Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Baseline's Power/Hypertrophy Routine

Brick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jklipouse
    Hey base great post i which i would have seen this earlier...i just got my diet together (405) a week or so ago and just came across your post? iam around 20%bf trying to cut to lose bf would this be a good program for me to start? sounds like a great program!!! my question to you is what about cardio should i do cardio am fasted on workout days or do hiit after workouts or? when is a ideal time to do cardio as iam trying to lose bf? i now this is a very debatable subject for you whats your opinion on this? thanks in advance
    At 20% bf aim for 45-60 min of 120-140BPM. Save the hiit for later. Preferably am fasted but after your work out is fine

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by jklipouse View Post
    Hey base great post i which i would have seen this earlier...i just got my diet together (405) a week or so ago and just came across your post? iam around 20%bf trying to cut to lose bf would this be a good program for me to start? sounds like a great program!!! my question to you is what about cardio should i do cardio am fasted on workout days or do hiit after workouts or? when is a ideal time to do cardio as iam trying to lose bf? i now this is a very debatable subject for you whats your opinion on this? thanks in advance
    I believe u can modify it slightly and run a specific diet along side this plan to achieve good results....

The best option IMO is this....

Day 1 - no carb - HIIT cardio or moderate intensity intervals
    Day 2 - no carb - HIIT cardio or moderate intensity intervals
    Day 3 - no carb - lower body depletion/ hypertrophy workout - interval cardio PWO
    Day 4 - no carb - upper body depletion/ hypertrophy workout - interval cardio PWO
    Day 5 - interval cardio (60 mins AM) - High carb (carbs in evening only)
    Day 6 - moderate carb - lower body power workout
    Day 7 - moderate carb - upper body power workout

If u don't follow that format then try to keep cardio at least moderate.... Nothing too light... At 20%BF total calories burned is all you need to be concerned about... Timing again is irelivent at this stage....

Try and keep the power days as power days... Meaning if u plan a high carb day have it the day b4... If u have moderate carb days keep them during the power days..... Basically try and be as strong as u can for the 2 power days....

Treat the hyper days as depletion workouts.... Use supersets and giant sets, keep the flow of the workout, keep moving, keep the heart rate up, keep reps between 10 and 15 performed in a quick fashion.... Remember we're not gonna grow here so treat this as a 'pump/burn' day, almost like a big cardio session... Plan supersets in advance... Eg

Upper body hyper/depletion

4 sets - Dumbell bench press vs Dumbell bend over row (both arms same time)..... Avoid any one are movements
    4 sets - pull down or pull ups vs push ups
    4 sets - clean and press (killer movement)
    4 sets - barbell curl vs tricep push down

jklipouse is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9

I believe u can modify it slightly and run a specific diet along side this plan to achieve good results....

The best option IMO is this....

Day 1 - no carb - HIIT cardio or moderate intensity intervals
    Day 2 - no carb - HIIT cardio or moderate intensity intervals
    Day 3 - no carb - lower body depletion/ hypertrophy workout - interval cardio PWO
    Day 4 - no carb - upper body depletion/ hypertrophy workout - interval cardio PWO
    Day 5 - interval cardio (60 mins AM) - High carb (carbs in evening only)
    Day 6 - moderate carb - lower body power workout
    Day 7 - moderate carb - upper body power workout

If u don't follow that format then try to keep cardio at least moderate.... Nothing too light... At 20%BF total calories burned is all you need to be concerned about... Timing again is irelivent at this stage....

Try and keep the power days as power days... Meaning if u plan a high carb day have it the day b4... If u have moderate carb days keep them during the power days..... Basically try and be as strong as u can for the 2 power days....

