CRXSI211 is offline New Member

help me review my workout...

just looking for advice wit my workout...my goal is to put on mass..im 5'10..150 lbs now...also im not sure the names of some excersizes so i might just describe them..sorryyy

well here it is...

Mon - Chest:
    3 sets of dumbell press (8-8-6 reps)
    3 sets of incline dumberll press (8-8-6 reps)
    3 sets of decline dumbell press(8-8-6 reps)
    3 sets of fly's (8-8-6 reps)

Tuesday - BI's:
    3 sets of straighbar curls(8-8-6 reps)
    3 sets of dumbell curls(8-8-6 reps)
    3 sets of hammer dumbell curls(8-8-6 reps)
    3 sets of small bar clurls(8-8-6 reps)
    Tri's
    3 sets of tri pulldowns(8-8-6 reps)
    3 sets of french curls(8-8-6 reps)
    3 sets of tricept extension(8-8-6 reps)
    3 sets of (sitin up straight and holding a dumbell wiht both arms and moving it up and downbehind ur head)(8-8-6 reps)

Wednesday - shoulders
    3 sets of shouldder press (8-8-6 reps)
    3 sets of cables/shoulder extension wiht cables (8-8-6 reps)
    3 sets of (holding dumbelss standing up, extending arms frward, then back down)(8-8-6 reps)
    3 sets of - sholder shrugs(8-8-6 reps)
    - legs
    3 sets of leg extension(8-8-6 reps)
    3 sets of squats(8-8-6 reps)
    3 sets of seated calf raise(8-8-6 reps)

3 sets of

solidj55 is offline Member
    To much volume bro. Hit the basic compound movements and cut out the bullshit. When I am looking to build mass I do the following routine, of course I alter it as I go along.

Day 1(usually Monday)
    Dumbell Bench Press or Dumbell Incline Press*-3x5
    Military Press-3x8
    Closegrip Incline or Closegrip Bench**-3x10
    Dips-3x12
    Decline Situps-3x25
    *I alternate my dumbell bench press and dumbell incline every two weeks
    **I alternate my closegrip inclines and benches every two weeks. If I do dumbell bench press then I use closegrip inclines, if i do dumbell incline then i use closegrip bench press

Day 2(Usually Wednesday)
    Pullups*-3x8(add weight as needed)
    Deadlift-3x5
    Rows**-3x8
    Shrugs-3x10
    Standing Barbell Curl-3x8
    *I alternate my pullups every two weeks. I use widegrip pullups, reverse grip chinups and supinated grip pullups.
    **I alternate the type of row every two weeks, I use barbell, T-bar, Dumbell, and seated cable rows in the rotation.

Day 3(Usually Friday)
    Squat-3xWhat ever I feel like lol, I use 20 reps, 12 reps, 8 reps, 5 reps, and 3 reps, just depends on how I feel.
    Leg Curls-3x8
    Seated Calves-3x20
    Decline Situps-3x25

Thats it dude. I eat 5 meals per day. Thats .8 to 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, 2 times my bodyweight in carbs, and I throw in 3 tablespoons of Flaxseed Oil per day at 3 of my meals. Keep it simple bro, hit the compound movements and eat.

cdog is offline Associate Member
    Dang bro your liftin to much you will never grow doing that unless you are a super freak.This is my wokout and gives great gains in size But I'll bet you will think it's to little remember you grow when you don't lift so you only want to simulate the muscle then let it rest so you can grow.

Arms and back
    Lat pull overs 1x6-8,Super set with close grip pull ups 1x failure
    preacher curls 1x6-8, 1x6 rest pause, 1x failure static hold
    Dead lifts 1x15
    Rest 3 days

chest ,shoulders,legs
    pec deck flys 1x6-8 superset with incline press 1x6-8, dips 1x failure.
    Lat raises 1x6-8, superset behind the neck press, upright rows 1x6-8
    squats 1x20, calf raises 1x15, static hold 1x failure/
    rest 3 days.you must take all to total failure .

hmmm cause basically wut i was thinking was...doing 4 excercises per body part..3 sets each...and once a week...and go heavy..i mean thats what peopel tell me....im basically looking to gan weight..tahts all...and i figure by doing it once a week..gives me plenty of time to heal..

Well I know you will do what you want to anyway but I am telling you the truth dude. It doesnt take all of that volume to grow, especially if you are a natty. More isnt always better, sometimes less is more.

I have posted this before but I feel it needs to be posted again. This was written by a guy who studied and trained with Charles Poliquin. If you dont know who Charles P. is then you need to start reading. He trains a few pro bodybuilders, several NFL player, NHL players, etc. He also trains Olympic athletes(Ben Johnson at one time). And if you ever look at a pic of him you will see he knows what he is talking about, he is one jacked SOB. Anyway, here is the article.

