that? But anyway, I would feel like crap working out EOD. I work out mon-fri and take the weekend off.

pebble is offline Associate Member
    Google GAS - general adaption syndrom; It stems from that theory. Or look up the fitness fatigue relationship by Bannister (orignal paper is from 82' I think)

5x5 three days a week can be great. I assume you are talking full body. Something like stronglifts, bill starrs, or starting strength right? Personally it’s not for me, I don’t find i progress well off of macrocycle’s of linear periodization unless I prep for it with some endurance , hypertrophy macros.

pebble is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    I've done the 5x5, 3-day split and I've done two day splits as well. The above poster is correct, the heavier your train the more recovery you need. It's your CNS that is taxed moreso than your muscles.

It's not necessarily necessary to always take that much time off. Splitting time between heavy workouts and light workouts will help stimulate your CNS and you won't overtrain as quickly. That's the concept most olympic lifting coaches use. I don't know if this could be applied to bodybuilding as there are many body part specific exercises. As a strength athlete, we don't, necessarily, focus on body parts, but rather specific lifts themselves.

What methodology do you follow?

I often use max effort + dynamic (or rep) work; 4 workouts a week, 1 on of each for upper and lower.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pebble View Post
    What methodology do you follow?

I often use max effort + dynamic (or rep) work; 4 workouts a week, 1 on of each for upper and lower.
    I use a Wendler's 5/3/1 variation tailored more for strongman/powerlifting combinations since I do both throughout the year. I don't really have a set amount of days a week, I workout, I listen to my body and only workout on the days I feel like it. Simply because I lift either very heavy or heavy in combination with lots of volume.

lucas7 is offline Associate Member
    I think its all about taking your time and slowly increasing your workload and strengthening your CNS

What worked good for me was....

begining stages of lifting

Monday - Full bodyworkout
    Tuesday - off
    Wednesday - Full bodyworkout
    Thursday - off
    Friday - Full bodyworkout
    Saturday - off
    Sunday - off

Got good gains but after 4 months i stalled so then increased workload too a 5 day a week one bodypart per day method but got nothing i felt my body was not ready for it yet, So then i tryed training every second day with a push and pull method

chest,triceps and shoulders
    OFF
    Back,Biceps and Legs
    Off
    Then repeat

Got good gains but after about 4 months i stalled so then increased workload to

Monday - Back
    Tuesday - Chest
    Wednesday - OFF
    Thursday - Legs
    Friday - Shoulders
    Saturday - Biceps,Triceps and Forearms
    Sunday - OFF

And this training method is now working great for me now but didnt work at the begining of my weightlifting

Hope that helps you...

Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post

Mean bro

Thread Information