Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries

**The Exercise Clinic**

Have a lagging body part?

Unsure how to set up a programme?

Or just plain clueless about the whole thing?

Post your Q's up and i'll have you on your way to glory in no time!!

(Purely for exercise only, no AAS q's please).

i will point out that advice given is within my experiences in 20yrs of training, i dont google and copy and paste. also if im stumped by a particular case i will say so rather than offer up 'guess advice' to make myself look good
    Last edited by dec11; 10-25-2011 at 02:32 PM.

"Maximus" is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm having difficulty growing my calves man.. I'm not sure if this is due to my strict cardio sessions but they are impervious to any growth of any kind.. I'm suffering from "skinny leg" syndrome; frustrating.. What should I attempt to do differently?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by "Maximus" View Post
    I'm having difficulty growing my calves man.. I'm not sure if this is due to my strict cardio sessions but they are impervious to any growth of any kind.. I'm suffering from "skinny leg" syndrome; frustrating.. What should I attempt to do differently?
    calves are often a sticking point for many, as they get constant use from walking, they're harder to rest and grow.

try hitting them with lighter weight/ higher reps, many report good effect from this.

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100

Legs

I have a back injury that keeps me from doing squats as they compress my spine. I tried squatting a few weeks ago, and it felt like someone was sticking needles in my fingertips after every set. My fingers were slightly numb for a few days after. Heavy leg presses also cause discomfort, maybe because my BP spikes? Even lunges hurt because I am still holding weight that compresses my spine. What can I do other than leg extensions, leg curls and seated calf presses for my legs? They are lagging.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    I have a back injury that keeps me from doing squats as they compress my spine. I tried squatting a few weeks ago, and it felt like someone was sticking needles in my fingertips after every set. My fingers were slightly numb for a few days after. Heavy leg presses also cause discomfort, maybe because my BP spikes? Even lunges hurt because I am still holding weight that compresses my spine. What can I do other than leg extensions, leg curls and seated calf presses for my legs? They are lagging.
    1) try doing single leg presses, puts a less overall strain on the lower back, keep them light to start and feel your way in.

2) try front squats, again start off lightly if unfamiliar.

3) you dont need to bang on the weight for hypertrophy from squatting, try cutting down to 75% of your max weight and hitting the 15-20rep range

4) you have to be sensible about it, if you still feel pain in the lower back then resign squatting and leg presses to the bin. Can you elaborate on the back injury please?
    Last edited by dec11; 10-24-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    1) try doing single leg presses, puts a less overall strain on the lower back, keep them light to start and feel your way in.

2) try front squats, again start off lightly if unfamiliar.

3) you dont need to bang on the weight for hypertrophy from squatting, try cutting down to 75% of your max weight and hitting the 15-20rep range

4) you have to be sensible about it, if you still feel pain in the lower back then resign squatting and leg presses to the bin. Can you elaborate on the back injury please?
    I never though about doing single leg presses. It cuts the weight in half. Duh.

I started light with the squats. I am sure I was at 75% or less of max when I experimented, so you are right that they might just be out. I figured I would try them every six months to see if there is a change. That is what I did with lifting in general for six years (longer maybe) before I got back to the gym last December.

Back injury is one extruded disk (don't remember location) and three bulging disks. The injury presented itself as hip pain for months before my lower back started aching. Then one day I leaned backwards and it felt like my back exploded. I could barely move for months and was on 800mg of Advil several times a day. Spinal decompression therapy brought back my functionality, but I still need to be careful and still get hip pain on occasion, which lets me know I need to back off the intensity. It doesn't just happen with leg exercises. All shoulder exercises can cause discomfort but I work through it. Sometimes curls (which compress the spine and pull me forward) can be a problem as well. But legs are much heavier loads, and I haven't found work-arounds for them other than only doing leg extensions and curls.

Blog Entries
    I never though about doing single leg presses. It cuts the weight in half. Duh.

