musclestack is offline Productive Member

chest is lagging behind

My chest has always had a 'flat' look. I can make it stronger, but the size just isn't there. I have broad, thick shoulders and arms, but my chest just won't keep up. At one time, I was benching 335lbs for 3 reps; I just don't understand why it won't grow thicker?? I have had a couple guys tell me that I keep my elbows too close to my sides when I'm benching, which is causing me to use my triceps more than solely concentrating on my chest. The fact is, I had a shoulder injury a few years back, and if I try to keep my elbows out, it really hurts my right shoulder......do you think this has anything to do with it?? I change up my presses between barbell and dumbell roughly every month. My current chest workout is as follows:

flat barbell bench
    dumbell incline bench
    flys (machine)

I know 3 exercises isn't that much, but I'm still getting stronger every week so until I stop gaining strength, I would like to keep it this way. I'm a strong believer in "if it ain't broke (at least strength-wise for me), don't fix it", and no need to over-train. It's a total of about 12 sets, 6-8 reps each set, all heavy.

Any advice on how I can make my chest grow??

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    try pre exhaustion, hit something like medium weight cable crossovers before you bench and/or flys. my chest was also a lagging part for me, pre exhaustion has helped

SuperLift is offline Senior Member
    if it aint broke, dont fix it..

I think you answered it yourself. If your chest is truly getting stronger each week then Im sure its growing at least a little bit. You may not be able to notice it yourself because you see yourself in the mirror everyday. Take some pictures and look again in several months. Im sure you would be able to tell a difference then (if you continue to get stronger).. When things start to slow down then switch it up. I love going from Flat BB press first to DB incline first.. Totally confuses my body and works great for me. Keep at it.

kelevra is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post
    My chest has always had a 'flat' look. I can make it stronger, but the size just isn't there. I have broad, thick shoulderslucky and arms, but my chest just won't keep up. At one time, I was benching 335lbs for 3 reps; I just don't understand why it won't grow thicker?? I have had a couple guys tell me that I keep my elbows too close to my sides when I'm benching, which is causing me to use my triceps moreBS, not the case than solely concentrating on my chest. The fact is, I had a shoulder injury a few years back, and if I try to keep my elbows out, it really hurts my right shoulder......YEPdo you think this has anything to do with it?? genetics will play more of a role than elbo placement I change up my presses between barbell and dumbell roughly every month.Stick with BB mostly, a 2 week period of Db would be fine every now and then My current chest workout is as follows:

flat barbell bench
    dumbell incline bench
    flys (machine)

I know 3 exercises isn't that much,thats all i ever do but I'm still getting stronger every week so until I stop gaining strength, I would like to keep it this way. I'm a strong believer in "if it ain't broke (at least strength-wise for me), don't fix it", and no need to over-train. It's a total of about 12 sets, 6-8 reps each set, all heavy.

Any advice on how I can make my chest grow??
    You're on track IMO, To many people over work. I would suggest a bit of a re arrangement though. Flat BB bench is good, but i like to put about a 3-4 inch riser underneath to get a bit of a decline. Regular decline is too much. I usually push out a couple set of 10-12 on bench with 315. When i started the declines the way i described i could only do 8 before i got to cramping. Much more focus on pecs.
    So get a bit of a warm up and then work up to the 8-10 rep range for 3-4 sets.
    Then incline BB or dumbbell for 3 sets 8-16 reps
    Then a cable cross for 3 sets.
    Keep good form, stress the muscle and not the joints. Keep weight down a bit. I go to failure, but that is about 2 reps shy of what i can do with perfect form.
    Another idea I picked up from Ronnie Rowland on the forum here. Go a 6-8 week period with higher volume 9-12 sets. Then for a 2 week period drop the volume to a total of about 6 sets, then back to high again.

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Thanks guys. All advice will be utilized.

Blog Entries
    btw, as you have that shoulder problem, STAY AWAY from decline bench, it will really pressure the shoulders

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    btw, as you have that shoulder problem, STAY AWAY from decline bench, it will really pressure the shoulders
    in my experience that is false. I will say that my rear delts have some effort in the support however the slight decline i use eliminates a lot of the pressure on my front delts.

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    You can try moving your rep range up to 8-12 reps. Try to focus more on the muscle contraction of each rep and less on just being able to bench the heaviest thing you can X number of times. Keeping your arms right by your side definitely does put more of the stress on your triceps, however, having your elbows flared out at 90 degrees doesn't put it all on your chest and it puts more stress on the tendons/ligaments in your shoulders. If you can get your arms at around a 45 degree degree angle that would be ideal for recruiting the muscles in your chest. Obviously if it hurts you don't do it. Also, you want to implement some sort of deload plan to A) ease the stress on your tendons/ligaments and B) you may actually find it useful to break through this mass gaining plateau you've hit. Although there's a relation between strength and mass (to a degree) training for each one specifically is different, and if you find your strength is increasing steadily, but your mass is lagging perhaps your training is geared more towards strength gains right now.

