aussie_bodybuilda is offline Associate Member

how important is it to do cardio ? and how many people actually do it?

im trying to build muscle as fast as possible, just wondering how important is it to do cardio ? and how many people actually do it? will it help me gain muscle faster if i do cardio ? cus i never do it lol.

Bulkn is offline Productive Member
    Yes its suposed to help..
    Not only that, doing cardo helps me get though workouts much better! No shortness of breath and dont get so tired!
    And its good for your heart

bodybuilder is offline Senior Member
    If you care about your health it is very important.

Dont wanna be old is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkn View Post
    Yes its suposed to help..
    Not only that, doing cardo helps me get though workouts much better! No shortness of breath and dont get so tired!
    And its good for your heart
    When squatting and dead-lifting I'm always winded . Been trying to up cardio thinking if I wasn't gasping for air I could do a couple more reps .

Bulkn is offline Productive Member
    I used to be like that before i started cardio.
    Surprisingly i only do medium- fast pace walking for fat burn 20 mins after workout a few days a week.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    I never used to, I do it every day now. I know i'm better off doing it just from looking in the mirror

Derwin is offline New Member
    Hi aussie,
    Some advantages of cardio exercises:
    Increases blood flow to the muscles
    Improves overall appearance
    Increase in endurance
    Burns calories quickly
    Contributes to good mental state of mind and healthy skin
    Improves body metabolism
    Lowers heart resting rate

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I'm 40....I have to.

Jonesyy is offline Junior Member
    Curious about this. I'm 20 and just getting back into it/researching as much as possible to help myself in the long-run.

I've heard the brisk walk/light jog interval training helps to burn fat, as well as cardio in general? So, if I was to do this for 20 minutes before my session, and 10 minutes after, what would be the results?

Dont do cardio before weights, you wont be able to workout as intense as you should. Do at least 30mins after weights, 45-60mins would be ideal if you wnt to cut up.

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    cardio also helps your body becomming more efficient at clearing lactic acid from muscles, When I didn't do any cardio when i as in my early 20's, i could work out and after 3 or 4 sets of heavy bench press, i'd have nothing left and move over to incline bench and barely be able to do reps with 135.

With cardio on point my weight training workouts have become more intense

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Absolutely Scotty

The benefits of cardio training are much more involved than simply burning calories and training the heart for generall health...

Will cardio training help you to grow faster.... Yes....

Will an excess of cardio slow growth.....Yes

Find a balance.... 3-5 30 min sessions per week is what I would reccomend to everyone.... Im talking about everyone on this planet....

I think i will be going with 5 sessions per week.... 3x30 min sessions and 2x45-60 min session
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

J-Crane is offline New Member
    auslifta
    this is not true by doing cardio before a workout the blood is moving therefor more nutrients are in the muscle meaning you can do more reps/weight
    cardio after a workout can hurt muscles that have already been strained which hurts muscle growth
    long cardio secessions are for cutting unless you under 25 you wont build much muscle while cutting unless over weight by a good bit
    i see people all the time bigger then me lifting less weight or looking like there going to pass out because they didn't warm up before lifting
    to cut cardio should be done fasted then eat then lift then eat again
    Last edited by J-Crane; 05-11-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: hit wrong button didnt reple with quote

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    ^^IMHO, anything more than a 15 minute warmup is detrimenal to your resistance training

Quote Originally Posted by J-Crane View Post
    auslifta
    this is not true by doing cardio before a workout the blood is moving therefor more nutrients are in the muscle meaning you can do more reps/weight
    cardio after a workout can hurt muscles that have already been strained which hurts muscle growth
    long cardio secessions are for cutting unless you under 25 you wont build much muscle while cutting unless over weight by a good bit
    i see people all the time bigger then me lifting less weight or looking like there going to pass out because they didn't warm up before lifting
    to cut cardio should be done fasted then eat then lift then eat again
    I have to disagree. for a warm up no more than 5mins before weights, otherwise your lifting will not be as intense as you should make them. Doing 30mins on x-trainer after weights is no way detrimential to muscle growth.

J-Crane is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by auslifta View Post
    I have to disagree. for a warm up no more than 5mins before weights, otherwise your lifting will not be as intense as you should make them. Doing 30mins on x-trainer after weights is no way detrimental to muscle growth.
    i wasn't saying he should do more then 5-15 min warm-up when bulking...
    but IMHO when maxing cardio after will hurt muscle growth, he wants to get get big fast so heavy weights is were its at
    fireguy had a good read on the subject i think it was but cant find it

dirtybrd is offline Associate Member
    I just started doing daily 30 mins of target heart rate cardio about 3 weeks ago. I have noticed no adverse effects and do feel like I get a better lifts.

tapout417 is offline Junior Member
    Me personally I never do cardio anymore. Im 29 now. I use to train in boxing and all we did was cardio I couldn't put a pound on no matter how much I ate and weight trained. I had six pack abs from the time I was 13. It wasn't untill I quit cardio that I really started putting on my size. I realize the benefits of cardio but for now I'm looking to gain mass and unfortunately I can't do both

Thread Information