testchef is offline Associate Member

cardio for cutting

im currently on a cutting cycle and also trying to shift a bit of water retention from around my stomach:
    i currently have tendonitus on my right knee. aparently its something to do with not wearing supporting footwear whilst running etc
    im looking for ideas into what i could incorporate as joggging , running and cross trainer are all out of use for me at the moment.
    i do go walking morning before breakfast for about 45 mins and half hour at night before bed my other time is between 3-5 where i can train and go to gym.

thanks

Blaz Kavlic is offline Associate Member
    I've just had surgery to repair a meniscal tear in my right knee and am in the same predictament. I used to run about 4-5 miles 4x a week but thats shot now. To subsitute, i'm doing less intense cardio such as cycling and swimming which are both easier on the knees. I dont find walking all that fulfilling but cycling isnt too bad if you have some resistance like riding up hills. You could always try some stationary exercises like kettle bell swings, burpees etc if that floats your boat.

If anyone else has any ideas, please chime in.
    Last edited by Blaz Kavlic; 10-25-2011 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaz Kavlic View Post
    I've just had surgery to repair a meniscal tear in my right knee and am in the same predictament. I used to run about 4-5 miles 4x a week but thats shot now. To subsitute, i'm doing less intense cardio such as cycling and swimming which are both easier on the knees. I dont find walking all that fulfilling but cycling isnt too bad if you have some resistance like riding up hills. You could always try some stationary exercises like kettle bell swings, burpees etc if that floats your boat.

If anyone else has any ideas, please chime in.
    yea walking is not fulfilling atall
    ive had some decent insoles made now which seem to be easing the pressure but still very tender and stiff
    cycling would you do for longer at a reasonable pace or go for it over a shorter time ( more time less intense or less tyime more intense) ??

boxa06 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by testchef View Post
    yea walking is not fulfilling atall
    ive had some decent insoles made now which seem to be easing the pressure but still very tender and stiff
    cycling would you do for longer at a reasonable pace or go for it over a shorter time ( more time less intense or less tyime more intense) ??
    You can make walking more challenging by increasing the incline on a treadmill. Otherwise as blaz said bike is a good option. Hiit on a bike would be a good workout otherwise you could just cruise in your fat burning zone.

Blaz Kavlic is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by testchef View Post
    It depends what you want to do while on cycle. If you're currently doing a cutting cycle and your diet and lifting are spot on, i'd just go with some mild bike work in the vicinity of 45mins a session 3-4 times per week. Nothing too excessive, but just enough to help you shed a few more % body fat.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaz Kavlic View Post
    It depends what you want to do while on cycle. If you're currently doing a cutting cycle and your diet and lifting are spot on, i'd just go with some mild bike work in the vicinity of 45mins a session 3-4 times per week. Nothing too excessive, but just enough to help you shed a few more % body fat.
    ^^^x2. mix it up with your 45min walk sessions

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The only other thing that is low impact is a elliptical. If it has a heart rate monitor you can elevate it to an optimum burning state and hopefully not feel anything on the knee. This might give you the time needed to heal. If you are on the gear... are you able to do legs?

Quote Originally Posted by rockinred View Post
    The only other thing that is low impact is a elliptical. If it has a heart rate monitor you can elevate it to an optimum burning state and hopefully not feel anything on the knee. This might give you the time needed to heal. If you are on the gear... are you able to do legs?
    no cantr train my legs at moment even light weights will annoy the tendons and cause discomfort

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    ^^^x2. mix it up with your 45min walk sessions
    sweet thanks guys

Thread Information