DeFelice is offline New Member

Cool Why Train Legs?!

Out of all the men and women who train on a regular basis, the large majority tend to neglect to a large extent training their legs. Some may “train” their legs but to a much lesser degree and without the same intensity as other body parts.

One of the reasons I know this to be true is because I was exactly the same way. I naturally have very small legs and not only was it more painful to train them, it took more focus, gave less of the “feel good” pump, and wasn’t something that was going to get many compliments after hitting them hard for a couple months.

It wasn’t until I started working out with my cousin, who is blessed in the legs department, that I started to see what all the hype the vets of training where talking about when it came to the importance of training them. Sure, it is much more aesthetic to have legs that are in proportion to the rest of your body, but it goes a lot further than that.

The start up of legs is the hardest part and in my opinion is probably the time that most people decide they just aren’t that interested. I would guess that most men who train in the world probably are able to bench press as much as they squat, and some can even bench as much as they leg press. When looking at only the sheer size differences of the muscle groups, this doesn’t seem to make much sense.

Speaking of size, because your legs are the largest muscle group in the body, guess what, you get to experience the largest set of benefits to go along with them. Fat burning will skyrocket on the right leg plan. There is a reason the squat has been given the nickname the “kind of all exercises” and its because it’s the one that has the most results. Increasing the size of the your lean leg mass is the fastest way to change that mass ratio for your entire body.
    Legs get sore, much more so than other body parts, and unfortunately the soreness lasts for about twice as long. Also, unless you sit down all day, every step is gonna remind you that you trained them, and there where more than a couple muscle cell tears in the process. Painful, yes, reminder that they are getting bigger and stronger, of course.

I was sometimes uncomfortable in the gym when first training legs, almost a slight awkwardness of wondering if I was doing everything right. Squats, Dead-lifts, Lunges, Good-mornings, ect, are often done with improper form in the gym. They are also done the least in many gyms. I get more people looking at me doing lunges down the aisles of equipment than most other exercises, but I’ve realized that this is mostly due to the fact they’ve never tried it. Learn the right forms and stick to it. It’s tempting to stack the bar on a squat and knock some reps with partial movement, but trust me, keeping the weights down low enough to enable perfect form will get the real results. Dropping below 90 degrees on a squat will make the weight suddenly get a lot heavier.

Once your legs get used to these new exercises, they become more stable. In the first couple months, you may find your legs have a tendency to wobble during your lifts. The stabilizing muscles develop and a lot of this goes away. It will of course return on your 12th set of squats, but at this point you know your working hard!

When I started legs I hated them, now, they are my favorite group to work out. They last longer than other muscle groups, get great pumps, make me feel powerful, and definitely even you out when looking in the mirror. Besides, I’ve never heard a girl say how much she loves bird legs, but they sure do talk about a guys ass.

I used to call myself a hard gainer, but once you train legs hard, the weight will come twice as fast as it would without. Train hard!

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Thank you thank you, I can honestly say I am one of only about 5 people that train legs on a weekly basis. Most only focus on Chest and biceps.

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeFelice View Post
    Out of all the men and women who train on a regular basis, the large majority tend to neglect to a large extent training their legs. Some may “train” their legs but to a much lesser degree and without the same intensity as other body parts.

One of the reasons I know this to be true is because I was exactly the same way. I naturally have very small legs and not only was it more painful to train them, it took more focus, gave less of the “feel good” pump, and wasn’t something that was going to get many compliments after hitting them hard for a couple months.

It wasn’t until I started working out with my cousin, who is blessed in the legs department, that I started to see what all the hype the vets of training where talking about when it came to the importance of training them. Sure, it is much more aesthetic to have legs that are in proportion to the rest of your body, but it goes a lot further than that.

The start up of legs is the hardest part and in my opinion is probably the time that most people decide they just aren’t that interested. I would guess that most men who train in the world probably are able to bench press as much as they squat, and some can even bench as much as they leg press. When looking at only the sheer size differences of the muscle groups, this doesn’t seem to make much sense.

