Thread: Overtraining

Donman1001 is offline Junior Member

Overtraining

21 years of age
    12% bf
    175 lbs
    5' 7"
    do you guys think that this split would be overtraining?
    Monday: Light Chest/Tri's/Shoulders
    Tuesday: Heavy Back/Bi's/Traps
    Wednesday: Light Legs
    Thursday: Heavy Chest/Tri's/Shoulders
    Friday: Light Back/Bi's/Traps
    Saturday: Heavy Legs
    Sunday: OFF

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    You'd have to be more detailed with reps/sets and what is "heavy" or "light" day to you, but I would lean toward yes.

If you're training with absolute intensity, you shouldn't be ready to hit legs again in a few days.

Ok, here it is then- Light days are more of a circuit training short rest 30-45 seconds mainly 75% of what I would lift on heavy days reps stay the same. Heavy days 2-3 minutes between sets 8 rep set is is around 80% of max lift.
    Monday: Light Chest/Tri's/Shoulders = 4 Chest, 2 Tri's, 2 Shoulder exercises - 4-5 sets per exercise - 8-12 reps per set, final set always to muscle failure.
    Tuesday: Heavy Back/Bi's/Traps = 4 Back, 2 Bi's, 2 Traps - 4-5 sets per exercise - 8-12 reps per set, final sets to muscle failure.
    Wednesday: Light Legs = 6 exercises - 4-5 sets per exercise 8-20 reps per set, final set to muscle failure.
    Thursday: Heavy Chest/Tri's/Shoulders = Same as Monday just different exercises and weights
    Friday: Light Back/Bi's/Traps = Same as Tuesday just different exercises and weights
    Saturday: Heavy Legs = Same as Saturday just different exercises and weights
    Sunday: OFF
    And yes I fully agree with you, I train with the utmost intensity and my legs are generally sore up to and including the day that I work legs again. I've been here before, I took legs out for Wednesday and only did them on Saturday, with the results being legs started lagging behind upper body. I need some advise on what to do about this.
    Last edited by Donman1001; 10-13-2011 at 12:08 AM.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    You need to put in another 3 rest days min imo. Way too much.

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    It's hard for us to believe that sometimes less is better, and this applies to lifting in some circumstances. As you know, our bodies need rest to recover from the strain we put on it during lifting. I can't say that you are overtraining per se... only you could make that judgement, but I do think you aren't getting enough rest. At the very least, I'd recommend a day break on your 'thursday'. then start friday chest again. As for your program though, I'm not a fan of scheduled light days honestly. That's not to say I don't have light days, but I do them based on when my body tells me that I need them.

Good point about the non scheduled light days.

I think it's ok if u overtrain for a while then when u feel ur body is screaming for help (joint pain,fatigue,loss of interest in training.....) back of and include more rest days.
    There's no such thing as over training just under feeding and under resting!!!

devildog1967 is offline Associate Member
    You dont grow while in the gym . The body needs rest to heal ..4 days training 3 off .

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    I have never under stood the concept of "light days" when it comes to intensity. If you are going to train a body part then train it hard. If it's not ready to be trained again training it "light" serves no purpose.

Would this statement still be true if I get plenty of rest? I honestly get around 10 hrs of sleep a night and I always feel great when I workout, no pain or soreness and I always push myself to full muscle fatigue.

I also took wednesday legs day out, so I rest wednesday/sunday. And as I said farther down my light days are circuit days. Also I plan on reworking my split in 2 weeks anyone have suggestions? looking for 1 body part a day now.

DaGunz is offline Junior Member
    Mon: Chest
    Tues: Back
    Wed: Legs
    Thurs: Shoulders
    Friday: Arms
    Sat: Off
    Sun: Off

or

Wed: Shoulders
    Thurs: Legs
    Sat: Off
    (which is what I do because working shoulders on the same day I practice Chi Sao is just too much.)

or (if you want Wednesday off)

Wed: Off
    Thurs: Shoulders
    Sat: Legs

Choose your abs day/days. I work mine light every workout. Others work theirs' heavy once a week.
    Last edited by DaGunz; 10-17-2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: forgot about abs

DaGunz is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    If you are going to train a body part then train it hard. If it's not ready to be trained again training it "light" serves no purpose.
    I agree. Besides, if you are doing compound movements, it's like having light days for the muscles that aren't targeted.

JohnnyB11 is offline New Member
    My training schedule goes in a 3 days on, 1 day off pattern. For example:

Monday - Chest/tris
    Tuesday - Shoulders/legs
    Wednesday - Back/biceps
    Thursday - Off
    Friday - Chest/tris
    Saturday - shoulders/legs
    Sunday - back/biceps

Repeat.

I find that since my diet is proper and my sleep is sufficient, I am able to do for example chest/tris on monday and then again on friday with no problem.
    I like to get each muscle group done twice a week. When I start my workout i am 100% FULLY repaired to a tee or else I wouldn't do the workout and take another rest day instead.

Thread Information