I started light with the squats. I am sure I was at 75% or less of max when I experimented, so you are right that they might just be out. I figured I would try them every six months to see if there is a change. That is what I did with lifting in general for six years (longer maybe) before I got back to the gym last December.

Back injury is one extruded disk (don't remember location) and three bulging disks. The injury presented itself as hip pain for months before my lower back started aching. Then one day I leaned backwards and it felt like my back exploded. I could barely move for months and was on 800mg of Advil several times a day. Spinal decompression therapy brought back my functionality, but I still need to be careful and still get hip pain on occasion, which lets me know I need to back off the intensity. It doesn't just happen with leg exercises. All shoulder exercises can cause discomfort but I work through it. Sometimes curls (which compress the spine and pull me forward) can be a problem as well. But legs are much heavier loads, and I haven't found work-arounds for them other than only doing leg extensions and curls.
    that is a serious condition and would be out of my scope of knowledge mate. have you been given any indication as to when, if ever, you can start strengthening your back again?

when doing shoulder and bi exercises, try doing them seated and hold your abs tight and planting your feet into the floor to take any pressure off the back, if necessary lower weights and concentrate all the tension on the working muscles
    Last edited by dec11; 10-24-2011 at 01:31 PM.

Yeah, my injury was pretty severe. I am afraid I will eventually need surgery, but will put it off as long as possible as they make advancements ever year.

I have no problems with upper back exercises, and do medium weight seated rows with a stretch at the bottom so my lower back gets hit as I pull back.

I will start to do my shoulder exercises seated. Not sure how to replace standing barbel curls since I already also do seated dumbbell curls.

I know my injury sounds awful, but I have found workarounds for most things and have been making great gains. My gains have been good enough that I can notice that my legs are lagging.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, my injury was pretty severe. I am afraid I will eventually need surgery, but will put it off as long as possible as they make advancements ever year.

I have no problems with upper back exercises, and do medium weight seated rows with a stretch at the bottom so my lower back gets hit as I pull back.

I will start to do my shoulder exercises seated. Not sure how to replace standing barbel curls since I already also do seated dumbbell curls.

I know my injury sounds awful, but I have found workarounds for most things and have been making great gains. My gains have been good enough that I can notice that my legs are lagging.
    these are basically the same exercise, only real diff is altering the angle with seated, so you wont be missing out.

Blog Entries
    awsome thread idea dec, love it...

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    I hope as many members as possible take advantage of this, great job dec...
    Do not ask me for a source check.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Build the perfect peak if possible..

I'm 210 `14-16% bf
    advanced training, statics, compounds... 5x5, drop sets... 50 rep sets you name it...

I can cause a marginal site specific growth of the "peak" on my bi using IGF LR3, but my tri's normally give me the size that i have..

any advice..?? i know it's genetics, but ya just never know..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard View Post
    Build the perfect peak if possible..

I'm 210 `14-16% bf
    advanced training, statics, compounds... 5x5, drop sets... 50 rep sets you name it...

I can cause a marginal site specific growth of the "peak" on my bi using IGF LR3, but my tri's normally give me the size that i have..

any advice..?? i know it's genetics, but ya just never know..
    tri's are always going to be the 'big' part of the arm. true, genetics/drug/oil usage have a big bearing on bi peaks. ive made progress with standing concentration curls and close grip ez curls in the 15-20rep ranges and really wring the muscle out at the top, but id suspect you've already have had tried those.
    a lower bf will also accentuate peaks
    Last edited by dec11; 10-24-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoboyd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I hope as many members as possible take advantage of this, great job dec...
    no prob, will give me something productive to do while waiting on fulltime work

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Great idea Dec! If I hadn't asked you tons of questions already I would have tons to ask. Might come up with some more anyway since all of this is a work in progress with a learning curve.

THANKS!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    Great idea Dec! If I hadn't asked you tons of questions already I would have tons to ask. Might come up with some more anyway since all of this is a work in progress with a learning curve.