Treat the hyper days as depletion workouts.... Use supersets and giant sets, keep the flow of the workout, keep moving, keep the heart rate up, keep reps between 10 and 15 performed in a quick fashion.... Remember we're not gonna grow here so treat this as a 'pump/burn' day, almost like a big cardio session... Plan supersets in advance... Eg

Upper body hyper/depletion

4 sets - Dumbell bench press vs Dumbell bend over row (both arms same time)..... Avoid any one are movements
    4 sets - pull down or pull ups vs push ups
    4 sets - clean and press (killer movement)
    4 sets - barbell curl vs tricep push down
    So you think i should carb cycle on this program that will give me the best results? Thanks for taking the time to write this up for me as iam new to dieting and workout programs would like to start this monday or Tuesday...when you say high carbs? 350? Mod carbs? 200? Also on non carb days i dont count fibrous carbs right? Thanks as it tends to get confusing

blummy is offline Junior Member
    Supported T-Bar Row

New to all this and thinking of giving this a try, Does it matter if this is not a supported T-bar Row? Or should i try a completely different exercise if this isn't supported?

Also is the rest period still 3 minutes between sets on the warm up sets during the power days?
    I logg all my workouts already so i will logg my progress and post here after my first de-load

Quote Originally Posted by jklipouse View Post
    So you think i should carb cycle on this program that will give me the best results? Thanks for taking the time to write this up for me as iam new to dieting and workout programs would like to start this monday or Tuesday...when you say high carbs? 350? Mod carbs? 200? Also on non carb days i dont count fibrous carbs right? Thanks as it tends to get confusing
    What I have posted is what I think will work well.

Carb intake is going to depend on your stats and what u have set up

Quote Originally Posted by blummy View Post
    Supported T-Bar Row

New to all this and thinking of giving this a try, Does it matter if this is not a supported T-bar Row? Or should i try a completely different exercise if this isn't supported?

Also is the rest period still 3 minutes between sets on the warm up sets during the power days?
    I logg all my workouts already so i will logg my progress and post here after my first de-load
    Exercises are examples, go for what u like within reason...

Nah just get warm, don't worry bout the long rests, play it instinctively

Three Warm up sets at a light weight for around 8-10 reps

You mention this then further down you give an example where your warm up sets are 10/5/3 with increasing weight towards your 5 Rep max . Would you mix this depending on the exercise? Or should you just go with one or the other?

When de-loading should you also be upping the weight? For example my power upper body day i do my 10 rep max at 100kg i do the 4 sets of 10 reps with the last set becoming very difficult should i up to 101-102.5 like i would when not de-loading? Or stay at the 100kg for the 2-3 weeks you are de-loading?

You mention this then further down you give an example where your warm up sets are 10/5/3 with increasing weight towards your 5 Rep max . Would you mix this depending on the exercise? Or should you just go with one or the other?

When de-loading should you also be upping the weight? For example my power upper body day i do my 10 rep max at 100kg i do the 4 sets of 10 reps with the last set becoming very difficult should i up to 101-102.5 like i would when not de-loading? Or stay at the 100kg for the 2-3 weeks you are de-loading?
    Yes that was a complete contradiction and typo.... I have edited it. Thanks

Reps for warm ups I think should decrease rapidly so your actually working very little and it's more of a case that your putting the weight on the target muscles....10/5/3 is a good way to do so...... For your last warm up you should be able to do a lot more than 3 reps with the weight your using... But you use that weight and do 3 reps so your fresh.... That weight could actually be very close to your working weight for 5 reps

The whole point of a deload is that you have plateaued for 2+ weeks and you cannot increase the weight..... For a deload just half the total sets, u can either try and hit the same number on power day or just drop them slightly and double reps on hyper days...

It's 4 sets of 5 reps on power days also, not 10

"A 'De-load' would simply consist of decreasing the intensity of your training for a two to three week period by A, Reducing the weight... B, Increasing the reps. I would simply do half the amount of total sets per week and increase the reps on Power days to 10 and the reps on Hypertrophy days to 20..."

Sorry i read this a little wrong, and proabably didn't explain myself clearly. This is what i meant:
    So instead of doing 4 sets of 5 go to 2 sets of 10 for 'power days' and on 'hypertrophy days' do 2 sets of 20 reps instead of the usual 4 sets of 10?

Are these 10 reps a 10 rep max? Is it supposed to still be an intense workout or is it completely a rest? so its just 10 reps at a reasonable weight just to get a light pump type feeling?

Sorry for the annoying questions, just hoping i can do it right and want to learn as much info as i can.

red_hulk is offline Member
    Just wanted to say I've Been doing this for a couple of weeks and it is kicking my ass I love it! After a power day I'm so shot I need a nap. It's only been a few weeks and I'm already seeing slight progress and results!

