Philly82 is offline Junior Member

Trouble getting arms to grown in proportion to torso...help please

As it says in the title: I am having trouble getting my arms to compare with the rest of my frame, which is starting to get ridiculous considering how big the rest of me is. I have been juicing on and off for about 5 years.

I am 29, 5"10, 245, and a beast strength and size wise except to me my arms just look puny in comparison to the rest of me. Massive neck, wide back, big barrel chest, big wheels, and smallish arms. I am like WTF?

Anythoughts on shocking my arms into growing because I am getting to the point where I am thiking my genetics just won't support truly massive arms.

I mean 18 inch arms aren't bad in ultimate terms, but you have to see them when I stand in the mirror they just remind me of twigs compared to ther rest of my bulk and I am starting to go a little insane about this issue.

I do a lot og heavy lifts on the preacher curl bench to and encourage some size and I get a nice pump, but that size never seems to stick around.

Hoping I get some good feedback here.

aportinastorm is offline Junior Member
    Without a picture i have no idea if this is the case or if its all in your head, everyone judges themselves much harsher than others. please post picture

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Can you post some pictures?

Camera on Berry is ****ed. Will post pics tomorrow when I have my digital camera handy.

Still looking for any good tricks to shock arms into growth.

dooie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly82
    Camera on Berry is ****ed. Will post pics tomorrow when I have my digital camera handy.

Still looking for any good tricks to shock arms into growth.
    What's ur current workout?

I like to mix it up on arm day, but today I did

Preacher curls with straight barbbell 5 sets starting at 70 lbs ending at 110lbs, all sets to failure
    Regular dumbell curls, 4 sets starting at 35 lbs and ending at 50 lbs.
    Hammer curls, 4 sets starting at 40 lbs ending at 60 lbs.
    Reverse curls with barbell, 3 sets at 10-12 reps 50lbs. for forearms and bicep length.
    One arm cable concentration curls 3 sets to failure 25-35 lbs. for peak.

seated Dumbell triceps extensions , 4 sets, 10-8-8-6 reps, 60, 70 , 75, 80 lbs.
    Triceps pull downs with rope, 4 sets 10-8-8-6 reps 70, 80 , 85, 95 lbs.
    Dips, body weight, 3 sets of 10 reps
    Machine triceps extensions, 3 sets of 10 reps
    Narrow grip Bench press 3 sets of 10 reps at 150 lbs.

Forearms, 3 sets, standing wrist curls with 55-60 lb dumbells.
    That was arm day today.
    Last edited by Philly82; 04-20-2012 at 03:03 AM.

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by philly82 View Post
    i like to mix it up on arm day, but today i did

preacher curls with straight barbbell 5 sets starting at 70 lbs ending at 110lbs, all sets to failure
    regular dumbell curls, 4 sets starting at 35 lbs and ending at 50 lbs.
    Hammer curls, 4 sets starting at 40 lbs ending at 60 lbs.
    Reverse curls with barbell, 3 sets at 10-12 reps 50lbs. For forearms and bicep length.
    One arm cable concentration curls 3 sets to failure 25-35 lbs. For peak.

Seated dumbell triceps extensions , 4 sets, 10-8-8-6 reps, 60, 70 , 75, 80 lbs.
    Triceps pull downs with rope, 4 sets 10-8-8-6 reps 70, 80 , 85, 95 lbs.
    Dips, body weight, 3 sets of 10 reps
    machine triceps extensions, 3 sets of 10 reps
    narrow grip bench press 3 sets of 10 reps at 150 lbs.

Forearms, 3 sets, standing wrist curls with 55-60 lb dumbells.
    That was arm day today.

wow!

19 sets for biceps and 17 for triceps ?!
    Jesus man, so how much for legs then which are a zilion times bigger than arm muscles ? 50 sets ?

Its way too much. No wonder. Look up Dorian Yates's HIT training.

Too many exercises and too many sets...

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    Too many exercises and too many sets...
    ^^^This. Higher intensity with lower volume is the way forward imo. Minimal rest periods with drop sets, rest pause, negatives, forced reps, etc.

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    And... we have our answer!!

Way too much volume for arms bro.

Bi's and tri's are tiny muscles. They dont need that much stimulation. Unlike legs or back which are made up of so many other muscles that you need to overload them all.

So cut your exercises, sets, and reps down.

Focus on the negative portions. Nice and slow, keeping that tension on the muscle worked. Lift hard and intense.

Theyll grow.

Will do. Reason why I threw that much volume at them yesterday was my mirror was telling me do something about the arms. But When I lift even marginally heavier than what I am lifiting now i get pain in right wrist. Broke it in a fight years ago and din't know it was fractured. By the time I figured it out it was too late. So it healed kind of funky by itself. And it now click and pops when very heavy loads are placed on it. This somehow doesn't come into play during bench pressing, only at certain angles while curling. Maybe i will have to start taping my wrists. Anyone else here do this?

There is an alternative to taping your wrists, concerning your workout method.

Certain equipment and exercises put more stress on the wrists, while other don't put as much.

Keep in mind that the thicker the barbell is, more stress will be put on your wrists.

For instance, instead of performing standing barbell curls, you can alternate this exercise with standing cable curls with a relatively tinier bar attached to the cable crossover machine, which takes a lot of stress from wrists and forearms and helps you to isolate your bicep even more. The same goes for preacher curls performed with an ez bar. You can alternate it with the cable version of the exercise by moving the preacher curl bench to a spot where it faces forward to the cable crossover machine. Not only you will be able to concentrate on the bicep and isolate & squeeze it more, you will also feel that there is significantly less stress on both wrists and forearms this way.

You should also incorporate high pulley cable bicep curls to your routine, great exercise that targets the short (inner) head of the bicep and gives incredible pumps. This is also another exercise that puts nil stress on wrists and forearms with correct form.

Lastly, high volume training increases the chances of injuries due to the exaggerated number of sets and reps. This is my personal opinion, however, my opinion comes from experience and observations. You increase the chances of snapping something when you stay at the gym for so many hours, relentlessly performing infinite number of sets and reps.

There is an alternative to taping your wrists, concerning your workout method.

Certain equipment and exercises put more stress on the wrists, while other don't put as much.

Keep in mind that the thicker the barbell is, more stress will be put on your wrists.

For instance, instead of performing standing barbell curls, you can alternate this exercise with standing cable curls with a relatively tinier bar attached to the cable crossover machine, which takes a lot of stress from wrists and forearms and helps you to isolate your bicep even more. The same goes for preacher curls performed with an ez bar. You can alternate it with the cable version of the exercise by moving the preacher curl bench to a spot where it faces forward to the cable crossover machine. Not only you will be able to concentrate on the bicep and isolate & squeeze it more, you will also feel that there is significantly less stress on both wrists and forearms this way.

You should also incorporate high pulley cable bicep curls to your routine, great exercise that targets the short (inner) head of the bicep and gives incredible pumps. This is also another exercise that puts nil stress on wrists and forearms with correct form.

Lastly, high volume training increases the chances of injuries due to the exaggerated number of sets and reps. This is my personal opinion, however, my opinion comes from experience and observations. You increase the chances of snapping something when you stay at the gym for so many hours, relentlessly performing infinite number of sets and reps.

Thanks for input guys. VERY HELPFUL. Any other ideas on GRowing the arms would be appreciated. As for hihh pulley cable curls I do them from time to time, but I will now do them on regular. My best pumps seem to come from narrow grip preacher curls with straight bar and a weight that I can barely do 8 reps at with strict form. Cable curl 21's I also throw in from time to time.

Thread Information