hairygary is offline New Member

Elbow Pain from skull crushers.

Does anybody else get this? I have been doing skull crushers for about 2 weeks every other day and my elbows are really sore. Maybe my technique is bad?

X83
    X83 is offline Member
    Never had that problem with skull crushers, take an ibuprofen and the pain may go away in a while.

Are you doing these on a bench with the bar passing over your head dipping low?

bruary17 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hairygary View Post
    Does anybody else get this? I have been doing skull crushers for about 2 weeks every other day and my elbows are really sore. Maybe my technique is bad?
    Maybe. take some cissus, fish oil or glucosamine/chrondriten. Mine snap crackle pop for my first few sets then they're good.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    it could be tendonitis. ice it, and ibrufen. or, lay off of push exercises for a while

pebble is offline Associate Member
    You need to strengthen the tendon. Start with exercise that put less strain (no strain) on it and progressive add in more stressful exercise as you can

Band pushdown -->cable pushdowns -->skull crushers

SHADO is offline Junior Member
    I used to get this when i did most tricep exercises that involved lifting weight over the head ie skull crushers with the bar/dbell

I think it was tendonitis, i just stopped doing them for a while, there's alot of other tricep exercises to do

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    People who do skull crushers fall into two groups, those with elbow pain and those who will eventually have elbow pain.

SHADO is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    People who do skull crushers fall into two groups, those with elbow pain and those who will eventually have elbow pain.
    Gotta agree there, i stopped doing them years ago and never had elbow pain again.

I think of it like the centre of mass from your elbow to where you hold the weight (hands) is too great, hence putting a massive amount of pressure on the elbows.

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    Fireguy is right! I am doing only pushdowns these days as dips also hurt my elbows and make them ache. Pushdowns done right hit all 3 heads of the tris including the long head that is targeted with skull crushers.

Thread Information