sleepy33 is offline Junior Member

Do you need decent flexability before starting weight training?

I'm trying to get back into basketball shape after not working out in a couple years. In the meantime, I have rarely stretched, even prior to playing basketball (I know, I know). Therefore, I can only reach down to mid shin when trying to touch my toes. I'm also very stiff in my hips. So the question is, should I stretch extensively and do cardio until I'm more limber prior to lifting weights? I imagine being this stiff would put me at a higher risk for tears, but is it a significant increase? I do play basketball a minimum of once a week and have had no problems with muscle tears, sprains, or strains. Thanks everyone

im83931 is offline Senior Member
    I would start weight training and stretching at the same time. I had surgery and was stiff like that. I just worked on both at the same time.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    yes, aim for as complete a picture as you can in your training

PitMaster is offline Associate Member
    you feeling lucky about injuries?...I stretch extensively before I hit weights..I have to. If you have any injuries to work around I would highly recommend deep stretching first.

SVTmuscle is offline Gsxxr's Bitch
    It's best to warmup with about 5-10 minutes of cardio then stretch for 5-10 minutes...I really focus on my hips and backs and I feel 100% better. I also try to spend 5-10 minutes after workout also, stretching is amazingly good for you along with regular massages!

I've read an article that stated static stretching actually hinders performance when done before working out or playing sports. It stated dynamic stretching was actually better prior to working out. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

im83931 is offline Senior Member
    I do a warmup for the muscle group that I workout without stretching before my workout. But I've read the same thing, that stretching is better post workout. I couldn't find the link but it also stated that stretches should be held static (not bouncing) for a minimum of 30 seconds otherwise the muscle can have a rebound effect and tighten up more. Since I can't find the article you should take it as opinion.

thanks for the replies

SVTmuscle is offline Gsxxr's Bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy33 View Post
    I've read an article that stated static stretching actually hinders performance when done before working out or playing sports. It stated dynamic stretching was actually better prior to working out. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    For the small % it may actually hinder your strength or performance, the large % it benefits your muscles, joints, ligaments and injury prevention I find it worth while...my opinion

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    It sounds kind of gay, and it is extremely boring to do, but try doing yoga. It helps massively...but I find it worse than cardio...god is it ****ing boring. I don't take a class or anything, I just stream the videos from Netflix Instant and copy what they are doing.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy33 View Post
    developmental stretches after working out are most beneficial, some studies lean towards stretching beforehand as having no benefit, i personally go by how i feel on the day as regarding pre workout stretching

Thread Information