Here is a good article you should read that I posted on another board.

This was written by a guy that studied and trained with Charles Poliquin.

Begin with the Basics

by

David Harris

When I was 18, I took up resistance training really for the first time. I was a late beginner compared to a lot of my friends but I had always been a big guy and unlike some of my other smaller friends, I didn't need weights to make me feel bigger. In university I enjoyed hitting the old weight room at the University of Western Ontario -- the dungeon -- it was a great iron-lifting gym, it had two bikes and two Stairmasters but it had a lot of free weights.

Since I was studying Kinesiology, I tried to apply what I was learning in the classroom to what I was doing in the gym. It became apparent to me that the latest "Flex" workouts just didn't work for me or any of my friends. And worse when I did try to follow these workouts I would be fried, sooner or later I would get sick and be out of action for a while. Since I wasn't taking anything to "assist" my system and I was often stressed due to school it seemed to me that I had to find a better way to train.

In my own round about way I learned what the Germans referred to as "training economy". I went about and tried to discover what exercises gave me the most bang for my buck. And besides I didn't want to spend every waking moment in the gym. I was studying, I was a varsity athlete and I wanted a social life!

So in those days my routine consisted of:

Presses
    Squats/Deadlifts
    Rows
    Pulldowns (I couldn't do a chin-up in those days!)
    Hamstring Curls
    That was it!! I can honestly tell you that in four years of university I think I devoted an entire workout to arms five times! In fact, I hated doing them - I found it boring! The amazing thing was that some of my friends really criticized my training or lack of training. One guy in particular wanted to constantly measure arms. We agreed to have a little "contest" and we measured our arms -- whoever had gained the most after three months would buy the other guy dinner. I stuck to my basic plan and he stuck to whatever workout was in any of the magazines at the time. After three months I gained 1/4 of an inch on my arms he had gained nothing!! I can still taste that steak…To further prove a point he asked me how many times I had trained "arms," much to his chagrin I replied, "Zero!"

This base was essential in my development. I entered university 210 lbs and left 240 lbs with the same fat percentage. Now I'm not saying I was ready for any ab contests but the point was I was able to consistently add mass while performing very basic workouts. This by the way was recently demonstrated in the latest Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research (vol. 14, no. 3, Aug. 2000).

Way, way, way in the back there is an abstract that was presented at the 2000 NSCA conference. Entitled The Effect of Supplemental Isolated Weight-Training Exercises on Upper-Arm Size and Upper-Body Strength, researchers Rogers et al. examined whether or not supplemental exercises are necessary for increasing strength in the compound movements and increasing upper arm girth. Two groups completed a program consisting of bench press, lat pulldown, dumbbell incline press and one-arm dumbbell rows. That was it for the control group, meanwhile the testing group added "biceps curl and triceps extension exercises".

After 10 weeks testing was done on 5 RM bench and lat pulldown plus arm girth and although both groups improved strength and upper-arm girth, no significant difference between either group in strength or arm size! The researchers concluded that isolation exercises are not needed to improve strength in compound exercises and increase upper-arm girth and suggest that strength coaches could save time by not including isolation exercises in their athlete's programs and still achieve progress. Alas, I have been vindicated!

Now the specifics of the program were not given in the abstract, however, the point is still worth noting. You can start a good program with the basics and make significant improvements. Granted this sort of advice does tend to work better for a beginner. If you are just starting out don't waste your time doing wrist curls and cable cross-overs - stick to the basics! It is also good to keep programs like this in mind for times of increase stress and less workout time. Essentially, if you can't workout 4 times per week chances are you will be able to maintain any strength and size on a program that focuses on the basics. When your schedule returns to normal you can resume your normal split.

Recommendations:

Pick a "core" lift and focus on that lift for a given time period (e.g. 6 weeks)

When training legs pick either deadlifts or squat as the main exercise for legs -- for a while I used to do deadlifts and squats in the same workout!! Can you say overtrainied?

Try low sets and high reps for squat and deadlift workouts…try 3 sets of 20 reps of squats or deadlifts and tell me those aren't difficult. Finish your legs off with 4 sets of 6-8 reps of hamstring curls and your leg workout is over!

Do Chin-ups/Pull-ups -- and if you can't, work on them!! Get a training partner to help you up and lower your self thereby "working the negative", sooner than later you'll be able to do a chin-up on your own. (Here's a tip I picked up from Charles: When you are able to lower yourself for longer than 30 seconds you should be able to perform 1 full repetition) I realize this can be frustrating and embarrassing, 2 years ago I could not do 1 chin-up (palms facing me) -- now I can do wide grip pull-ups for reps -- keep at it!

Press, Press, Press. Shoulder, flat and incline bench presses are all great to do. I recommend using dumbbells as often as possible especially when you're a beginner.

Always respect perfect form!

