ucf465 is offline Associate Member

Forearms give before back is fatigued

My forearms give out long before my back gets a decent workout.

ive tried straps and those work for grip strength but i need some ideas to get around all the work my forearms are doing instead of my back.

any suggestions?

thanks

ucf

BareKnuckle is offline Junior Member
    What exactly do you mean? From what this usually means, the answer is either wrist wraps or wrist hooks. If that is not working though, and you are seeking another answer, than I think I may not understand what the problem is?

im83931 is offline Senior Member
    How much weight are you trying to pull?

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    Start your back workouts with reverse pec deck machine if you have one. It hardley involves the forearm as much as rows and pull downs. Or you could try to fatigue the back first with these as well (video) but use an incline bench to rest your chest on. Set the incline to about 30degrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hluSzqCA0AA
    Use figure 8 straps for rows and pull downs at the end.

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Deadlifts, rows?????????????????????????

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ucf465 View Post
    My forearms give out long before my back gets a decent workout.

ive tried straps and those work for grip strength but i need some ideas to get around all the work my forearms are doing instead of my back.

any suggestions?

thanks

ucf
    Learn to hook the bar instead of gripping it.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auslifta View Post
    Start your back workouts with reverse pec deck machine if you have one. It hardley involves the forearm as much as rows and pull downs. Or you could try to fatigue the back first with these as well (video) but use an incline bench to rest your chest on. Set the incline to about 30degrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hluSzqCA0AA
    Use figure 8 straps for rows and pull downs at the end.
    im baffled as to how you think doing rear delts is going to help this problem?

Blog Entries
    use hooks (best, imo) or straps for whatever exercises are pumping the forearms the most, but also work on your grip via heavy deads, obviously with no straps etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    im baffled as to how you think doing rear delts is going to help this problem?
    If you modify the way it's done like I said, with hands lower It incorparates the back. If you fatigue the back muscles before doing seated row and pulldown, which use the forearms more, they should fatigue alot sooner than forearms without doing them. This method plus figure 8 straps fixed the problem for me.

Blog Entries
    If you modify the way it's done like I said, with hands lower It incorparates the back. If you fatigue the back muscles before doing seated row and pulldown, which use the forearms more, they should fatigue alot sooner than forearms without doing them. This method plus figure 8 straps fixed the problem for me.
    i cant see it fix pumping forearms tbh, i have the same problem and no amount of pre exhausting changes anything
    Last edited by dec11; 09-07-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    i cant see it fix pumping forearms tbh, i have the same problem and no amount of pre exhausting changes anything
    Maybe that has to do with your power lifting background. I'm always using forearms for work, so maybe I have built up some stamina in them. This method of pre exhaustion worked for me, it might help others.

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    do every compound lift you can..the harder the exercise the more likely it increases ur grip

Thanks for the input everyone i really appreciate it.

Terraj: How exactly do i "hook" the bar as opposed to grip the bar?

I have tried straps but they havent helped much, i will try to get some hooks and see how they work.

auslifta: i will give your method a shot. i heard about this from dorian yates in the videos "a week in the dungeon" posted by baseline, except they were doing it for biceps

once again, thanks to all!

ucf

Quote Originally Posted by wmaousley View Post
    Deadlifts, rows?????????????????????????

lat pull downs and seated low rows are the 2 main culprits

Quote Originally Posted by l2elapse View Post
    do every compound lift you can..the harder the exercise the more likely it increases ur grip
    I try to do as much compound lifting as possible, maybe i just need to work into my puss of a frame lol

Quote Originally Posted by im83931 View Post
    How much weight are you trying to pull?
    about 210 on the low row. this exercise is the end game for me. once i do it i can only work out with about 160 on lat pull downs. forearms give straight off just about

Blog Entries
    Maybe that has to do with your power lifting background. I'm always using forearms for work, so maybe I have built up some stamina in them. This method of pre exhaustion worked for me, it might help others.
    yeah deads dont affect me, my grip never has or never will give up on them, rows and lat p/downs kill me now but theres alot of variables at play, i bicep curled stupid weight on my 4th cycle and ive had forearm trouble ever since i stopped that cycle. hard to tell if it was an aggravated injury or it had been building up over time

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ucf465 View Post
    about 210 on the low row. this exercise is the end game for me. once i do it i can only work out with about 160 on lat pull downs. forearms give straight off just about
    hooks have saved me on rows, i cant use them for lat p/d, the angle causes em to tear into my wrist so i just get p/d's outa the way 1st and then im fine

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    I dont understand how with proper form , hooks or straps , this can be an issue.
    Hands are hooks - forearms are chains. Lower back straight even slightly arched. Shoulders slightly rolled forward allowing lats to stretch. Don focus on pulling - focus on pushing elbows back - as you execute chest goes slightly outward - try to squeeze shoulderblades together - focus on squeezing a pencil between your shoulder blades. Focus on using your back - again hands and forarms are of no significance just hooks and chain holding bar.
    If you need to lower weight to master proper form - do it.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by jimmyinkedup; 09-08-2011 at 01:21 PM.

im83931 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head. I had the same problem and had to lower the weight. After a while I don't know if my forearms caught up or my form improved either way it worked.

Blog Entries
    I dont understand how with proper form , hooks or straps , this can be an issue.
    Hands are hooks - forearms are chains. Lower back straight even slightly arched. Shoulders slightly rolled forward allowing lats to stretch. Don focus on pulling - focus on pushing elbows back - as you execute chest goes slightly outward - try to squeeze shoulderblades together - focus on squeezing a pencil between your shoulder blades. Focus on using your back - again hands and forarms are of no significance just hooks and chain holding bar.
    of course, what jimmys pointed out, can be the issue also

Hope this helps.
    Ok, back with an update.

^^^This definately helped, no question. but the weight was cut so drastically that it seems as if im barely hitting my back. im worried the more i start to move up in weight, the more the problem comes back.

still havent tried hooks yet. i want to see if this was just a form issue first.

im gonna give it some more time and reply again with more feed back soon.

Thanks again guys

ucf

Dog-Slime is offline Senior Member
    I had severe elbow and forearm pain and a combination of using cissus and switching to EOD weight training has helped it go away with me still getting much stronger at the same weight. Sometimes you just need to take a week off and can jump right back into the 5 day a week but once I reached a certain level of strength this no longer cut it for me. Anyway point is your forearms can be sore from previous workouts so try taking a week off or moving your back day to the start of the week or after a leg day when they are more rested would help and if it feels like your actual tendons are sore then look into some cissus. And if you wanna move some serious weight then try lifting every other day.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    hooks.. it's that simple
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Ok, im back.

i definately needed to work a bit on form, as this took care of some of the problem. hooks do help but not completely. they give me a very awkward feel and i def need to get used to them before anymore big lifting.

I also developed rhabdomolysis in my abdomen after a heavy squat day and a weekend of drinking so im put on hold for a week and 6 weeks on abs and squats

Thread Information