marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~

Incline Dumbbell curls -

Within this thread I am going to go through an exercise what will increase your bicep potential and hopefully give you that extra bit of size and overall development . That exercise is incline curls and if done correctly they will thicken, increase size and peak in your biceps.

Everyone wants big thick peaked arms and over the years ive tried many different exercises to achieve this image. Obviously genetics play a huge part in arm development but there are a few exercises what can add that little bit more mass, refinement, shape and peak to those arms. To keep it simple the biceps have two heads the lateral side (outer) of the bicep is known as the long head and the inner is called the short head. The outer bicep is more emphasized when implementing this kind of movement but with alittle additional help inner and outer heads can be activated.

You should set your bench to around 60% incline, some may need to increase this incline and others may need to decrease but around the 60% mark is an ideal starting position to implement this exercise correctly. First thing we need to do is warm up the biceps so selecting an easy weight what you can do at least 20 reps with will be an ideal starting weight so we can get ready for our working sets. Pick up your dumbbells and let them hang directly down from the shoulder, this should put the shoulder in a slightly backward position due to the incline position of the bench, this will place great stress on the outer head of the bicep and unwind the bicep muscle to it fullest. Make sure your shoulder joint moves backwards this is called extension which simply means the shoulders are back, this will unwind and stretch and the long head of the bicep from the start of the lift to the finish.

Begin with the palms facing each other now with one arm at a time pull the dumbbell up towards the shoulder and once the dumbbell clears the hip start supinating it so that the palms turn towards the ceiling. At the top of the movement you need to flex your bicep hard and hold for a second and then start to slowly lower the weight towards the floor, as you descend turn the dumbbell yet again as it comes to hip so you palms are facing each other like at the start of the movement, as soon as you have finish one arm start lifting the other arm up in the same fashion.

At all times you need to be in control of the weight no sloppy movements, strict, slow and controlled is the key to maximizing results and breaking down the muscle tissue in the biceps. Incline dumbbell curls in an intense exercise what utilizes the shoulder position to create stress on the long head of the bicep, but dont just think its all about your long head, the inner bicep head will be activated and will be screaming along side your outer head. This is because of the supination of the hands during the full range of motion of the exercise, when this is done correctly you can activate and isolate both heads throughout the lift.

Now you should be fully warmed up and ready to implement your working sets, no matter what kind of routine your using incorporate some incline dumbbell curls and watch your arm development go through the roof, enjoy.

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Lay it on us big man, good stuff!

It is quality movement.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    I rate them!

Nice Post

BB curls
    Incline DB curls
    BB Preacher curls

^^ my favorite ^^
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

kalspic is offline Senior Member
    great movement. i finish off my bicep routine with this, love it. does it also stretch the fasia?

Diagram showing the long and short heads of the bicep...

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    doin em first manana

sbc
    incline db curls
    crossbody hammers

my fav's

good thread!!

MBMETC is offline Anabolic Member
    i super set tricep push downs and incline db curl for an arm burning rip....works every time

^^ sounds good

Chevroletstud is offline Junior Member
    My bis lack bigtime! I will start doing these tomorrow. How many reps and sets after warm up?

Quote Originally Posted by Chevroletstud View Post
    My bis lack bigtime! I will start doing these tomorrow. How many reps and sets after warm up?
    That would depend on which training protocol your using!

Thread Information