"A 'De-load' would simply consist of decreasing the intensity of your training for a two to three week period by A, Reducing the weight... B, Increasing the reps. I would simply do half the amount of total sets per week and increase the reps on Power days to 10 and the reps on Hypertrophy days to 20..."

Sorry i read this a little wrong, and proabably didn't explain myself clearly. This is what i meant:
    So instead of doing 4 sets of 5 go to 2 sets of 10 for 'power days' and on 'hypertrophy days' do 2 sets of 20 reps instead of the usual 4 sets of 10?

Are these 10 reps a 10 rep max? Is it supposed to still be an intense workout or is it completely a rest? so its just 10 reps at a reasonable weight just to get a light pump type feeling?

Sorry for the annoying questions, just hoping i can do it right and want to learn as much info as i can.
    You can still go to failure on the power days... Just keep the reps around 10 and if u need to drop the weight on the second set to fail at 10 reps do it... So yeh 2x10 on power days... On hyper days ur kind of just going for a good pump, lots of blood flow... It does t reall matter what u do.... Don't go to failure, just train lighter..... The whole point is that it needs to contrast the blast otherwise it's not a de-load....

I find the hyper days much more taxing than the power days.... Durring a de-load ease off on the hyper days as they can be quite demanding...

Any questions just ask... Although u can't really do much wrong in this program... Even if u mess up the de-load, as long as ur not doing too much durring the de-load u should be good...

Quote Originally Posted by red_hulk View Post
    Just wanted to say I've Been doing this for a couple of weeks and it is kicking my ass I love it! After a power day I'm so shot I need a nap. It's only been a few weeks and I'm already seeing slight progress and results!
    If u think it's kicking ur ass now w8 untill 5-6 weeks in.... Ur gonna get stronger and stronger

Brick is offline Member

If u think it's kicking ur ass now w8 untill 5-6 weeks in.... Ur gonna get stronger and stronger
    What is different at 5-6 weeks in?

I'm two weeks into lower, 4 into upper. Pulled my hamstring and I am rehabbing so not many movements that require hamstring recruitment

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka View Post
    What is different at 5-6 weeks in?

I'm two weeks into lower, 4 into upper. Pulled my hamstring and I am rehabbing so not many movements that require hamstring recruitment
    Nothing is different but the fact that you will have been at it for 6 weeks means that it's getting harder since the weights are getting heavier....

How are you progressing? Got any lift logs?

Each week I'm making it my goal to move ahead at least 5lbs on each workout and still keep my 5RM and a good ROM. I can't wait to see what the next few weeks bring!

Brick is offline Member

Nothing is different but the fact that you will have been at it for 6 weeks means that it's getting harder since the weights are getting heavier....

How are you progressing? Got any lift logs?
    Yup I write everything down. I'll post later

Twin is offline Associate Member
    Iv ran a similiar program before my shoulder injury with great results.

"layne norton phat"

I took 6 min rest between each set on power days and it reallly did help alot. It made my workouts LONG. but i was making great strength gains so i kept at it. My body is to fatigued and worn down with short rest, so i take the 6 min rest on power days . Strength was over the roof

But Hypertrophy days, my rest times always varied(from 30 seconds to 2 minutes)
    Last edited by Twin; 09-27-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Brick is offline Member
    Power Lower
    Squat 305x5,5,5,5
    Deadlift 365x5,5,5,2
    Seated Calf 180x5,5,5,5

Bench 225x5,5,3,4
    Tbar 150x5,5,5,5
    Standing BB Press 115x5,5,5,5

leg press 540x10,8,8
    hack squats 180x10,10,10
    Standing leg curl single leg 40x8,10,8
    lying curl 100x6 90x10,6
    Standing calf 90x10,10
    Seated calf 125x10,10

pulled hamstrings, time off to rehab, also missed first hypertrophy due to a wedding

Bench 225x4, was not doing proper speed so i lowered weight 205x5,5,5
    Tbar 160x10,10,10,10
    Standing bb press 120x5,5,5,5