Now that's practicing Safe Flex!

About the Author

Dave is a Strength & Fitness Consultant in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He has worked with Charles Poliquin in training some of the world's best hockey players and has also worked with track and field athletes and professional football players. Currently, he is the strength coach for the University of Toronto Men's Hockey team and specializes in preventative and rehabilitative exercise. He can be reached for consultation at [email protected] via email

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    solidj55 - Coach Poliquin is the shit... did you see his new Web site? CharlesPoliquin.net - it looks good. There is a way to get one-on-one with him in 15 to 30 minute intervals... shit probably costs a few bucks though.

His bio page and his pic - dude is jacked... which you have to respect for someone that spends most of his time helping others... he has a doctorate but never uses it in his name, only Coach because he believes the meat of his knowledge that lead to his success came from his own research (like translating Eastern Bloc journals) - not from what they taught him in school.

Originally posted by Warrior
    solidj55 - Coach Poliquin is the shit... did you see his new Web site? CharlesPoliquin.net - it looks good. There is a way to get one-on-one with him in 15 to 30 minute intervals... shit probably costs a few bucks though.

His bio page and his pic - dude is jacked... which you have to respect for someone that spends most of his time helping others... he has a doctorate but never uses it in his name, only Coach because he believes the meat of his knowledge that lead to his success came from his own research (like translating Eastern Bloc journals) - not from what they taught him in school.

Yea dude, I actually emailed him because of his new site, he helped me out with a simple kick ass workout. Most of my advice that I give is based on his shit. I wish I was rich lol, I would go train with him for a year.

I rellly do appreaciate ur responses..and im not an expert so i dont posess bodybuilding knowlege like u guys,..thats y whatever im doing is gathered form advices from guys whom i know around the way..so basically...can someone then lay out a one week workout routine for me..i guess 3 day week routine? wut excersies..amt or reps/sets? id really appreciate it and i would like to try out anything that will give me better results....

Here I already layed it out for you.

Originally posted by solidj55
    To much volume bro. Hit the basic compound movements and cut out the bullshit. When I am looking to build mass I do the following routine, of course I alter it as I go along.

Day 1(usually Monday)
    Dumbell Bench Press or Dumbell Incline Press*-3x5
    Military Press-3x8
    Closegrip Incline or Closegrip Bench**-3x10
    Dips-3x12
    Decline Situps-3x25
    *I alternate my dumbell bench press and dumbell incline every two weeks
    **I alternate my closegrip inclines and benches every two weeks. If I do dumbell bench press then I use closegrip inclines, if i do dumbell incline then i use closegrip bench press

Day 2(Usually Wednesday)
    Pullups*-3x8(add weight as needed)
    Deadlift-3x5
    Rows**-3x8
    Shrugs-3x10
    Standing Barbell Curl-3x8
    *I alternate my pullups every two weeks. I use widegrip pullups, reverse grip chinups and supinated grip pullups.
    **I alternate the type of row every two weeks, I use barbell, T-bar, Dumbell, and seated cable rows in the rotation.

Day 3(Usually Friday)
    Squat-3xWhat ever I feel like lol, I use 20 reps, 12 reps, 8 reps, 5 reps, and 3 reps, just depends on how I feel.
    Leg Curls-3x8
    Seated Calves-3x20
    Decline Situps-3x25

Thats it dude. I eat 5 meals per day. Thats .8 to 1 gram of <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> per pound of bodyweight, 2 times my bodyweight in carbs, and I throw in 3 tablespoons of Flaxseed Oil per day at 3 of my meals. Keep it simple bro, hit the compound movements and eat.

cool thanx.....wahts a proper way to do a deadlift by the way??? also..only 1 excercice for Bi's?

Aguro is offline Associate Member
    I been overtraining alot recently and i gaved a try on that workout.
    I did the first day and it felt good, it pretty much different from what i was used to do but it felt good, imma try to follow it for the rest of my cycle.
    Thanx man

Sheek is offline Junior Member

Focus on compound movements.

As solidj55 said, just cut all the bull and focus on the basic movements. I used to workout 5 times a week and have cut it down to 2, and ever since I did I gained like crazy. I currently do H.I.T you guys should try it. www.hardgainer.com is a good place to start.

Originally posted by CRXSI211
    cool thanx.....wahts a proper way to do a deadlift by the way??? also..only 1 excercice for Bi's?
    You cant look at it like only one exercise for bis. Your bis will be hit while deadlifting, pullups, rows, etc. Trust me they will be fine.

Originally posted by Aguro
    I been overtraining alot recently and i gaved a try on that workout.
    I did the first day and it felt good, it pretty much different from what i was used to do but it felt good, imma try to follow it for the rest of my cycle.
    Thanx man
    Im glad you tried it dude. I think if you give it a chance you will enjoy it.

Thread Information