R69
    R69 is offline Associate Member

Working out and being lean on ssri drug (anti anxiety)i threatment?

Working out and being lean on selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor drug (anty anxiety) threatment? Is it posiible? One of the sides on this med is gaining fat
    Last edited by R69; 04-04-2011 at 04:07 PM.

BiG SEXi DAMAGE is offline Junior Member
    take soming eles that will burn fat and watch what you eat

R69
    Its not what i asked

Ladyblahblah is offline Female Member
    I'm not sure which SSRI you are asking about because they are all different. However, every individual is different therefore will react differently to certain medications. I will try to answer your question as best as I can from my experience and hope this helps.

IMHO, I really think it all depends on your mindset. If you are depressed and begin feeling better once the medication begins to work you may begin to eat more thus gaining weight. Then again you may start eating less if you feel better. Again, everyone is different. Some ppl gain weight because they are depressed and resort to food for comfort. If you increase your serotonin levels you may not feel the need to eat to feel better. Increasing your serotonin levels will also possibly increase your energy levels and desire to do more things. If your energy is increased and you are more active then you will burn more calories.

My doctor said simply "pills do not have a caloric value therefore there is no reason you should gain weight". But this only made me ask more questions and I don't want to hijack your thread.

If you're worried about gaining weight just be sure you monitor what you consume and try to remain as active as you can. I'm sure someone with more scientific facts and info will be along shortly to help answer this for you.

R69
    Hi Lady, thanks for your post, im talking about the med called Lexapro . I know that this medications dont have a caloriv value but from what i have read on the i-net it seems that they can interfere with the metabolic rate and can rise some unwanted hormones in the body that can lead to gaining fat.

R69
    Hi Lady, thanks for your post, im talking about the med called Lexapro . I know that this medications dont have a caloriv value but from what i have read on the i-net it seems that they can interfere with the metabolic rate and can rise some unwanted hormones in the body that can lead to gaining fat.

BiG SEXi DAMAGE is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R69 View Post
    Its not what i asked
    Bro if you got the heart you can acheive anything its all up to you

Ladyblahblah is offline Female Member
    [QUOTE=R69;5595227]Hi Lady, thanks for your post

Anytime, R69! I did a little digging and I also found some sites that claimed Lexapro compromised the bodies metabolism. However, all of the sites I came upon were ones that were selling products to support/increase metabolism and to aid in weight loss due to taking anti-depressants. Therefore, I would not trust these sites for they are only looking to make a profit from consumers who are desperate not to gain weight from SSRI's. Side effects in all SSRI's are possible weight gain and possible weight loss. Don't mean to sound so repetitive but all individuals are different and unfortunately it's a trial and error situation.

Just remember, your doctor prescribed this for you for a reason. You more and likely will not be on it forever and a possible small amount of weight gain (if at all) is worth it if you are depressed and/or suffering from anxiety, IMO. Keep track of what you eat on a daily basis and keep your protein high as it maintains/increases metabolism. Maybe do some HIIT once or twice a week just to ensure that you stay ahead of the game. Again, maybe someone will come along with some good facts for you to help you in making your decision on taking this med. Good luck to you, R69!

Thread Information