THANKS!
    no prob slim, fire away and if can help you i certainly will

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Allright bro. I need a change on my routine. I am hitting one body part a day.. varies, but it can be:

Mon - arms
    Tue - Legs
    Wed - off
    Thu -shoulders/abs
    Fri- back/deads
    Sat - chest
    Sun - off

I am ready for a change up. i tried doing two body parts in one workout and it just didn't seem to stimulate much. Not sure if it was mindset, but the second I went back to one day a body part.. my strength and lifts went back up quick. Seems like too much to do 2 groups in one day. I can't hit as hard.

Anyhow, I need a change up. What's your thoughts? DC training? 5x5 powerlifter routine? Need some flavor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinred View Post
    Allright bro. I need a change on my routine. I am hitting one body part a day.. varies, but it can be:

Mon - arms
    Tue - Legs
    Wed - off
    Thu -shoulders/abs
    Fri- back/deads
    Sat - chest
    Sun - off

I am ready for a change up. i tried doing two body parts in one workout and it just didn't seem to stimulate much. Not sure if it was mindset, but the second I went back to one day a body part.. my strength and lifts went back up quick. Seems like too much to do 2 groups in one day. I can't hit as hard.

Anyhow, I need a change up. What's your thoughts? DC training? 5x5 powerlifter routine? Need some flavor.
    ive never been a subscriber to DC et al tbh, KISS (keep it simple stupid) is my mantra unless training for something specific, ie; a plift meet.

i hear you on going stale from a one group 5 day split, sometimes we need less time in the gym. pairing up is usually done in a familiar format like tri's/bi's back/shoulders etc, and tbh i dont get stimulated very well off it either and particularly less with arms.

i had alot of success with this grouping on a three day split over the summer and grew very well off it:

mon back/traps/bi's (deads every 2wks)

wed legs/abs

fri chest/shoulders/tri's (your weight will be lower on shoulders but i get one hell of a pump after having done my chest)

obviously, work the big groups first
    Last edited by dec11; 10-24-2011 at 06:02 PM.

TRAINING 101.....

Could you list out the big groups leading to the smallest please? thanks
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Blog Entries
    TRAINING 101.....

Could you list out the big groups leading to the smallest please? thanks
    just specifically the muscle groups or the corresponding exercises to them also?

For now just the muscle groups....please
    Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoboyd View Post
    Thanks for the insight brotha'.

Blog Entries
    For now just the muscle groups....please
    legs
    glutes
    quads
    hams
    calves

upper body

lats
    pecs
    delts
    traps
    abs

arms

tri's
    bi's
    singular forearm groups

thats a basic guide, to go into grouping detail detail would take all night and day and to go from the largest in the body to the smallest in correct descending order is well beyond my scope lol. the largest is glutes and smallest is one in the neck or ear iirc.
    Last edited by dec11; 10-24-2011 at 06:35 PM.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    true, doing a cylcle in the bi will do it.. i'm at the magical 18".. but "Look" bigger at 17" due to lower bf.. I'm 11% at 203..

the best i've found to cause any real movement in growth if stalled is to do straight sets x5 then 2 sets of drop sets in the 24 rep range..

what that does is allow for max fatigue shock to the muscle, them pumps it full at the end..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

thanks Dec. Now I have something very specific and concrete and I know you gave me all if this before but this list is real clear .....appreciate it.
    Author Unknown

Blog Entries
    thanks Dec. Now I have something very specific and concrete and I know you gave me all if this before but this list is real clear .....appreciate it.
    no prob

Blaz Kavlic is offline Associate Member
    Great thread Dec. I'm looking for some more exercises to build traps and mix it up a lil'. I'm currently doing upright barbell rows, dbell shrugs, and seated vertical dbell presses. Any other affective suggestions? Also which day would you recommend is best to train traps - back day or shoulders day?

