Thread: Tricep help..

trusted is offline Junior Member

Tricep help..

hey guys, idk if i'm working them to hard and there not growing right or what.. my tricep doesn't hang back like most people's.. here's what i did today for tricepts...

5x5 method.

-single arm cable pull downs... 50x5x5 each arm.
    -strait bar cable pull downs 100x5x5.
    -cable kick backs 30x5x5.
    -single arm seated behind head 30x5x5.
    -skull crushers strait bar with 25's on each side.
    -tricept machine 40x5x5 with each arm. 70 with both.
    -behind the head both arm seated 70x5x5
    -weighted dips 25x5 35x5 45x5x5

any imput is helpfull.. also.. here is my progress thread of how they look...

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...19#post5502719
    Last edited by trusted; 02-28-2011 at 01:18 PM.

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    I'm a little confused, does that mean you did 5 sets of each of these or 1 set of each of these? 5x5 is usually used with compound lifts, and it looks like you may have implemented it incorrectly.
    Last edited by LatissimusaurousRex; 02-28-2011 at 01:13 PM.

i'm sorry... it means 70x5reps, 5 sets.

Well #1 you're more than likely over-training. Stick to 12ish sets for your triceps. I'd start out with a compound exercise like close-grip bench or weighted dips. There's plenty of different 5x5 lifting programs, and I'm sure some of them do use isolation exercises, but really that's not necessary for your triceps. If you want use it for your CG bench or dips and then just do a couple of ancillary exercises to help them out. You'll prob be surprised at how effective NOT going to failure every time is too. The important thing is that you're noting your progress on the compound lifts and really rip them up on your other tricep exercises with a rep range of 8-12. Focus on meeting your strength goal each time, and eat right and the size should follow. It's also important not to stress over it either!

Quote Originally Posted by LatissimusaurousRex View Post
    Well #1 you're more than likely over-training. Stick to 12ish sets for your triceps. I'd start out with a compound exercise like close-grip bench or weighted dips. There's plenty of different 5x5 lifting programs, and I'm sure some of them do use isolation exercises, but really that's not necessary for your triceps. If you want use it for your CG bench or dips and then just do a couple of ancillary exercises to help them out. You'll prob be surprised at how effective NOT going to failure every time is too. The important thing is that you're noting your progress on the compound lifts and really rip them up on your other tricep exercises with a rep range of 8-12. Focus on meeting your strength goal each time, and eat right and the size should follow. It's also important not to stress over it either!
    yeah i tryed to quit worrying about them, but it bother's me sometime in the gym, lol

also yeah, i work my chest/tri's on monday, so already there getting worked.

so if i do 8-12 reps, are they going to grow as if i was doing 5x5? or will they just get more tone/cut?

8-12 reps is the maximal hypertrophy range. Basically that means the most growth, but that doesn't mean 8-12 reps of something light, it means 8-12 reps of something you can only do 8-12 reps of, and to be honest if you can do 40-50 sets of exercises for your triceps you're not putting enough effort in there. I know when I'm done with like 10 sets my triceps are pretty useless cause I squeeze that sh!t SON. You can't just go through the motions, you'll only get out what you put into it yada yada yada all that stuff. If you haven't bettered your diet since the thread you posted a link to I'd head over to the diet section and learn how to eat, you should be eating more than that.

8-12 reps is the maximal hypertrophy range. Basically that means the most growth, but that doesn't mean 8-12 reps of something light, it means 8-12 reps of something you can only do 8-12 reps of, and to be honest if you can do 40-50 sets of exercises for your triceps you're not putting enough effort in there. I know when I'm done with like 10 sets my triceps are pretty useless cause I squeeze that sh!t SON. You can't just go through the motions, you'll only get out what you put into it yada yada yada all that stuff. If you haven't bettered your diet since the thread you posted a link to I'd head over to the diet section and learn how to eat, you should be eating more than that.
    man i'm only 5'6 lol. 3000-3500 should be plenty for my size shouldn't it, i'm litterely cramming food dont and then birping almost puking, honesty i mean cramming it down! lol... but thanks man, yeah usually my last exercise on tri's are worthless pretty much. my tri's are so weak, the weight i have to drop it pointless lol

