Thread: Lower chest

beefy_bod is offline Associate Member

Lower chest

Hi, I need a good lower chest workout, I do a lot of bench and decline, pushups but was wondering from y'all what would be a good lower pec workout that's works good and fast!!

Philly82 is offline Junior Member
    Honestly flat bench recruits pretty much the same muscle fibers as decline bench. I have pretty massive chest and I only do chest exrecises on flat or incline bench. If you are looking to add definition to lower chest you might consider doing serratus pulls and barbell pull overs on flat bench to help chisel out your chest.
    Last edited by Philly82; 04-20-2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: typo

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You have to develop your chest to an extent where it has a certain peak of its own so that you can actually start seeing your lower pecs.

If your chest is overall underdeveloped, there is no point in putting that much effort to develop the lower part of it since it will not yield results.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly82 View Post
    Honestly flat bench recruits pretty much the same muscle fibers as decline bench. I have pretty massive chest and I only do chest exrecises on flat or incline bench. If you are looking to add definition to lower chest you might consider doing serratus pulls and barbell pull overs on flat bench to help chisel out your chest.
    We have recently witnessed as study on this board where several athletes were subjected to variations of bench presses to see which exercise isolates chest the most and what areas of the chest are engaged more by these variations. Decline press turns out to be the winner as for the lower and middle areas of the pec, it also desolates front delts and triceps more than other variations.

You feel no need to also perform declines because your chest is already massive, which is something that a newbie generally does not get concerning lower and inner chest development. One has to develop the overall chest area before start seeing the middle and lower parts pop up, otherwise one can do all the decline presses in this world and still not be able to get results.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly82
    Ok thanks will do.. Like my top of my chest is good an in between my chest but the bottom of my boob and towards my arm pit is kinda rounded just want to work that and getting toned and hard!

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer

We have recently witnessed as study on this board where several athletes were subjected to variations of bench presses to see which exercise isolates chest the most and what areas of the chest are engaged more by these variations. Decline press turns out to be the winner as for the lower and middle areas of the pec, it also desolates front delts and triceps more than other variations.

You feel no need to also perform declines because your chest is already massive, which is something that a newbie generally does not get concerning lower and inner chest development. One has to develop the overall chest area before start seeing the middle and lower parts pop up, otherwise one can do all the decline presses in this world and still not be able to get results.
    So what kind of chest workout should I do?? The top is good just want to make the Boone alot more harder and toned or tighten up

Awesome_Archy is offline Associate Member
    I like dips for lower chest and tris, but ussually just do them as a warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by beefy_bod View Post
    Ok thanks will do.. Like my top of my chest is good an in between my chest but the bottom of my boob and towards my arm pit is kinda rounded just want to work that and getting toned and hard!
    3-4 sets of Cable Crossover Flyes.

Maintaining form is vital in this exercise if you want to be able to isolate the problematic areas as you mentioned.

Stretch and squeeze in each rep, concentrate on the negative while stretching.

You may even want to start your chest routine with this exercise for several weeks since it will serve your goal the best if you perform it as your first chest exercise.

Do NOT try to go heavy on this exercise, it will mess up your form and hence isolation of the muscle. 10-15 rep range seems to work the best for me and many other lifters, so make sure your sets are performed at a maximum of 70% of your 1RM in this exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome_Archy
    I like dips for lower chest and tris, but ussually just do them as a warm up.
    Yes forgot about dips, thanks lol

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer

3-4 sets of Cable Crossover Flyes.

Maintaining form is vital in this exercise if you want to be able to isolate the problematic areas as you mentioned.

Stretch and squeeze in each rep, concentrate on the negative while stretching.

You may even want to start your chest routine with this exercise for several weeks since it will serve your goal the best if you perform it as your first chest exercise.

Do NOT try to go heavy on this exercise, it will mess up your form and hence isolation of the muscle. 10-15 rep range seems to work the best for me and many other lifters, so make sure your sets are performed at a maximum of 70% of your 1RM in this exercise.
    Thanks got a lot of help from you, will be starting them for now on I will post pics of before and after chest thanks

WarEagle is offline New Member

About the dips....

