gthom47 is offline Associate Member

question on the role of genetics

how much of a role does genetics play in obtaining the physique you ultimately want? personally i want to have a boybuilding look, and i think i am on my way but i know that my genetics suck. so how far can you really go even with great training and diet with crap genetics?

CMB
    CMB is offline Senior Member
    How do you know you genetics suck?

And to answer your question they play a big role. But, there is no certain answer you're looking for. Did you want me to say 20% or 10%? Well honestly, I have no idea.

IMO, people only hide behind the genetics as an excuse. Your genetics don't make you fat (not directing this towards you) as I've heard 100000000 times.

lifter65 is offline Associate Member
    some people have better genes for size, others for strength, once you start experimenting with weights you will naturally gravitate towards which one suits you (size or strength)

nguadagno is offline Associate Member
    can all people get big? or like will only some people be able to put on size, thats what im afraid of, i feel like if i keep working out i wont gain mass ill only get i guess more defined?

MastaMan is offline Associate Member
    Unless you have some wasting disease, you can "get big." Lots of hard work, and good lifestyle habits will give you the body you desire. Get educated on the subject, and never be discouraged, growth takes time be strong!

TOkidd is offline Productive Member
    It depends what your idea of "big" is. You may be able to get "big" in relation to the size you are now, but not big like Ronnie Coleman, even without the juice. Same goes for strength. The point is, even with poor genetics for muscle building, everyone can see satisfying results with proper diet and training, but it takes time - a good four to five years to reach your peak physique, and even then there are always small improvements to be made. This is usually the point at which people start trying steroids . But don't start thinking, "shit, I don't have four or five years to get big, I want it NOW!" There's no instant gratification when it comes to BB, but you will see constant results and improvements, which will motivate you to keep working.

peace

TOkidd

Str8Jakked is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
    But don't start thinking, "shit, I don't have four or five years to get big, I want it NOW!" There's no instant gratification when it comes to BB, but you will see constant results and improvements, which will motivate you to keep working.
    Well said, unfortunately in this day and age it's seldom that you will find someone with this work ethic- everyone wants the Magic Pill.

Thread Information