Quote Originally Posted by trusted View Post
    man i'm only 5'6 lol. 3000-3500 should be plenty for my size shouldn't it, i'm litterely cramming food dont and then birping almost puking, honesty i mean cramming it down! lol... but thanks man, yeah usually my last exercise on tri's are worthless pretty much. my tri's are so weak, the weight i have to drop it pointless lol
    yeah well you don't eat based on height, you should eat based on your weight. And at 157 lbs you should be eating way more than 150g of protein, I won't turn this into a diet thread, like I said before just head over to the diet section read the stickies it's really the best info you'll find on the web probs. Also don't be so concerned with the weight your triceps are using. Obsessing about it will prob just lead to bad form. Essentially the weight is just a tool that your using to achieve a certain effect on your muscles, don't forget that.

yeah well you don't eat based on height, you should eat based on your weight. And at 157 lbs you should be eating way more than 150g of protein, I won't turn this into a diet thread, like I said before just head over to the diet section read the stickies it's really the best info you'll find on the web probs. Also don't be so concerned with the weight your triceps are using. Obsessing about it will prob just lead to bad form. Essentially the weight is just a tool that your using to achieve a certain effect on your muscles, don't forget that.

-150g of protein is what i drink generally in shakes, that's not counting the foods that i eat during the day that has protein.

yeah i didn't really mean based on my height, but my weight is 160ish.... fluxuates, but i'm eating more than my buddy that weighs in at 170ish, and he's bigger/stronger than myself.

yeah that sounds good, i'll take a look and see if i cannot put together like a 1100 cal shake daily or something.

That's too many shakes, shakes are crap. You really only need 1 shake, a whey protein shake after your workout. Comparing yourself to your buddy isn't gonna make you grow or get stronger either. I know I sound like a broken record, but GO TO THE DIET SECTION. You might be surprised at how horrible your diet is once you write it down and count all the macro nutrients, but that's ok you need to start somewhere. The # of calories is completely arbitrary. So GO TO THE DIET SECTION, plan out a diet, start a new thread posting that diet, and all the hot knowledgeable men on this website will help you perfect it to better suit your fitness goals.

That's too many shakes, shakes are crap. You really only need 1 shake, a whey protein shake after your workout. Comparing yourself to your buddy isn't gonna make you grow or get stronger either. I know I sound like a broken record, but GO TO THE DIET SECTION. You might be surprised at how horrible your diet is once you write it down and count all the macro nutrients, but that's ok you need to start somewhere. The # of calories is completely arbitrary. So GO TO THE DIET SECTION, plan out a diet, start a new thread posting that diet, and all the hot knowledgeable men on this website will help you perfect it to better suit your fitness goals.
    cool man, thanks for the help!!!

BiG SEXi DAMAGE is offline Junior Member
    Bro my triceps are peaking try the vertical dip with added weight straight negatives bro 5 sets 6-8reps nice an controled then try bb skull crushers 4sets 8-10 then finishem with what ever you like no shit bro heavy negatives are the way, well for me that is good luck

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Close Grips
    Skull Crushers
    Weighted Dips
    Reverse Grip Bench Smith

They're the four compound movement for tricep mass. Get away from the cables and everything else (although a heavy DB over the head is great for the middle head)

Kaytime is offline Associate Member
    i usually do something like this

WEEK 1:
    Weighted Dips (elbows Tucked in)
    Skullcrushers
    Overhead tri Extention (think thats the right name)

WEEK 2:
    Close Grip Benchpress
    Pulldowns (using the small V looking handle)
    Dips (Using Bench And Weights On Legs)

hoyle21 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG SEXi DAMAGE View Post
    Bro my triceps are peaking try the vertical dip with added weight straight negatives bro 5 sets 6-8reps nice an controled then try bb skull crushers 4sets 8-10 then finishem with what ever you like no shit bro heavy negatives are the way, well for me that is good luck

Yes, all those exercises and dips wasn't included? I think it is the best exercise for triceps.

