blind249 is offline New Member

Seated Shoulder Press, lower back pain?

I just have a quick question. When im doing seated shoulder press i start to arch my back and i get pain in my lower back, ive tried to not arch it but i still get the pain. Ive tried dropping the weight but then it feels like im not working out hard enough at all. Is this technique or do i need to work out lower back and core a bit more?

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    DO you wear a weight belt? do you have a spotter? when seated does the bench have a back support? If you answered no to any of these questions, you are asking to get hurt/injured when lifting heavy.

lifter65 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blind249 View Post
    I just have a quick question. When im doing seated shoulder press i start to arch my back and i get pain in my lower back, ive tried to not arch it but i still get the pain. Ive tried dropping the weight but then it feels like im not working out hard enough at all. Is this technique or do i need to work out lower back and core a bit more?
    you need to stand up and lower the weight

brad1986 is offline Senior Member
    You need to streanthn your core alot more -main thing... Next thing is if you stretch your lats out it will help, as your lats being tight pull your back into an arch when you lift overhead. Focus on transverse abdominis training for core and this will go away. In the mean time lighten up the wieght

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    if your sat in the squat rack adjust the the seat backwards 1o degrees so your leaning back slightly.

I dont wear a weight belt but i do have a spotter and the bench does have a back support. I tend to just push my upper back into the back support and my lower back arches out a bit.

Thanks for the advice though guys, i will try stretching lats and work on my core a bit more

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    also use less weight until you build up more strength

Alot of these suggestions will help the symptoms at the time of lifting but isnt going to fix the actual problem which is an under developed core. A wieght belt is just another way to **** your bcak up in the long run (it weakens your core by relying on its support)

any advice on some epic core workouts i could be doing?

planks and plank variations (as you progress) planking rows. Slow tempo leg lowering. Basically you want to strengthn the transverse abdominis, internal obliques, and lower rectus abdominis. These stablize your spine and pelvis through functional movements

Megadeth is offline Junior Member
    I've recently got back into lifting and I too notice that I've started a slight arch. But I agree with Mr-Q320...I leaned the bench back just one notch and a slight incline on the seat as well and it helped my issue greatly. Might be "cheating" in a sense, but it still hits the delts very well. But yes, drop the weight a tad if you're experiencing pain. Don't sacrifice form for a few extra pounds.

Thread Information