The best way it seems to work your lower pec while doing dips is to lean fwd chin on chest. It's sort of difficult for me to keep this posture unless I'm on a dip machine and can get a little help balancing myself.

dbell pullovers
    decline str8 bar bench
    dbell decline bench
    dbell decline flys
    cable flys with both cables at the lowest position, pull them up and "hug the tree" and squeeze at the top. Someone mentioned the serratus fly.

As others have pointed out overall chest development is key here:

IMHO the cornerstone of overall chest bulk: thickness, width and size is good old flat bench, followed by good old dumbell flat benc (side benefit your tris will grow from these exrecises also esp. with heavy weight), followed by dumbell flys.

Turkish Juicer mentioned cable cross overs with strict form which are an excellent shaping exercise; and some else mentioned doing these "gorilla barrels" as I call them from the lowest position....I concur this is a good variation, but thin that putting the handles at various heights including a high position will also help greatly with shaping. Remember to go slow, concentrate on form and negative rep with cables and squeeze.

A side note: your chest can't grow without compensatory growth in the back: meaning you need your lats involved in certain parts of the motion with very heavy weights while benching to help stabilize the movement, which allows you to lift a heavier weight. Have you considered strengthening you back to increase your performance on bench press?

As for decline presses they do take out some shoulder involvment, granted. But, remember there are only 2 parts of the chest, upper and lower; if the incline presses stimulate the upper chest, then logically, flat bench stimulates the lower. Also, it's nice to have athick upper chest to balance the lower, otherwise you end up looking a bit like you have boobs in profile.

Food for thought.

As others have pointed out overall chest development is key here:

IMHO the cornerstone of overall chest bulk: thickness, width and size is good old flat bench, followed by good old dumbell flat benc (side benefit your tris will grow from these exrecises also esp. with heavy weight), followed by dumbell flys.

Turkish Juicer mentioned cable cross overs with strict form which are an excellent shaping exercise; and some else mentioned doing these "gorilla barrels" as I call them from the lowest position....I concur this is a good variation, but thin that putting the handles at various heights including a high position will also help greatly with shaping. Remember to go slow, concentrate on form and negative rep with cables and squeeze.

A side note: your chest can't grow without compensatory growth in the back: meaning you need your lats involved in certain parts of the motion with very heavy weights while benching to help stabilize the movement, which allows you to lift a heavier weight. Have you considered strengthening you back to increase your performance on bench press?

As for decline presses they do take out some shoulder involvment, granted. But, remember there are only 2 parts of the chest, upper and lower; if the incline presses stimulate the upper chest, then logically, flat bench stimulates the lower. Also, it's nice to have athick upper chest to balance the lower, otherwise you end up looking a bit like you have boobs in profile.

Food for thought.
    Ya thanks man like my too is hard toned and shaped but the bottom is rounded kinda but was just seeing how could fix the bottom I was fat but now I'm slimy I'm 180 and like bottom of boob towards arm pit is weird looking I mite have slight Gynp from puberty getting it checked out from doctor but will do excersises gonna focus and make sure I squeeze right and do what y'all say

Ya thanks man like my too is hard toned and shaped but the bottom is rounded kinda but was just seeing how could fix the bottom I was fat but now I'm slimy I'm 180 and like bottom of boob towards arm pit is weird looking I mite have slight Gynp from puberty getting it checked out from doctor but will do excersises gonna focus and make sure I squeeze right and do what y'all say
    180 is very lean. So if the bottom of youe chest isn't chiseled out at that weight, it does kind of sound like gyno. A pic would be helpful to identify whats going on. But if you keep increasing the muscle mass under the fat it will kind of change the shape of the fat layer on top as well. Better go get checked.
    Last edited by Philly82; 04-21-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: typo

180 is very lean. So if the bottom of youe chest isn't chiseled out at that weight, it does kind of sound like gyno. A pic would be helpful to identify whats going on. But if you keep increasing the muscle mass under the fat it will kind of change the shape of the fat layer on top as well. Better go get checked.
    I am already got a doctor appointment set up an go to members forum an check out my pics and see what you think and if you can't tell I'll post a Bette one

Thread Information