Thread: deadlift method

stunner5000pt is offline Anabolic Member

deadlift method

Hello all

I recently started going back to the gym and i am having a bit of a problem with deadlifts.

Im keeping my back straight, eyes forward, pushing my chest out, sitting down (essentially) and then lifting the bar just the way i used to do it way back when, however, after a set my lower back was extremely sore. My lower back did not hurt during the exercise but after the set was done there was an intense excrutiating pain with no single location in my liwer back. Note that i was using no weight (bar only) and this pain was still occuring.

Is something wrong with my form? Or is here something wrong with my back? Or am i being a chicken?

Thanks for your help

Black is offline Anabolic Member
    Deadlifts will hit your lower back, but you should be in excrutiating pain. Make sure you are driving with your legs. exrx.net is a great site that explains the proper lifting form for tons of exercises. It also has videos (or GIFs) of the movement being performed.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    What is your experience, goals, etc. Deadlifting for bodybuilding purposes is a bit different than deading for power/strength.

Benton is offline New Member
    I think very few people are aware with the right method of the dead lift, but the right
    technique is very important and also helpful to safe from the injury.

Chino physical therapy
    Last edited by Benton; 08-27-2011 at 02:57 AM.

AminoMustache is offline New Member
    yeah man thats not normal to have such an acute pain, especially when using just the bar. ive had problems off and on for years with my sciatic nerve, so i can sympathize for sure. my lower back was completely jacked-up, was going to a chiropractor when needed. not saying thats what you need to do, but it surely helped me. it has been a long road and it was depressing at times, but now i dead lift and squat more than i ever have. good luck

jypoll is offline Member
    Possibly weak core.

On another note, maybe not part of the back pain issue, but dont keep your eyes forward through the whole lift. if your pulling your head up when you are still bent over you may injure your neck. Have two focal points to keep your neck straight with your back. Start looking at the floor in front of you at the start when you are bent over, then as you go up switch to looking forward so your neck is straight when your standing up.

nameabetter is offline New Member
    The best way for us to help you is to post a video showing what you are doing. If you are using no weight, are you propping the bar on boxes to simulate the height where the bar would be if there were 45 lb plates on each side? Carefully evaluate your form and do research on proper technique.

Edit: I can't post the URL of the video but look up "Elitefts.com - Brian Carroll on the Deadlift" on Youtube. Great video. If you are following what this guy is saying, you may have some serious back issues and should see a doctor.
    Last edited by nameabetter; 12-23-2011 at 02:31 AM.

Thread Information