Thread: Powerbuilding?!

The Rock! is offline Junior Member

Powerbuilding?!

Ok, so I'm trying to add mass to my arms and a PT at my gym recommended "powerbuilding". He knows that I train MMA so I don't want to get too bulky but he assures me that this will work, so I want to ask you guys .

He insists that instead of doing lower weight/high reps (currently I'm curling about 35lbs @ 20 reps, pyramid down through 5 sets) I should be lifting close to my MAX weight with lower reps (he said 5 reps through 6 sets) to add mass fast. "Strength is muscle" he says.

What do you guys think? I'm worried about injury using this system, but I'm also worried that I've plateaued.

lifter65 is offline Associate Member
    ok here we go, if you are training for mma and taking it seriously there is no need for doing isolation movements in your training or at least keep them to a minimum and include ext rotations, etc, also you should be doing lots of compound exercises and bodyweight exercises with strongman exercises also, such as battling ropes, sledgehammer, keg carry, tire flip, prowler, etc. You definately dont want to train like a bodybuilder or a powerlifter or a powerbodybuilder which makes me lol, you should be training like a fighter if your taking mma seriously, now i understand that you may be getting into this and are confused, trust me i was when i first started lifting, but trust me train like a fighter

The Rock! is offline Junior Member
    Hey thanks for responding!

My MMA workout is solid; everything that you mentioned plus a few more tricks that keep me ahead of the game. Right now, I can't train my striking like I want because I'm on Coumadin. So doctors orders are "no contact sports for the next 6 months". Laying in the hospital for 2 months really took its toll on my physique.

So I don't just want to sit around so I decided that I'll get some size on my arms. I'm not going to revert to the fatty that I was. So this "powerbuilding" thing was really interesting to me especially since the PT that I spoke with was totally jacked in the arms.

Thread Information