Thread: Wrist Wraps

pikenat is offline Associate Member

Wrist Wraps

*Meant wrist straps

Is it worth using them to put some extra poundage on the bar during deadlifts, or should you stick without them to let your arms (forearms) get a good blast as well?

FONZY007 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pikenat
    *Meant wrist straps

Is it worth using them to put some extra poundage on the bar during deadlifts, or should you stick without them to let your arms (forearms) get a good blast as well?
    My forearms are huge, ppl say it's from the wraps or straps!!

lmmalone is offline Junior Member
    My grip keeps up moderately well with my back when I do my deadlifts, so I don't use em. I love the way my forearms feel after a good back day. If your grip is significantly weaker than what you're capable of lifting then I would recommend the straps. Otherwise avoid em. Gotta keep those forearms nice and strong

tall76 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I'll do most of my pulling without them- but maybe one set (the heaviest) of each exercise I'll use them. It helps bc you don't even have to think about ur grip and focus on pulling with ur back muscles

mirin_serratus is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FONZY007 View Post
    My forearms are huge, ppl say it's from the wraps or straps!!
    i'm guessing those people don't lift...

use them if you really need them to hit a max, although chalk is probably better
    otherwise don't cuz it's one of the best workouts for your forearms

Quote Originally Posted by mirin_serratus
    i'm guessing those people don't lift...

use them if you really need them to hit a max, although chalk is probably better
    otherwise don't cuz it's one of the best workouts for your forearms
    My new gym doesn't allow chalk and just joined cause my last gym only had dumbbells only up to 90lbs. At least this one goes up to 150 in dumbbells and has every amenity possible it just cost $70 a month instead if $10. F-kin-a

barakelium is offline New Member
    thats an expensive membership lol... use the straps once your forearms are blown out. literally ill get to a point where i cannot tie my shoes or rotate my forearm to scratch my face... dont go there... thats what happens when you forget straps and go heavy

stpete is offline Banned
    I just work forearms separately. I've always used straps and take advantage of being able to pull extra lbs. that without them wouldn't be possible.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Quote Originally Posted by stpete View Post
    I just work forearms separately. I've always used straps and take advantage of being able to pull extra lbs. that without them wouldn't be possible.
    Same here

OriginalShovelhead79 is offline Junior Member
    I use straps and get compliments on my fore arms often.

OriginalShovelhead79 is offline Junior Member
    Nice profile pic Marcus. Up till a few years ago, I had original death head and war eagle on the original piece of paper they were pinned to when handed out to the troops

tcw
    tcw is offline Senior Member
    Yeah....use straps. You be able to lift heavier and won't have to focus on your grip. Train forearms separately.

Jada34 is offline New Member
    I use wraps my entire back workout, and still have people asking me what I do for forearms (which is nothing). I dead without them though, usually a few sets of 405. That gives me a pretty good forearm workout. No need to do exercises just for forearms bc think about it, expect chest, forearms get used every other body part.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If you can't use chalk then straps for sure. Even a combination of chalk and straps. I was deadlifting 315 the other day and didn't have any chalk or straps. The bar was slipping and I was barely getting warmed up at 4 reps (normal is 10 with chalk or strap). Pissed me off bad. So yes, use straps/chalk and you will get much better results. Also, I always try to turn people on to Versa Grips. Those are bad ass and blow away regular straps imo.

Rye_guy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tall76 View Post
    I'll do most of my pulling without them- but maybe one set (the heaviest) of each exercise I'll use them. It helps bc you don't even have to think about ur grip and focus on pulling with ur back muscles
    agreed.. this is how I do it. my back however, can handle more weight than my forearms...

Awesome_Archy is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinred View Post
    If you can't use chalk then straps for sure. Even a combination of chalk and straps. I was deadlifting 315 the other day and didn't have any chalk or straps. The bar was slipping and I was barely getting warmed up at 4 reps (normal is 10 with chalk or strap). Pissed me off bad. So yes, use straps/chalk and you will get much better results. Also, I always try to turn people on to Versa Grips. Those are bad ass and blow away regular straps imo.
    Just watched 10+ vids on Versa Grips and they look amazingly fast compared to straps. I can't wait to get a pair and put em to use.

ZZ13 is offline New Member
    I do everything I can without them but once the weight gets to be more than my grip will allow I break out the straps so that I can lift till fail. Although sometimes I feel like I'm going to rip my hands off LOL

Am I an idiot or does it seem way harder to lift heavy deadlifts with wraps than using alternating grip for that heavy set. I bought a pair and haven't used them since the first time. The wrapping made the bar much thicker and harder to grip.

Misery13 is offline Not Here
    I use wrist wraps and lifting straps on my heaviest sets only. I train my forearms separately.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    I prefer hooks, easier/faster to deploy..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

PumpMasterFlex is offline Junior Member
    Hooks are the way to go for deadlifts. For everything else I can go without straps. I still make sure to spend some time doing forearms on their own though.

pregan is offline New Member
    I'm going to give them a try next week. Maybe it's my old age but I'm getting to the point where I feel the bar slipping from my grip but can still lift more weight. Feels like I'm cutting it short so we'll see. Good info, thanks.

West Coast Winner is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stpete
    Ya I can throw on a shitload more with straps

>Good Luck< is offline Productive Member
    Just got some straps too! Their OK but it's really different. I feel like it changes the workout a bit

Use perfect technique then or your to nooby to even be on tthis fourm

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Winner
    Use perfect technique then or your to nooby to even be on tthis fourm
    Easy there tiger, it's a matter of opinion. And at 5'10" 155 u sound pretty new to me too. And your already experienced with cycles? I have a hard time believing your have much more experience than me, let alone the experience or knowledge to make such an a-hole comment like that. It's ok tho, I won't make a rude comment suggesting you don't belong on this site. That would be immature. I would suggest you read on the effects of aas on people as young as you with your undeveloped nuts. You belong here you need this site.

If you don't want opinions, don't make a thread on the internet, where people gather to share opinions and talk freely for everyone to see and comment on. Maybe write in your diary about your straps. Lastly,

End rant!

EDIT: sorry to the op, this rant is or west coast winner, not for you. Thanks for a good thread topic but this guys a dildo, and I thought it was his thread.
    Last edited by >Good Luck<; 04-26-2012 at 06:16 AM.

In otherwords.... I really reccomend the wrist wraps. I had a sergury 19 months ago on my scafoid, these due to my sergury I lost a lot of grip in my right hand. These straps force me to have better grip, and a much better stretchs/contractions (especially on back days). What brand did.you get?

And I'm nice and healthy man.. my testes are nice and healthy, full, manly, hairy, and sweaty to ease your concern that I could have hurt.myself. luckily Iv only taken oral dbol in my experience and pinned some Decca only one ttime. Ill tell you what tho. That Decca made my joints feel amazing for a dam year!

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Winner
    And I'm nice and healthy man.. my testes are nice and healthy, full, manly, hairy, and sweaty to ease your concern that I could have hurt.myself. luckily Iv only taken oral dbol in my experience and pinned some Decca only one ttime. Ill tell you what tho. That Decca made my joints feel amazing for a dam year!
    Good to know... Do some research tho. Deca is horrible for shutting u down, and dbol the same. Both should be combined with test to compensate for the loss of natural test, regardless of age(not to negate the fact that steroid use before 25 is terrible, and can cause permanent damage to your endo system), height, weight size of nuts etc... But hey, atleast the one shot u did somehow lubed u up

Thread Information