Incline DB 60x10,10,10
    Lat PD 120x10,10,10
    Cable Row 90x10,10,10
    Side lat 15x10,10,10
    Reverse Fly 120x10,10,10
    Shrug 60x10,10,10
    Tricep PD 120x10,10,10
    Ezbar curl 50x10,8,5

Bench 215x5,5,5,5
    Tbar 170x5,5,5
    Standing BBP 135x5,5,5

Incline DB 65x10,10,10
    Lat PD 140x10,10,10
    Cable Row 110x10,10,8
    Side Lat 20x10,10,10
    Reverse Fly 130x10,10,10
    Shrug 65x10,10,9
    Tricep PD 140x10,10,10
    Ezbar 50x10,10,7

I have not used a spot for any exercise.
    Also I am hoping in a week or so to be gtg for deads again. I did them yesterday with 95lbs just to stretch out my hamstring. goign to go for 135 today and slowly work up everyday until im back to sets of 365

Quote Originally Posted by red_hulk View Post
    Each week I'm making it my goal to move ahead at least 5lbs on each workout and still keep my 5RM and a good ROM. I can't wait to see what the next few weeks bring!
    That's good progress...

If it slows justs progress less...

I have added 1kg/week before to smaller lifts..... (2.2lbs)

Some times it's worth just going really slow with the weight if u have too

However many people will find with those that they get 'into the groove' with this program and get a good jump in weight..... This is to do with skill.... After you have been doing these lifts week in week out you get better at them... So ur not only getting stronger with them, ur getting better at doing them...

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka View Post
    Power Lower
    Squat 305x5,5,5,5
    Deadlift 365x5,5,5,2
    Seated Calf 180x5,5,5,5

Bench 225x5,5,3,4
    Tbar 150x5,5,5,5
    Standing BB Press 115x5,5,5,5

leg press 540x10,8,8
    hack squats 180x10,10,10
    Standing leg curl single leg 40x8,10,8
    lying curl 100x6 90x10,6
    Standing calf 90x10,10
    Seated calf 125x10,10

pulled hamstrings, time off to rehab, also missed first hypertrophy due to a wedding

Bench 225x4, was not doing proper speed so i lowered weight 205x5,5,5
    Tbar 160x10,10,10,10
    Standing bb press 120x5,5,5,5

Incline DB 60x10,10,10
    Lat PD 120x10,10,10
    Cable Row 90x10,10,10
    Side lat 15x10,10,10
    Reverse Fly 120x10,10,10
    Shrug 60x10,10,10
    Tricep PD 120x10,10,10
    Ezbar curl 50x10,8,5

Bench 215x5,5,5,5
    Tbar 170x5,5,5
    Standing BBP 135x5,5,5

Incline DB 65x10,10,10
    Lat PD 140x10,10,10
    Cable Row 110x10,10,8
    Side Lat 20x10,10,10
    Reverse Fly 130x10,10,10
    Shrug 65x10,10,9
    Tricep PD 140x10,10,10
    Ezbar 50x10,10,7

I have not used a spot for any exercise.
    Also I am hoping in a week or so to be gtg for deads again. I did them yesterday with 95lbs just to stretch out my hamstring. goign to go for 135 today and slowly work up everyday until im back to sets of 365
    Can u list some of your progress on lifts so far...

One thing for next lower hyper day.... U see where u have done 10,8,8 on the leg press........ Next week use the same weight and get 10,10,10 even if u have to do breathing reps (by that I mean u get ur 8 and then u take a few seconds to compose ur self before getting another 1 and then the same for one more rep)..... That way u hav hit ur goal and u can progress the next week...

Reason I say this is that most people don't go to true failure on the leg press, I bet u could get those reps by doing what I have said above.... Use a spotter just in case

Brick is offline Member

Can u list some of your progress on lifts so far...

One thing for next lower hyper day.... U see where u have done 10,8,8 on the leg press........ Next week use the same weight and get 10,10,10 even if u have to do breathing reps (by that I mean u get ur 8 and then u take a few seconds to compose ur self before getting another 1 and then the same for one more rep)..... That way u hav hit ur goal and u can progress the next week...

Reason I say this is that most people don't go to true failure on the leg press, I bet u could get those reps by doing what I have said above.... Use a spotter just in case
    Sounds good!

