Black is offline Anabolic Member

Masters of leg development and anatomy, I need your help.

For awhile now, I thought I had under developed vastus lateralis (Don't get me wrong, my legs are not as developed as I want). It doesn't insert all the way down to my knee. There is about a 1 1/2" to 2" gap from the bottom of my vastus lateralis and my knee.

I thought I wasn't born with the muscle there or something like that. When I was born, my hips, knees and feet were all pointing in (obviously, I was pigeon toed and this created weak, sore hips, knees and ankles. I don't know if that has something to do with it.

I talked with a friend who is a Physical Therapist and he said it wasn't a defect. He said some people's tendons start up higher than others. This is why my vastus lateralis is long.

This would be an acceptable answer, however, I don't ever see anyone's legs, who squat heavy, look like that. Actually, I don't see many quads that do that.

So from experienced lifters, what I am doing wrong? Can this area of my quad ever be "normal"? Would love to hear all insight, advice on exercises, etc.

Here are some pics. Be as harsh as you want, I know my wheels suck.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Black; 06-11-2011 at 07:38 PM.

lifter65 is offline Associate Member
    the pics wont show up try reposting them

I reuploaded them. I can see them fine, let me know if they are still unviewable.

goodlifting is offline Associate Member
    i kinda see what you're talking about. your v medials actually look pretty good.

what is your squat technique like? squatting with a relatively narrow stance might help with your laterals. heels should be about underneath your hips or maybe slightly wider.

For the past month, I've been performing my lifts with a narrow stance. I squat with a shoulder-width stance, toes pointed forward. When I use the hack squat and leg press, my feet are almost together, with toes pointed forward.

I think I'm going to lower my weight and start doing some front squats again and also incorporate one-legged extensions.

I've tried all different kinds of movements and stances, focusing around squats, for years and have never been able to get my outter quads to respond.

Actually, now that I think of it, when I squat, I feel it all in my hammys, glutes and hips. I don't know if its because of the lack of muscle in my quad that makes me focus more of my strength from those areas. But I don't feel anything in my quads, unless I perform machine squats or leg presses.

Thanks for replying.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    You can squat til the end of time and use every tecnique available but you cant change the insertion points of your muscle.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante Diamond View Post
    For the past month, I've been performing my lifts with a narrow stance. I squat with a shoulder-width stance, toes pointed forward. When I use the hack squat and leg press, my feet are almost together, with toes pointed forward.

I think I'm going to lower my weight and start doing some front squats again and also incorporate one-legged extensions.

I've tried all different kinds of movements and stances, focusing around squats, for years and have never been able to get my outter quads to respond.

Actually, now that I think of it, when I squat, I feel it all in my hammys, glutes and hips. I don't know if its because of the lack of muscle in my quad that makes me focus more of my strength from those areas. But I don't feel anything in my quads, unless I perform machine squats or leg presses.

Thanks for replying.
    this is what i have seen as well....but recently have focused more on legs with high hopes...however the your pics may as well be mine minus the ink

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    You can squat til the end of time and use every tecnique available but you cant change the insertion points of your muscle.
    That's what I was afraid of. I'll still focus on using a more narrow-stance, in hopes of atleast creating a bigger sweep in my outter quad (width).

Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    this is what i have seen as well....but recently have focused more on legs with high hopes...however the your pics may as well be mine minus the ink
    I could have guess that by your avatar because of the insertion point of your bicep. Mine is the exact same. Atleast we can build a nice peak.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante Diamond View Post
    That's what I was afraid of. I'll still focus on using a more narrow-stance, in hopes of atleast creating a bigger sweep in my outter quad (width).

I could have guess that by your avatar because of the insertion point of your bicep. Mine is the exact same. Atleast we can build a nice peak.
    lol...thats so strange...yeh, arms never a prob...well...subscribed to this thread and am going to try some of the ideas and advice...i cant say that i didnt also neglect to work the wheels either so gonna start there

Thread Information