massemotions is offline New Member

Best Cardio workout

I have a buddy at the gym that has like zero fat on him. When I do cardio I normally go for about 45min. He recently told me that im wasting my time. He said the best fat burning cardio you can do is to sprint at top speed for 1 min then rest 1 min and to repeat this about 5 to 6 times (takes about 10 mins to do). He said its quicker and works better? Anyone else here this?

Inquisitor is offline Associate Member
    For muscle builders, sprinting is the best way to run. Look at sprinters and then look at marathoners. Their bodies are vastly different. I actually talked to a fitness expert who owns a fitness business which services other large businesses. He has more degrees than a thermometer. He told me that when you're running long distances at a slow pace, your body will actually burn muscle, thus the thin long distance runners. The sprinting workout is intense and if you're older, like me, I find myself gasping for air. But, you will see the rewards after a few weeks in the form of better stamina for sprinting, more muscle definition in your legs, and yes.... fat burning. I don't know if you burn more fat sprinting or running long. I've seen some pretty anorexic looking long distance runners. I would go out on a limb and say that relative to the time spent running, that sprinting probably burns more fat.

Let me also say this. I am a big advocate of attacking the area where the fat is. If you run a lot, your legs will be lean. If you move your arms a lot, your arms will be lean. So, if the mid-section is the area you want to lose, you must dedicate time to that area. Hope this helped.

** Also, one more note. If you have hills around you, that is an awesome cardio workout that really builds strength in your running and forces you to accentuate your running form. It is an essential part of a sprinter's regimine when training for competition.
    Last edited by Inquisitor; 04-11-2011 at 11:13 AM.

njviking is offline Junior Member
    What Is HIIT?

HIIT is a training idea in which low to moderate intensity intervals are alternated with high intensity intervals.

HIIT can be applied to running or to exercises such as squatting. HIIT is considered to be much more effective than normal cardio because the intensity is higher and you are able to increase both your aerobic and anaerobic endurance while burning more fat than ever before.

"In research, HIIT has been shown to burn adipose tissue more effectively than low-intensity exercise - up to 50% more efficiently." It has also been shown to speed up your metabolism which helps you burn more calories throughout the day.

Thanks Inquisitor that definitely helped. So in your opinion what is the best way to get rid of the mid-section? I do over 150 sit-ups everyday.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor View Post
    For muscle builders, sprinting is the best way to run. Look at sprinters and then look at marathoners. Their bodies are vastly different. I actually talked to a fitness expert who owns a fitness business which services other large businesses. He has more degrees than a thermometer. He told me that when you're running long distances at a slow pace, your body will actually burn muscle,If we are talking about hours on end yes, if we are talking moderate intensity cardio for 30-60 minutes no. thus the thin long distance runners. The sprinting workout is intense and if you're older, like me, I find myself gasping for air. But, you will see the rewards after a few weeks in the form of better stamina for sprinting, more muscle definition in your legs, and yes.... fat burning. I don't know if you burn more fat sprinting or running long. I've seen some pretty anorexic looking long distance runners. I would go out on a limb and say that relative to the time spent running, that sprinting probably burns more fat.While this concept may be true there is no way you can make a blanket statement like this. I guarantee you there is more fat burnt running a marathon than running a 400M sprint.

Let me also say this. I am a big advocate of attacking the area where the fat is. If you run a lot, your legs will be lean. If you move your arms a lot, your arms will be lean. So, if the mid-section is the area you want to lose, you must dedicate time to that area. Hope this helped.Spot reduction is a myth, moving your arms will not make your body target tricep fat.

** Also, one more note. If you have hills around you, that is an awesome cardio workout that really builds strength in your running and forces you to accentuate your running form. It is an essential part of a sprinter's regimine when training for competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by massemotions View Post
    Thanks Inquisitor that definitely helped. So in your opinion what is the best way to get rid of the mid-section? I do over 150 sit-ups everyday.Proper diet and cardio will get rid of the midsection not situps.
    See Bold.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    Agree with FG, you CANNOT SPOT REDUCE FAT LOSS

My diet is getting way better and my cardio is pretty good. Should start to see some results soon. THANKS!!

Minion0812 is offline Associate Member
    ****en right FG!!! Thanks for that post I really appreciate hearing that from someone that looks like you!!

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Thanks Minion.

Thanks FG!! I hate doing sit-ups lol

Thread Information