CertifiedOne is offline New Member
    What's the best chest workout? I've been doing the following once a week with not much result:

Incline Dumbell Press: 3x15
    Dumbell Flyes: 3x15
    Flat Barbell Benchpress: 3x15

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaz Kavlic View Post
    Great thread Dec. I'm looking for some more exercises to build traps and mix it up a lil'. I'm currently doing upright barbell rows, dbell shrugs, and seated vertical dbell presses. Any other affective suggestions? Also which day would you recommend is best to train traps - back day or shoulders day?
    ah, one of my favourite muscle groups! my traps are something i always get comments about and ppl ask me what i do for them, alot.

they are and you may be surprised at: 3x12 maximal heavy shrugs, that is all the direct work i do for them these days and have done for the past 4yrs, and its straight up and down with no rotation, slow and strict form with a pause at the top of the movement. some may argue, but deadlifts will play a part in building thick strong traps also. i've always trained traps on back days.

try this for 6wks or so and see if you get results, some muscle groups dont respond to alot of volume and you may be hitting them with too much.

good luck, and let me know how you get on with this, the feedback could help others mate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CertifiedOne View Post
    What's the best chest workout? I've been doing the following once a week with not much result:

Incline Dumbell Press: 3x15
    Dumbell Flyes: 3x15
    Flat Barbell Benchpress: 3x15
    you want to be really feeling the last 3 reps on the 1st two exercises, but with good form. and rem you're diet is the key to growth mate, the weights are the easy part

incline dbell press 3x10 (warm up with afew light gradual sets before hand)
    decline dbell press 3x10 (straight into working sets)
    dbell flyes 3x15 (do not go heavy on these, just enough to feel a pump on the last 5 reps)

Just an update: did quads last night with some success. Did leg extensions (never a problem) and switched to one-legged presses WITH VERY LITTLE BACK DISCOMFORT. Good to go. Next week I will add the front squats and see how it goes.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Just an update: did quads last night with some success. Did leg extensions (never a problem) and switched to one-legged presses WITH VERY LITTLE BACK DISCOMFORT. Good to go. Next week I will add the front squats and see how it goes.

Thanks.
    yeah, one legged presses are def easier on the back. good job and keep me posted

DanB is offline Banned
    critique leg workout please

squat ( heavy low reps ) alot of warm up sets 10 reps increase weight then 8 increase weight etc then 2 or 3 sets of heavy low reps
    front squat ( moderately heavy 8 - 10 reps ) 3 sets
    leg press or hack squat machine ( moderately heavy 8 - 10 reps ) 3 sets
    leg extension or lunge ( moderately heavy 8 - 10 reps ) 3 working sets
    hamstring curl machine ( medium weight 10 - 12 reps ) 3 working sets
    single leg standing calf raises ( medium weight 10 - 12 reps ) 4 sets
    calf raise machine (heavy lows reps to failure ) 2 sets

DanB is offline Banned
    also deads are not forgotten they done with back

testchef is offline Associate Member
    hey dec ive been training now for about 6 months with the same routine
    i usually do 10,8,fail routine with weight getting heavier if im having a good day il throw in another set to fail. always trying to lift as big as possible while keeping technique correct and like to hit hard and not fook bout in and out

mon
    chest abbs
    declined bb press
    inclined db press
    flat flys
    leg raises
    declined crunches

tues
    biceps
    bb preacher curl
    bb 21S * 3 sets
    one arm cable curl
    standing db curl

wed
    shoulders abbs
    db shoulder press
    upright row close grip and wide grip
    not sure name but on cable machine side way lifts 3 sets cable across belly 3 sets cable across back
    bb shoulder press
    leg raises and declined crunches

thurs tri
    tricep cable dip
    backwards extensions
    over head tri cable extensions

friday back
    dead lifts
    one arm upright rows
    seating wide grip rows
    lat pull down wide grip
    lat pull close grip

not doing legs at the moment due to tendon damage in my knees strugling alittle with dead lifts but i do them stiff legged
    now ive always heard you should mix up ur routine but its worked pretty well for me up until now
    what could i change and why would it be benificial