Before you guys go off in a raging argument, I'd just like to say IDEALLY decline bench should put less stress on the shoulders, however, how people are performing decline presses can vary. A lot of gyms don't have a decline bench press, a lot of people will use a smith machine and a decline bench under it, or use the decline free weight machine with those little adjustable seats, yada yada the point is that even though everyone could be doing decline presses I'm sure you'll find that the actual angle everyone is doing them and how they're pressing the weight is slightly different also depends on the person and what kind of shoulder injuries that they may have in their past. In conclusion, I've heard of people with shoulder problems being able to do decline with no pain, but I've also heard that decline hurts their shoulders more than flat or incline. Long story short it seems like more of a case by case scenario.

You bring up good points in both post sir
    gratitude

Blog Entries
    Last edited by dec11; 04-11-2011 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    always one on here who argues for arguing sake.
    he has a shoulder complaint, he SHOULD NOT decline press
    because i guy disagrees with you he is arguing for argument sake? I would agree with you however I'm not the one the finger should be pointed at.

Blog Entries

Now I am arguing for the sake of it.
    Below is a conversation between myself and a 20 year vet / trainer in whom i respect and will not name toss.

Good Luck, I'm out

Do you feel that flat dumbbell press is better for mass than flat barbell bench? No! And do you think decline as part of a routine at least every now and then is needed? Only if you do not respond well to flat bench or flat causes shoulder pain. In fact, if flat bench does not work well then drop them and replace with declines. I have started to develop some pain in the back side of my shoulder while doing flat bar bench. Drop it and go to declines or flat dumbbell instead. Also work your rear rotator cuffs after back training.

Reed is offline AR's Pitbull ~Vet~
    Yes genetics pay a role HOWEVER Im willing to bet your rep scheme and whole thinking is just about moving the weight vs. optimal contraction of the chest muscle.

I only go about 1/2 back up on the movement as anymore and the shoulders/triceps are doing the rest of the pushing

I also focus on the negative and bring the bar down just to where it almost/barely touches my chest for optimal stretch then 1/2 up.

I have done this over the past year and half or so and my chest as come up dramatically. But the weight I am moving as dropped in some cases, not really improved or only

slightly

Mind muscle connection.... Do incline at 30 degrees as well IMO

So you gotta ask yourself, do you want a bigger chest or press. Compare chest sizes of bodybuilders to powerlifters....

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Last edited by dec11; 04-11-2011 at 09:19 AM.

dec11, you should probably just get a signature and put your credentials in it because you reference them in just about every thread.

You have 2 rotor cuffs and I think it's pretty obvious he meant a guy with 20 years experience versus an actual 20 year old.

The OP's problem has been answered and he neither expressed an interest in doing decline nor was advice given that he should do decline, so maybe this thread should be over.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by dec11; 04-11-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Blog Entries
    there ya all go, happy now????????!!!!!!!

OP, if you want to take this advice its up to you, i cant be arsed trying to help ppl on here anymore, not your fault there are cretins on this board who think they know it all. im not getting drawn into arguments with ppl with inferior knowledge anymore.

just dont decline bench with your shoulder prob, trust me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LatissimusaurousRex View Post
    dec11, you should probably just get a signature and put your credentials in it because you reference them in just about every thread.

You have 2 rotor cuffs and I think it's pretty obvious he meant a guy with 20 years experience versus an actual 20 year old.

The OP's problem has been answered and he neither expressed an interest in doing decline nor was advice given that he should do decline, so maybe this thread should be over.
    yeah one on each side, go on post a pic showing me 2 cuffs on each joint

Blog Entries

mr lat's opener on the boards. you've some place to be advising anyone, you're clueless..........

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...t=#post5093505

4weeks of a 200mg deca 'cycle' lmfao
    Last edited by dec11; 04-11-2011 at 03:42 PM.

I don't advise anyone on aas use, except for when they shouldn't be using it and I cite my mistake often to ward off others from making the same mistake. I appreciate you taking the time to look into my posts and threads, it's nice to see you care

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LatissimusaurousRex View Post
    I shouldnt advise anyone on anything gym, especially when they shouldn't be using certain exercises (ie exercises that will aggravate a present injury) and I cite my mistake often to ward off others from making the same mistake. I appreciate you taking the time to look into my posts and threads, it's nice to see you care
    there kiddo, all fixed for you lol

PK-V is offline Productive Member
    imo chest development

- decline movements (you have an injury preventing you from doing any decline movements? this imo will take away from a lot of chest development)
    - muscle mind connection (visualizes the sets)
    - squeeze your scapula together
    - keep your hands as low as you can as far towards your nipples and below as far as your body mechanics can allow you will ensure maximum chest and minimal anterior delt use.
    - try using a wider grip on with the bb
    - how is your posture? (if you could post up a side relaxed pic that would be helpful

Thread Information