Imatk is offline New Member

Rotator Cuff Post Injury Workouts

So I injured my rotator cuff about four months ago and I'm just now getting back to where I can possibly start lifting again.

I was wondering if you guys had any pointers and what to exercises to avoid/do after a rotator cuff injury.

I'm guessing it will mostly involve chest workouts and shoulder workouts, but maybe arm workouts would affect it as well?

Thanks for any insight.

yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Use dumbells man. Also at the bottom make sure to hold the dumbells parallel to you and then twist on the way up so your pinkys are in. This will take a lot of the stress off your shoulder and also give you a better contraction of the pecs.

Whammi is offline Junior Member
    I agree.... use dumbells. Rotator cuffs can be tricky. Not sure the severity of your injury, but mine took over a year to fully heal.

aronjrsmil is offline Associate Member
    Whatever you do...don't do lat pull downs...I would start out with some lighter dumbells for sure.

juicejunky is offline New Member
    i know i was bench pressing a long time ago and as i was pushing up i lifted my head and felt something pop in my neck couldnt turn my head to the left at all until after therapy now my shoulder and shoulder blade always hurt it kind of limits me in the gym but i try to push through it but smartly

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I am interested in this also, I have a moderate tear in my left shoulder (always been able to lift arm over head and do all motions with light weight, it just constantly causes mild pain that comes and goes) and due to work continue to reinjure it every few wks just as its getting better {FVCK!!}

What would you guys reccomend as a way to get back in the gym without reinjuring it as I feel its starting to lag due to lack of workouts.

PS to anyone reading this as well as to the OP there are a series of excersizes done with resistance bands to strenghten the muscles surronding the supraspinatus (the muscle/tendon intesection which is usually torn) to help with healing of the supraspinatus. I have already done these and feel I have hit a plateu with them, to the OP if you have not (done these) then this is usually the first step in phys ther on a shoulder cuff injury.

Hopefully Fireguy or some of the other members with worlds more knowlege than myself on excersizes will give me some ideas on what to do next.

FFM

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    Use dumbells man. Also at the bottom make sure to hold the dumbells parallel to you and then twist on the way up so your pinkys are in. This will take a lot of the stress off your shoulder and also give you a better contraction of the pecs.
    This is interesting and sounds effective (I just tried this movement without any weight sitting in my office chair and the pinky's in does seem to take some of the strain off the shoulders.

Blitz88 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aronjrsmil
    Whatever you do...don't do lat pull downs...I would start out with some lighter dumbells for sure.
    What about pull ups? What exercises do you use in place to target the Lats? Rows?

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    Rotator cuff injuries are nasty. Try to warm up your shoulder with exercises strictly for a rotator cuff to loosen it up a bit. It takes me about ten minutes to get it in the working order each time. I usually still continue do it after every set or so. I stopped benching altogether and use dumbbells for everything. My form had to be drastically adjusted to be able to lift the weight and avoid putting stress on the rotator cuff. Overall, you will need to adapt to the new and creative ways of lifting just like other people to living after a serious injury. You can still grow and continue to run cycles only refrain from maxing out on everything.

stpete is offline Banned
    ^^^^^ That's almost identical to what i was about to say. I haven't touched a BB(except for shrugs and curls) in 4 years. Hammer Machines and DB's. Some old school Nautilus Machines as well. That's all i've used since my injury.

Good Luck

Rwy
    Rwy is offline Productive Member
    I had rotator cuff tendonitis. Took me out of the gym for months.

I went to PT and got exercises off youtube and do them a couple of times a week still

also had chinese body work done on my shoulders and back.Things were a little off but after the massage I had no clicking and felt a lot better

VegasRenegade is offline Finishing Member ~ Transformation Contest!
    Blog Entries
    I tore both RCs and Labrium. Doc said Massive tears. I had surgery last year for the left and the recover was a bitch. I am trying to not have the right one done. Problem is during recover I did nothing to keep myself in shape so now I am looking to get back at it I know i can not do any over head motions and will try using dumbells for bench. I can do shurgs for sholders and very light Laterial raises. Need some more ideas for back chest and shoulders.

Bigdog99 is offline Member
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/583034_f520.jpg

this is what I do about before working out chest/shoulder. My rotator cuffs (both) are really bad from powerlifting for years. Now I have to stay far far away from the bench and use dumbells only. And when I am running gear I add 250 mg DECA per week. That really helps. When on cycle I have no pain at all. When off pain comes back but if I keep up with the streching and stay on the dumbells....I dont lose power and the pain is managable. Just don't try to be a hero and go to heavy. Not saying this is the right thing to do as some are probably say it is doing more harm.....it is what I do and has worked for me over the past 3-4 years.

Thread Information