oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member

Once and for all - train abs for fat loss, (spot training) or not?

I am not training abs over the last 6 months, because under an inch of fat I can feel that I have excellent, hard ab muscles. I am following the advice that "seeing" them requires proper diet and cardio. I'm guessing I'm at about 12-14% BF. I can see evidence of all my abs in the mirror, and the bottom of my ribs are prominent.
    I do not want to put any more size on my abs, because I'd like to get my waistline as trim as possible. I also feel that with the other 5 days of exercise I do per week, I get plenty of core conditioning, even if I'm not directly stimulating them.
    Then, I heard (yet again) that I need to be training abs to encourage fat loss in the region. (?)

I work my chest hard each week, and still have some fat there I'd like to lose as well, so I don't feel like I'm losing more fat than I would not training them. I say that because my chest is part of my torso, which is where I want to lean up. The rest of me looks good.
    Any new opinions on this??

DeadlyD is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69
    I am not training abs over the last 6 months, because under an inch of fat I can feel that I have excellent, hard ab muscles. I am following the advice that "seeing" them requires proper diet and cardio. I'm guessing I'm at about 12-14% BF. I can see evidence of all my abs in the mirror, and the bottom of my ribs are prominent.
    I do not want to put any more size on my abs, because I'd like to get my waistline as trim as possible. I also feel that with the other 5 days of exercise I do per week, I get plenty of core conditioning, even if I'm not directly stimulating them.
    Then, I heard (yet again) that I need to be training abs to encourage fat loss in the region. (?)

I work my chest hard each week, and still have some fat there I'd like to lose as well, so I don't feel like I'm losing more fat than I would not training them. I say that because my chest is part of my torso, which is where I want to lean up. The rest of me looks good.
    Any new opinions on this??
    I don't think its possible to spot train for fat loss, id work in abs tho and step up the cardio and maybe more reps less weight?!?

Gsxr84 is offline Junior Member
    i heard rule of thumb for getting the visible abs is 75 % is built in the kitchen. 25% is exercises, making a very noticeable point that is highly diet. The less bodyfat %'s the faster those abs will pop!

TRT2010 is offline Member
    thats what worked for me. Train good in squats and do abs 3-4 times a week with a stellar diet. My fav ab work out is sitting on the lat pull down machine and put you legs on top of the pads and wrap you legs around the cross bar below and do sits up. You can do a variety of differant excersizes in that position. works like a charm, but i agree idk if spot training fat loss works

mirin_serratus is offline Associate Member
    spot reduction - biggest broscience ever invented

tall76 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Don't waste ur time spot training. Do big compound movements and cardio instead. Gotta be in a caloric deficit to lose the fat in btw ur muscle and skin on stomach. Like other said- no such thing as spot reduction. There is absolutely no direct energy pathway between the muscle u may feel burning during an ab exercise and the bodyfat above it.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Here is something Twist wrote. Might give you an idea.

"Heavy deadlifts and squats will work your core much more than abs. Doing straight situps will round your belly and that is not a good thing.

If you do crunches, say on the floor, do them with your feet together but knees pointed outward. This will alleviate the problem of tight hip flexors. Tight hip flexors is what results in a rounded belly appearance.
    My abs are forever ruined from tightened hip flexors."
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    You have to get rid of fat all over your body. Spot training is ridiculous

Damn, I already have the rounded belly thing going on. As a kid and all through High School it seems Sit-ups were the most important exercise to the gym teachers I had. I did millions of them. I can feel huge and well defined abs under my 1/2 inch or so of fat. I'm just getting frustrated trying to show them. I can't eat less than 2K cal/day - I end up sleeping all the time. My diet is spot on. I do 30 min. of interval training daily after heavy weight training. The fat is coming off but so slowly, at this rate it will be another year before I see abs. I don't know how to accelerate the process more than I'm doing.
    I blame a lot of it on being over 40. Things just change at that point that people under 40 simply cannot comprehend...

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    ^^ then perhaps Twist's idea of feet together and knees out will help. When I read this from him it was such a visual detail that I now think of Twist every time I do my crunches.

And those sit-ups. How many of those have I done with my feet locked under a chair? NO MORE!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Well, I certainly don't need any more abs! Mine are already hard and as big as I'd ever want them. I just can't seem to get the fat off to see them.

DeadlyD is offline Anabolic Member
    Cut more carbs, especially on cardio and rest days, save the simple carbs fir lifting days.

MrClean1 is offline New Member
    You want a tight stomach (abs showing) Heavy up on your seat lifts... You will see great progress

Thread Information