Today was
    Dead 135x8 225x8 feeling it out
    Seated 185x5,5,5

Hams feel good enough to do lower hyper day. Will take today and tomor off from gym and start back on routine on Sunday.

As for progress

Bench 205 > 215
    Squat 305 > 310
    Lat pd 120 > 140
    Cable row 90 > 110
    Lateral raise 15 > 20

That's just off the top of my head. At end of October I will make a nice little spreadsheet with time line, how many work outs, % increase, also will include weight and measurements
    Last edited by Brick; 09-28-2012 at 02:45 PM.

I was wondering about how you felt on varying the workouts a little from the past week. This week I did standing shoulder press instead of seated, I wasn't able to push as much weight but I felt a better workout. I know since you change the workout you can't see progress in advancing weights but you can still see progress throughout your body.

Or are you locked in once you decide on your routine?

Brick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by red_hulk
    I was wondering about how you felt on varying the workouts a little from the past week. This week I did standing shoulder press instead of seated, I wasn't able to push as much weight but I felt a better workout. I know since you change the workout you can't see progress in advancing weights but you can still see progress throughout your body.

Or are you locked in once you decide on your routine?
    I would say just view it as a new starting point and continue to track your progress. While it won't show all progress from start it will still show progress. However I would decide on your exercises and not change until at least after a deload. Base put time and effort into thinking up the plan and each exercise serves its purpose

Well he's said before that the excersizes are examples. I'm assuming that something that targets the same muscle group and is similar in movement there's no difference. For instance, instead of t-bar rows I started with Bent BB underhand row. It's almost the same just a little different.

Brick is offline Member
    Well he's said before that the excersizes are examples. I'm assuming that something that targets the same muscle group and is similar in movement there's no difference. For instance, instead of t-bar rows I started with Bent BB underhand row. It's almost the same just a little different.
    I would ask some vets on which muscles they work but I believe they work mostly the same. Just choose one and stick with it so you can track progression

I don't gotta ask vets to see what muscles are targeted by workouts. My question was if you're locked into a workout after you begin your routine. Thanks tho dude.

Brick is offline Member
    I don't gotta ask vets to see what muscles are targeted by workouts. My question was if you're locked into a workout after you begin your routine. Thanks tho dude.
    In that case. I would say no. Routines change as your body adapts

951thompson is offline Senior Member
    I've just started this routine today, wowza it's kicked my ass. I will sleep well tonight lol

I did lower power day today, I added weighted ab machine to the routine too.
    :
    Gonna add bicep curls to upper power day tomorrow too

Hyper lower day im going to add abs again

And hyper upper day instead of doing lat pulldown machine im going to do chin ups, also at the end of the routine im going to do press ups x3 which I think will be a nice way to end the routine seen as press ups work your whole upper body ;-)

Thanks for sharing the routine baseline, it's kick ass ;-)
    Last edited by 951thompson; 10-08-2012 at 12:06 PM.

mockery is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 951thompson View Post
    I've just started this routine today, wowza it's kicked my ass. I will sleep well tonight lol

:

And hyper upper day instead of doing lat pulldown machine im going to do chin ups, also at the end of the routine im going to do press ups x3 which I think will be a nice way to end the routine seen as press ups work your whole upper body ;-)

this power hypertrophy style routine is not meant to be started at full throttle out of the gate, its takes many people 4-6 weeks to start training at its full capacity. starting this mid cycle will only cause you to over reach and come pct you will be over trained. Good luck with losing all your gains and getting fat and injured. You will rage and think this is a personal attack, which it isnt. Its the cold hard truth. and truth hurts. Next time get your diet and training sorted before using gear. not 7 weeks into a cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by mockery

this power hypertrophy style routine is not meant to be started at full throttle out of the gate, its takes many people 4-6 weeks to start training at its full capacity. starting this mid cycle will only cause you to over reach and come pct you will be over trained. Good luck with losing all your gains and getting fat and injured. You will rage and think this is a personal attack, which it isnt. Its the cold hard truth. and truth hurts. Next time get your diet and training sorted before using gear. not 7 weeks into a cycle.
    What are you talking about? You don't know what my diet looks like (check out my log) also you don't know how I've been training (again check my log) I am taking this as a personal attack because that is what it is. I decided to give this routine a try because I like to change my shit up from time to time.
    You dont know what you are talking about (fact) I've read all about this routine written by one of the worlds leading fittness and nutrition experts. On power days the aim is to max out. (that's why it's called a power day)

You don't know me fool so keep your uneducated opinion to yourself, because I didn't ask for your backwards input!