thanks alot

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    critique leg workout please

squat ( heavy low reps ) alot of warm up sets 10 reps increase weight then 8 increase weight etc then 2 or 3 sets of heavy low reps
    front squat ( moderately heavy 8 - 10 reps ) 3 sets
    leg press or hack squat machine ( moderately heavy 8 - 10 reps ) 3 sets
    leg extension or lunge ( moderately heavy 8 - 10 reps ) 3 working sets
    hamstring curl machine ( medium weight 10 - 12 reps ) 3 working sets
    single leg standing calf raises ( medium weight 10 - 12 reps ) 4 sets
    calf raise machine (heavy lows reps to failure ) 2 sets
    alternate front squats with conventional week by week

do the leg press heavy as you can go for those 3 sets

no need for seated and standing calves, alternate like squats above

if you want size and strength put your low reps into either leg press or squat and your higher reps into the other and change it around every month or so.

you were doing a tad too much for my liking in the one leg session but alternating those which ive mentioned will whittle it down a bit for you

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    also deads are not forgotten they done with back
    always hit these hard and heavy and only every 2wks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by testchef View Post
    hey dec ive been training now for about 6 months with the same routine
    i usually do 10,8,fail routine with weight getting heavier if im having a good day il throw in another set to fail. always trying to lift as big as possible while keeping technique correct and like to hit hard and not fook bout in and out

mon
    chest abbs
    declined bb press
    inclined db press
    flat flys
    leg raises
    declined crunches

tues
    biceps
    bb preacher curl
    bb 21S * 3 sets
    one arm cable curl
    standing db curl

wed
    shoulders abbs
    db shoulder press
    upright row close grip and wide grip
    not sure name but on cable machine side way lifts 3 sets cable across belly 3 sets cable across back
    bb shoulder press
    leg raises and declined crunches

thurs tri
    tricep cable dip
    backwards extensions
    over head tri cable extensions

friday back
    dead lifts
    one arm upright rows
    seating wide grip rows
    lat pull down wide grip
    lat pull close grip

not doing legs at the moment due to tendon damage in my knees strugling alittle with dead lifts but i do them stiff legged
    now ive always heard you should mix up ur routine but its worked pretty well for me up until now
    what could i change and why would it be benificial

thanks alot
    if you've been doing this consistently for this period of time then first thing in order would be a week off, then come back with this for 6wks and then back to your original prog. only two sets for small assistant groups, and warm up to three working sets for the compound groups:

mon incline dbell press
    decline dbell press
    shoulder press
    tri extension
    lateral and front shoulder raises (superset)
    tri single hand extensions (2 sets overhand, 2 sets underhand)

wed abs (3 different exercise to cover all angles, your choice)

fri lat pulldown
    low row
    standing dbell curls
    trap shrugs (up and down movement, no rotation)
    stiff leg deads
    standing concentration curls
    dbell hammer curls

i trained not dissimilar to your original prog and also cant do legs at the moment due to breaking toes. i implicated this prog around 7 weeks ago and im growing nicely off it whilst allowing more recovery time.
    listen to your body, it is most likely telling you it needs a break at the moment, come back after a week and shock it with the diff prog then another week off and back to original and so on.
    another tip is to gauge how you feel by session by session, if feeling good hit it hard, if not then go light or skip that session altogether. ive never ever followed a note book, always by how i feel on the day. good luck
    Last edited by dec11; 10-25-2011 at 02:36 PM.

DanB is offline Banned
    thanks I thought it might of been a bit much and now i have confirmation a friend(polish) put me on it a few months ago got some good gains but its seriously hard work to finish. why deads every 2?because they work so many muscles or?ive been doing 6 - 8 reps 4 sets on deads do you think then id be better going max weight 3 - 4 reps every other week? if so would i increase or decrease sets also?

DanB is offline Banned
    also would you alternate leg press with hack squat or just stick to leg press?

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information