Linuxian is offline Junior Member
    8-12 reps is the maximal hypertrophy range. Basically that means the most growth, but that doesn't mean 8-12 reps of something light, it means 8-12 reps of something you can only do 8-12 reps of, and to be honest
    great advice! I just had this conversation with a friend of mine about why his workout was going nowhere. If you can't do 8 reps, the weight is too heavy. If you can do more than 12 reps, it's too light.

ranman32566 is offline Junior Member
    Waaaay too much for a small muscle group

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxian View Post
    great advice! I just had this conversation with a friend of mine about why his workout was going nowhere. If you can't do 8 reps, the weight is too heavy. If you can do more than 12 reps, it's too light.
    i agree that is why i like to aim for around 5-6 reps get spoted for the extra 2

Quote Originally Posted by hoyle21 View Post
    Yes, all those exercises and dips wasn't included? I think it is the best exercise for triceps.
    Bro you want big tris master the dip wide and close heavy negatives are a treat i start with them but some days i like to pre exhaust them with a cable pushdown then smashim with dips weighted of coarse

kelevra is offline Member
    Outside of genetics you only need 9-12 sets for tri's. I stick to 9 typically and will go down to 6 sets every now and then for a week or two. A lot of the above movements will increase tri size however they will cause a lot of tendon, joint, and other possible injuries. IMO beyond failure techniques and forced reps don't do anything, but cause problems later. Your genetics will determine your tri size before some off the wall train system. And failure means the last rep you can do with high quality form. Give this a shot for a bit. 4 sets of skull crushers. 8-16 reps. 3 sets of overhead french press or overhead 2 hand dumbbell extensions. 8-16 reps. 3 sets of cable pushdown, 8-16 reps. Don't be afraid of doing the higher reps if the weight for 8 reps turns your form sloppy. On occasion I will do a drop set on last movement, last set. But my tri's are normally about to explode by then.

massemotions is offline New Member
    some good info

DFRELAT is offline Associate Member
    Check out my last video, its arms day http://www.youtube.com/user/dfrelat.
    You're doing too many exercises, and the wrong ones! Stick to basic compounds like close grip bench, lying and standing behind the head triceps extensions, weighted dips.... I always like to go heavy and few reps but I also do fast high reps for finishers.

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFRELAT View Post
    Check out my last video, its arms day http://www.youtube.com/user/dfrelat.
    You're doing too many exercises, and the wrong ones! Stick to basic compounds like close grip bench, lying and standing behind the head triceps extensions, weighted dips.... I always like to go heavy and few reps but I also do fast high reps for finishers.
    I just watched your posing vid. Do you train your Bis?

kiki123 is offline Associate Member
    Well considering his most recent vid is called "Triceps- biceps workout" and shows him performing biceps exercises I would say he does.

DFRELAT is offline Associate Member
    I do train biceps, they're just my pussiest bodypart, they just don't grow no matter what I do!

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki123 View Post
    Well considering his most recent vid is called "Triceps- biceps workout" and shows him performing biceps exercises I would say he does.
    Lol....I was referring to the Vid of him posing and I am just teasing him dopey. He got robbed in the bi genetics area.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    I think you've got the 5x5 method all wrong. You might want to google it and stick to the basics of it. The 5x5 method is 5x5 for core exercises, not accessory exercises. Even powerlifters and strongmen do accessory exercises in the 8-12 range.

tapout417 is offline Junior Member
    Based on my personal experience I use to all the same crap you are for my tris. And they wouldn't grow at all. Just recently they have started blowing up and I learned less is more. I do 12 sets only 4 each exercise
    close grip bench
    skull crushers
    Vertical dips with a weight belt
    I have got way stronger and way more size now people are asking me what I do for my tris instead of me asking people

Thread Information