Blog Entries
    What are you talking about? You don't know what my diet looks like (check out my log) also you don't know how I've been training (again check my log) I am taking this as a personal attack because that is what it is. I decided to give this routine a try because I like to change my shit up from time to time.
    You dont know what you are talking about (fact) I've read all about this routine written by one of the worlds leading fittness and nutrition experts. On power days the aim is to max out. (that's why it's called a power day)

You don't know me fool so keep your uneducated opinion to yourself, because I didn't ask for your backwards input!

everyone on this board who has tried to help you, u lash out at, You wont last here long.

everyone on this board who has tried to help you, u lash out at, You wont last here long.
    No you ain't trying to help me, you was having a stab at me, do you know the first thing about this routine? My guess is no!
    on power days you go heavy and hard then at the end of the week you do hypers days, which are in a sort a deload days (to stop you getting burned out) Your opinion is uneducated. You stated I should get my training and diet in order, when you don't have a clue what my diet looks like or my training. My diet is probably cleaner then yours. You had a stab at me, don't try to pretend it was the other way round. (I wasn't talking to you, you put yourself in this conversation, who is out of order here?)

This is the end of the discussion for me.

Blog Entries
    considering i have worked with Layne Norton on numerous occasions, i would say i know 1 or 2 things about power/hyper splits.

Blog Entries
    considering i have read your logs already before i made my first post, i would say i know 1 or things about your diet.

Quote Originally Posted by 951thompson

:

I'm going to have to agree with mockery, you should have a better attitude when people try to help you.

Bicep curls aren't a power workout either btw. On top of the fact that they're already being hit if you're doing your back workout right.

I'm going to have to agree with mockery, you should have a better attitude when people try to help you.

Bicep curls aren't a power workout either btw. On top of the fact that they're already being hit if you're doing your back workout right.
    Im open to advice but I don't like the way mockery came across, he came at me like he was gunning for an argument.

On the subject of biceps, you could say the same about calfs not been a power exercise, you hit them when you do squats and deadlifts. The point of this split is to give your body a all over body workout twice per week.
    I've decided to work bicep on power day because I would like to work bicep twice per week, as they are a muscle I would like to develop.

Blog Entries
    Im open to advice but I don't like the way mockery came across, he came at me like he was gunning for an argument.

On the subject of biceps, you could say the same about calfs not been a power exercise, you hit them when you do squats and deadlifts. The point of this split is to give your body a all over body workout twice per week.
    I've decided to work bicep on power day because I would like to work bicep twice per week, as they are a muscle I would like to develop.
    if you squat 2-3 times a week you don't need to train calves.

i guess every day is arm day. considering u use them on power back, hyper back and "arm day" so you need a fourth day? This doesn't make sense

if you squat 2-3 times a week you don't need to train calves.

i guess every day is arm day. considering u use them on power back, hyper back and "arm day" so you need a fourth day? This doesn't make sense
    You don't understand this split at all do you? No I do bicep 2 times per week, once on power day and once on hyper day. This is a upper body lower body split, one day lower body the next upper body are you with me? So I train my upper body twice per week then also lower body twice per week.
    I don't understand where you get im working my arms 3 to 4 times per week?

Im working bicep twice per week
    Last edited by 951thompson; 10-10-2012 at 04:57 AM.

Brick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 951thompson

You don't understand this split at all do you? No I do bicep 2 times per week, once on power day and once on hyper day. This is a upper body lower body split, one day lower body the next upper body are you with me? So I train my upper body twice per week then also lower body twice per week.
    I don't understand where you get im working my arms 3 to 4 times per week?

Im working bicep twice per week
    Deadlifts = biceps
    Rows = biceps
    Pullups = biceps

So even on lower days you work your biceps

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information