blazerelf is offline Associate Member

difference between conventional dead lift; Sumo deadlift and stiff leged deadlift?

Im looking for the execise that hits my hamstrings the best, but also Id liek to know the difference in focus in each of these type of deadlift for knowledge.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    The stiff legged leadlift would definitely be your best option if you're looking to hit the hams. I really don't feel like going into explaining the differences between these 3; a simple google or even youtube search will answer your question.

PK-V is offline Productive Member
    sumo more legs due to depth

regular DL well legs but not so much as the sumo
    spinal erectors involed hammys stabilization......... etc

goggggggle muscles used when DL'n

blazerelf is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    The stiff legged leadlift would definitely be your best option if you're looking to hit the hams. I really don't feel like going into explaining the differences between these 3; a simple google or even youtube search will answer your question.
    About the simple googling its not that simple or i would haven ot bother by self to ask here; the information contradicts each other alot! When researching In one it said that regular deadlift was better for quad, another said stiff and others said both were not much good so i could not even get into conlusion. Even tought ti was researched on decently knowed sites like bodybuilding.com, simply shredded.com and their forums.

gthom47 is offline Associate Member
    i agree with gbrice. stiff legged seem to hit the hamstrings the hardest. regular seem to get more of the entire leg and back involved. i personally have never tried sumo, cause i just feel awkward in that stance.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I'd stick with standard deads as my 'go to' exercise. Do these on back day. Stiff leg for hams for sure - obviously on leg day. Personally, I wouldn't do sumo's - just another variation. Standard deads will do plenty for you - quads, a bit of hams, bigtime glutes, lower back/spinal erectors, lats, forearms, traps... you name it.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Stiff legged and romanian deads are best for hamstrings. Sumos are more are less stress on the back (less bend at the lower back) and focuses more on hip strength. Conventional deads are more complete body intensive.

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    The best exercise for hamstrings is stiff legged deadlifts, if performed properly, feet touching, legs locked, stand on a box, when you bend down to pick up the weight push your butt as far back as you can, until your toes start to come off the box, stand straight up with the weight, arms shoulder width apart an overhand grip with both hands, lean back at the top, when you lower the weight go slow and controlled, at the bottom shove your butt back and stop an inch short of the floor, pause with your butt pushed back and repeat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-iVWFVjOjg this is the second best hamstring exercise, and "good-mornings" sure get my attention in the hamstrings as well.
    Last edited by tbody66; 04-26-2011 at 11:43 PM.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    i agree with all of the above. good-mornings are what i do to really target the hammy's. also, you may want to try yoga, it can work wonders on strength.

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    i agree with all of the above. good-mornings are what i do to really target the hammy's. also, you may want to try yoga, it can work wonders on strength.
    Now you sound like my Chiropractor, he's mad cause I can't bend over and touch my knees with my legs locked, let alone my toes!

Thread Information