Thread: 6 pack ?

jamesz123 is offline Associate Member

6 pack ?

How important is it to do stomach exercises for a 6 pack. I keep reading that it is mostly diet and water retention issue.
    how many times a week are stomach exercises a must - I am sure a little is necessary ! Plus any exercises that I have to stay away from ?
    Thx

DanB is offline Banned
    I do very little direct abs work at all, it is worked during other excercises such as squats and deads, all I do is front, side planks and hanging leg raises after my leg workout and I have no need to do any more than this

Yes diet is main factor, low bodyfat is key, you wont see abs at all over 14% b/f unless flexed or first thing in morning

The lower the bodyfat, the more visable they are

Weighted abs excerises may give that bulky kind of look which some people like, some dont

Genetics are also big factor, some people need to do alot more work, others dont

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    I do very little direct abs work at all, it is worked during other excercises such as squats and deads, all I do is front, side planks and hanging leg raises after my leg workout and I have no need to do any more than this

Yes diet is main factor, low bodyfat is key, you wont see abs at all over 14% b/f unless flexed or first thing in morning

The lower the bodyfat, the more visable they are

Weighted abs excerises may give that bulky kind of look which some people like, some dont

Genetics are also big factor, some people need to do alot more work, others dont
    Yeah but I suppose that you need a little ab work so the abs (and all the muscles in that area) are atleast a little 'buffed up' so they are more visible when the bodyfat is low. ....otherwise they will appear just flat !

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    ....and if anybody tells you their abs aren't visible because of water retention? You can laugh at them, it's really called fat retention!

oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member
    I've read that 10% is the magic number for all of it to be clearly visible, is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    ....and if anybody tells you their abs aren't visible because of water retention? You can laugh at them, it's really called fat retention!
    I wiiiilll do that Mr SteM

Julz_W is offline Junior Member
    Diet + genetics imo are the two that help the most.

I've got a mate who does no ab exercises at all and still has a visible 6 pack through being naturally lean and I try and bust my butt doing weighted situps or leg lifts and still am stuck trying to get to where he is.

"Abs are made in the kitchen." -500 calorie deficit in your diet is apparently the best way to bring them out without sacrificing LBM.

Any thoughts on lowering reps and increasing weight to increase the strength and hardness of abs - rather than make them bigger?

Catdad is offline Junior Member
    10% bf is usually the magic number like said above. BUTTTTTT don't let anyone tell you not to train your abs. They are a muscle and can get bigger and stronger. Genetics will play a HUGE part and of
    you're not blessed you need to "diet" and lose the fat around your lower midsection.

My avatar is within the last week or so... I'm guessing about 12% (?) Abs are a natural for me, I don't want them any bigger - I just want to see 'em! I'm wondering if strength training (low reps, heavy) will help to make them harder and stronger - but not bigger.

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69 View Post
    My avatar is within the last week or so... I'm guessing about 12% (?) Abs are a natural for me, I don't want them any bigger - I just want to see 'em! I'm wondering if strength training (low reps, heavy) will help to make them harder and stronger - but not bigger.
    The picture in your avatar is not the best quality but from what it looks like you are higher than 12%. At 12% the upper abs would be clearly defined

Quote Originally Posted by Noles12 View Post
    The picture in your avatar is not the best quality but from what it looks like you are higher than 12%. At 12% the upper abs would be clearly defined
    Ok so usually at what bf % are the lower abs barely visible. Assuming you do not have an unusual amount of fat in that area

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69
    cardio is what will make you able to see them most

30-40 minutes of hard cardio 6 days a week, and diet daily... I'm losing weight, don't seem to be losing muscle, but my GOD is it a tedious process. At this rate, it'll be another year before I lose that last 2%.
    I'm hoping my next lean mass cycle (starting in a week) will help.

prodigious is offline Junior Member
    Abs are made in the kitchen

Conrad0032 is offline New Member
    Abs are mainly diet however I definitely think training them helps a whole lot as well. Also well built abs look a lot better than weak sauce abs that r on some skinny dude. I do abs 3x a week and just do 4-5 sets at the end of my workouts. Works well. Just a suggestion.

Bodybuilding-Student is offline Finishing Member ~ Transformation Contest!
    Abs on a skinny guy are like big tits on a fat woman....they dont count

Quote Originally Posted by bodybuilding-student View Post
    abs on a skinny guy are like big tits on a fat woman....they dont count
    lol!

Thread Information