>Good Luck< is offline Productive Member

S.A.I.S. mass building routine

Hey i found this routine (S.A.I.S mass building) that is supposed to help with gaining mass. i am currently on reg parks beginners 5x5 for about 5 weeks now, and it's not terrible, but it's not great. I feel like i want to isolate a lot more, but still want to continue to gain mass. i am working on the diet as well, but this topic is strickly routine questions. what do you this of this routine for a beginner. please consider that i have some training experience but not to much - and before before i was told to try the 5x5 i was just working out 5-6 days a week (ok even 7 days at times...) for between 1-3 hours per day working one major group per visit. usually a rotation of upper body & lower body day by day.

Monday: Chest, biceps

Bench press (free weights, barbell) 3 sets 6 reps (fast-twitch white muscle fibers)
    Incline press (free weights, barbell) 2 sets 10 reps (intermediate muscle fibers)
    Vertical bench press (machine) 1 set 20 reps (slow-twitch red muscle fibers)
    Barbell curls (shoulder wide grip) 3 sets 6 reps (fast-twitch white muscle fibers)
    Dumbbell curls (seated) 2 sets 10 reps (intermediate muscle fibers)
    EZ-barbell curls (narrow grip) 1 set 20 reps (slow-twitch red muscle fibers)

Tuesday: Legs

Squats (free weights, barbell) 3 sets 6 reps (fast-twitch white muscle fibers)
    Leg press (machine) 2 sets 10 reps (intermediate muscle fibers)
    Hack squats (machine) 1 set 20 reps (slow-twitch muscle fibers)

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Shoulders, triceps

Behind the neck press (free weights, barbell) 3 sets 6 reps (fast-twitch white muscle fibers)
    Standing upright rows (free weights, EZ-barbell) 2 sets 10 reps (intermediate muscle fibers)
    Front overhead press (machine) 1 set 20 reps (slow-twitch red muscle fibers)
    Lying triceps press (free weights, EZ-barbell) 3 sets 6 reps (fast-twitch white muscle fibers)
    Overhead triceps press (free weights, EZ-barbell) 2 sets 10 reps (intermediate muscle fibers)
    Triceps pushdown (machine, cable) 1 set 20 reps (slow-twitch red muscle fibers)

Friday: Back, calves

Front latpulldown (machine, shoulder wide grip) 3 sets 6 reps (fast-twitch white muscle fibers)
    Seated cable rows (machine, narrow grip) 2 sets 10 reps (intermediate muscle fibers)
    Dumbbell rows (one arm at a time) 1 set 20 reps (slow-twitch red muscle fibers)
    Standing calf raises (machine) 3 sets 6 reps (fast-twitch white muscle fibers)
    Seated calf raises (machine) 2 sets 10 reps (intermediate muscle fibers)
    Bend-over calf raises (machine) 1 set 20 reps (slow-twitch red muscle fibers)

Saturday: Off

Sunday: Off

if this routine is sh!t, please tell me why and where i can look for something better... my goal is to gain mass (clean or dirty for now) and strength. i like the pump i used to get before i started this 5x5, and now i barely know i hit the gym... not shrinking tho, so thats good...

thanks for the help in advance...

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    5x5 is a highly misunderstood training regimen, IMO. You can follow a 5x5 training system and still get the pump from your workout as long as you adopt the 5x5 routine only for compound movements targeting the given muscle group, followed by isolation exercises with relatively high reps.

An example would be something like this:

5x5 - Leg Day

Quads:

Smith Machine Squat: 5 sets, 5 reps (with 80% or more of your 1RM)
    Seated Leg Extention: 4 sets, 10-15 reps
    Walking Dumbell Lunges: 2 sets, 30 steps per set

Hams:

Romanian Deadlifts: 5 sets, 5 reps (with 80% or more of your 1RM)
    Standing Leg Curls: 4 sets, 10-15 reps
    Lying Leg Curls: 4 sets, 10-15 reps

5x5 - Chest Day

Flat Bench Press: 5 sets, 5 reps (with 80% or more of your 1RM)
    Flat Bench Flyes: 4 sets, 10-15 reps
    Incline Bench Press: 5 sets, 5 reps (with 80% or more of your 1RM)
    Chest Dips: 3 sets, until failure

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    The 5x5 will give you strength and mass Arnold use to do it.You were also spending to much time in the gym.45 min to 1 hr MAX.

>Good Luck< is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer
    5x5 is a highly misunderstood training regimen, IMO. You can follow a 5x5 training system and still get the pump from your workout as long as you adopt the 5x5 routine only for compound movements targeting the given muscle group, followed by isolation exercises with relatively high reps.

An example would be something like this:

5x5 - Leg Day

Quads:

Smith Machine Squat: 5 sets, 5 reps (with 80% or more of your 1RM)
    Seated Leg Extention: 4 sets, 10-15 reps
    Walking Dumbell Lunges: 2 sets, 30 steps per set

Hams:

Romanian Deadlifts: 5 sets, 5 reps (with 80% or more of your 1RM)
    Standing Leg Curls: 4 sets, 10-15 reps
    Lying Leg Curls: 4 sets, 10-15 reps

5x5 - Chest Day

Flat Bench Press: 5 sets, 5 reps (with 80% or more of your 1RM)
    Flat Bench Flyes: 4 sets, 10-15 reps
    Incline Bench Press: 5 sets, 5 reps (with 80% or more of your 1RM)
    Chest Dips: 3 sets, until failure
    That's awesome. I was feeling like the routine I was on was a bit soft. Not enough to build the body I want. Thanks Turk

Thread Information