Thread: High Pull

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

High Pull

I never see these as part of anybody's routine. They look like a great mass building compound movement to me, so i'm surprised. Anyone care to comment? Is this just a dead exercise, like the dumbbell pullover is for back?

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    i've done thembut not on back day, done it on shoulder day. Are you talking about regular high pulls or hang high pull where you bounce at the knees? The later is a good functional excersise to build explosiveness for sports like basketball, football rugby ect.

gthom47 is offline Associate Member
    i use them on a shoulder day as well. just regular high pulls hold for a second at the top

I wasn't suggesting they be done on back day; i was comparing it as a dead shoulder exercise the same way the dumbbell pullover seems to be dead for back.

@Scotty I was referring to regular high pulls. Also like the sumo stance high pulls.

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    Well yeah on shoulder day i either do highpulls with an EZ bar, seems to be more comfortable on my wrists. Or I'll do high pulls with a BB. Along with at least one pressing movement, flies and anterior raises

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    High pulls or upright rows are awesome for traps and rear delt development. I have also found that attaching a straight bar or easy curl bar to the low row machine while laying down is a good alternative to your standard high pulls. Just lay down flat, grab the bar, and pull towards your neck. IMO, it puts much less strain on the lower back.

Thanks guys.

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    This is an upright row and my number one recommended exercise to perform for traps, but only if done the correct way. Keep the knees slightly bent to avoid cheating, do not let the weight go all the way down at the bottom, slow and controlled all the way down and all the way, no lower than the belly button at the bottom of the motion to keep constant tension on the trap, and almost touch the chin at the top pausing for a full second, keep the weight in close to the body the entire time, I use the ez curl bar for this. I like to four or five sets of 20-25 reps on my light shoulder day of the week and 4-5 sets of 8-12 reps progressive weight on heavy shoulder day, on my last set on light day on my very last rep I lower the weight to nipple height and move it up and down about two inches total until my traps are on fire.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Check out oly lifters and strongman training regiments. We do them all the time. But we do them olympic style which is an explosive movement (much different from what Tbody66 is talking about). They build tremendous mass and develops explosive power like no other. As a matter of fact, they are a good replacement for cleans if you don't have the wrist flexibility to rack the bar during cleans.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    my old plifting coach made me do these without fail. if i attempted now, there'd be bits of rotator cuff all over the place lol

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    This is an upright row and my number one recommended exercise to perform for traps, but only if done the correct way. Keep the knees slightly bent to avoid cheating, do not let the weight go all the way down at the bottom, slow and controlled all the way down and all the way, no lower than the belly button at the bottom of the motion to keep constant tension on the trap, and almost touch the chin at the top pausing for a full second, keep the weight in close to the body the entire time, I use the ez curl bar for this. I like to four or five sets of 20-25 reps on my light shoulder day of the week and 4-5 sets of 8-12 reps progressive weight on heavy shoulder day, on my last set on light day on my very last rep I lower the weight to nipple height and move it up and down about two inches total until my traps are on fire.
    This sounds like an upright row to me, not a high pull...

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    ya agreed

I guess I should have paid attention to the entire post...my bad. He states its a high pull right away! LOL!!!

I had never heard of a "high pull" and when I googled it there was a video saying there were three ways to perform the movement and it was also called an upright row and the video was a guy doing upright rows. http://www.gymjunkies.com/how-to-do-high-pulls/

I just watched a girl doing a high pull, which is obviously a powerlifting move, looks like a lot of work not something I'd recommend for body-building. Especially since GB was talking about the exercise being used on shoulder day. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../HighPull.html

CMB
    CMB is offline Senior Member
    Great shoulder/trap workout. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    I had never heard of a "high pull" and when I googled it there was a video saying there were three ways to perform the movement and it was also called an upright row and the video was a guy doing upright rows. http://www.gymjunkies.com/how-to-do-high-pulls/

I just watched a girl doing a high pull, which is obviously a powerlifting move, looks like a lot of work not something I'd recommend for body-building. Especially since GB was talking about the exercise being used on shoulder day. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../HighPull.html
    Its more of an olympic lifting move. It simulates the second pull in the clean. Its tremendous for the traps. Shoulders gets secondary work. You're not going to get tremendous development on the shoulders from doing these. You'll get tremendous trap development though. As a strength athlete, we don't concern ourselves with body parts, we focus on the actual lifts, so we do these on days we actually do full pulls and such. There is really no shoulder day, only overhead press days. No back day, but we have deadlift days and our accessory lifts reflect what will help the deadlift.

Its more of an olympic lifting move. It simulates the second pull in the clean. Its tremendous for the traps. Shoulders gets secondary work. You're not going to get tremendous development on the shoulders from doing these. You'll get tremendous trap development though. As a strength athlete, we don't concern ourselves with body parts, we focus on the actual lifts, so we do these on days we actually do full pulls and such. There is really no shoulder day, only overhead press days. No back day, but we have deadlift days and our accessory lifts reflect what will help the deadlift.
    From the looks of the girl doing them in that video this is exactly what I thought! I would think that it is a dangerous move to incorporate into a "bodybuilding" program cold(without some power-lifting experience) just for traps development.

Thread Information