Bobbo is offline Junior Member

How much Protein after a Full Body Workout

Hey there,

I do a full body workout 3 days a week. After workout I have a Protein drink (15g Protein) and another 19 grams of protein in a no carb/no fat bread my wife makes. That's 34g Protein. Is that a good amount for after a hard workout? Should I have more/less protein. I've read if you intake more than 30g of protein at a time your body can NOT use, whatever amount over 30g, for muscle. Is this true?

Thanx,

Bobbo

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    How much protein you can absorb is up to your body. Nobody is the same, bu afte a workout I'd shoot for around 40-60 grams of protein.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    I wouldn't count the carbs you get from that bread, the good aminos are probably killed from the high heat of baking. And yes Tex is on point with his answer, it depends on how much your body will absorb everyone is different. I usually try to get 30-40g fast absorb protein right after the workout and then 1 hour later another 30g of slow "real" food protein.

Pain

Hey there,

Thanks for the advice!

Pain,

When you say;

"1 hour later another 30g of slow "real" food protein."

Do mean, Eggs and chciken?

Thanks,

Bobbo

Yup.

Pain

superjew is offline Associate Member
    Yeah, I'd definitely up the protein some Bobbo. I would try to take in between 40-60 grams. I personally have a 55 gram protein shake as soon as I get home from the gym, along with some good carbs.

Sorry I just looked and I said I wouldn't count the carbs from the bread I meant protein. Sorry, I am sure you know what I meant because I then talked about aminos....

Pain

Pain,

I did missed that. Why wouldn't you count the protein from bread? I have been taking a supplement drink (15g protein) post-workouit along with that bread, which has 12g protein per serving, no fat, and no sugar, low carbs, only fiber.

Bobbo

Mainly because I am pretty sure that the ingreadiants list has soy or wheat protein being the main ingrediants for protein, Not very good sources of protein esp post workout. Also heat kills protein in the form of powders and also meat (sorry for all you bro's that like well done meat)

Pain

Assassinator is offline Associate Member
    After a workout, i take in about 40 grams, and then 2 hours after that, like another 20. before bed, i workout in the evening.

HorseFace is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by painintheazz
    Mainly because I am pretty sure that the ingreadiants list has soy or wheat <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> being the main ingrediants for <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a>, Not very good sources of <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> esp post workout. Also heat kills <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> in the form of powders and also meat (sorry for all you bro's that like well done meat)

Pain
    interesting... i guess Ill be eating my chicken raw from now on lol

Actually in that same article it said that raw protein isn't as good either, I forget the reason of why but it said the best forms will come medium rare.

Pain

HorseFace is offline Junior Member
    good to know, thanks pain

built4life is offline Junior Member
    big texan is right, everybodys body is different. more protein than usual wont kill you. i say shoot for about .4 grams of protein per pound of body weight after a workout. you may not have that great of a social life but you reap great benifits and at least you'll know your not skimping. about how much your body will absorb is all scientific bullshit. you think that you body says screw it after 30 grams of protein. im sure it doesnt absorb as fast depending on the type of protein you consume after a certain amount but it is always being digested. you just cant put a stop on digestion. look at it logically. if you eat a whole bunch of fat you just dont quit getting fat after so much, you dont absorb it as fast. same goes with protein, its going to be pretty hard to saturate you muscle when you body is always looking for calories for fuel mo matter whether you fat or not.

Thread Information