Speaking of size, because your legs are the largest muscle group in the body, guess what, you get to experience the largest set of benefits to go along with them. Fat burning will skyrocket on the right leg plan. There is a reason the squat has been given the nickname the “kind of all exercises” and its because it’s the one that has the most results. Increasing the size of the your lean leg mass is the fastest way to change that mass ratio for your entire body.
    Legs get sore, much more so than other body parts, and unfortunately the soreness lasts for about twice as long. Also, unless you sit down all day, every step is gonna remind you that you trained them, and there where more than a couple muscle cell tears in the process. Painful, yes, reminder that they are getting bigger and stronger, of course.

I was sometimes uncomfortable in the gym when first training legs, almost a slight awkwardness of wondering if I was doing everything right. Squats, Dead-lifts, Lunges, Good-mornings, ect, are often done with improper form in the gym. They are also done the least in many gyms. I get more people looking at me doing lunges down the aisles of equipment than most other exercises, but I’ve realized that this is mostly due to the fact they’ve never tried it. Learn the right forms and stick to it. It’s tempting to stack the bar on a squat and knock some reps with partial movement, but trust me, keeping the weights down low enough to enable perfect form will get the real results. Dropping below 90 degrees on a squat will make the weight suddenly get a lot heavier.

Once your legs get used to these new exercises, they become more stable. In the first couple months, you may find your legs have a tendency to wobble during your lifts. The stabilizing muscles develop and a lot of this goes away. It will of course return on your 12th set of squats, but at this point you know your working hard!

When I started legs I hated them, now, they are my favorite group to work out. They last longer than other muscle groups, get great pumps, make me feel powerful, and definitely even you out when looking in the mirror. Besides, I’ve never heard a girl say how much she loves bird legs, but they sure do talk about a guys ass.

I used to call myself a hard gainer, but once you train legs hard, the weight will come twice as fast as it would without. Train hard!
    absolutely totally agree, the only thing i think you forgot to mention is that if you dont train your legs your upper body will stop developing because of your bodies natural ability to stay in proportion.

Also 10x10 deep squats, this sorts the men from the boys

pebble is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rossapplecart View Post
    absolutely totally agree, the only thing i think you forgot to mention is that if you dont train your legs your upper body will stop developing because of your bodies natural ability to stay in proportion.

Also 10x10 deep squats, this sorts the men from the boys
    I agree with the general theme of the OPs post, but the part of your post in bold is ridiculous.

Hypertrophy is primarily local, not systemic. The body is constantly developing out of proportion as a result of the lifestyles we live.

As if you have never seen somebody with a larger than life upper body supported by some chicken legs.

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pebble View Post
    I agree with the general theme of the OPs post, but the part of your post in bold is ridiculous.

Hypertrophy is primarily local, not systemic. The body is constantly developing out of proportion as a result of the lifestyles we live.

As if you have never seen somebody with a larger than life upper body supported by some chicken legs.
    xxx2

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    My guess is the OP didnt write this, it looks like an exerpt to me. I really dont think the line of thinking applies to most guys on this board. Very few dont train legs that I know of.

kalspic is offline Senior Member
    ^^ i agree mostly, but we do have many guests who i guess don't train legs at all

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think amoung young males this is a really big problem, and one of the things I always try to remember to emphasize to young males who having trouble gaining.

Corpsman is offline Associate Member
    Because you can't fire a cannon from a rowboat

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsman View Post
    Because you can't fire a cannon from a rowboat
    Is that like "you can't drive a stake with a pin hammer"? That is what my uncle said when my aunt said he had a big *ss.

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    What? And I suppose training your legs doesn't release extra testosterone and endorphins and other good stuff ?

DFRELAT is offline Associate Member
    They all say they train legs and squat and yet we see countless pics of people posing in here without a single leg shot! Alot of people don't train legs cuz when you do them properly it's painfull shit! Lots of reps with lots of weight and ass to the grass squats ****ing hurts! lol Probably the hardest thing to do in the gym. I bug people in my gym, I live in Montréal and we have a long and cold winter over here, I'm always telling them how many months they got left til we start wearing shorts again and they can't hide those chicken legs anymore!

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    I loathed traing legs before, now it's my favourite day to train, I genuinly can't wait to train them. Finally finding the right training to activate growth has motovated me so much.

Dtrain17 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by auslifta View Post
    I loathed traing legs before, now it's my favourite day to train, I genuinly can't wait to train them. Finally finding the right training to activate growth has motovated me so much.
    Could you write what the right training was please?

InfiniteMuscle is offline Junior Member
    Nicely said!

Thread Information