Thread: calfs?

big88sub is offline Associate Member

calfs?

What do ya'll think about a good calf workout. Heavy or more volume. Listen to this my step dad delivered Pepsi for almost 25 years and his calls are almos the size of his quads. They're freakin huge carpenter jeans are the only pants that aren't tight on his calf and the rest of him isn't built. Please share your thoughts

devestating is offline Junior Member
    think about it this way, every time you take a step walking/running your using your calf muscles. from the day your born your constantly working your calves...thus they can keep taking a beating. IMO i do two exercises. seated calf raises, do it with as much possible weight as you THINK you can do. do your sets/reps (to what your trying to gain) and then add 25% more weight to what you THINK you can do. so if you think you can raise 50 lbs do 75lbs

Also grab some dummb bells and do staning calf raises, dont forget to do a full range of motion and get a big stretch in, nice easy slow contolled tempo is the key. Beat the hell out of them and they'll be huge

>Good Luck< is offline Productive Member
    I read about calfs being worked with light weight until failure and not worrying about reps. 3 sets to complete failure with light . After I do this I have to sit down for 2-3 minutes until I cN walk again. Usually right before I'm leaving the gym

Responding to both posts here. Yes the thought of using them every day didnt slip my mind. I've also read and done the same thing with both heavy weight and large volume of reps as fast as possible. Do ya'll think maybe doin heavy weight then blowin the hell out of them with a lot of reps would work for calfs on most of the leg days or just stick to heavy for awhile and then volume here and there. Do you think they need to beat to hell every workout. That's sounds uneducated let me rephrase. Because they are typically worked more.than any other muscle do ya'll think maybe all you need to do is stretch the facia more than most other muscles. Maybe I should look up branch wardens calf excersizes. What do ya'll think?

devestating is offline Junior Member
    like i said man go slow, and make sure you do a full range of motion, use your toes or the balls of your feet on the edge of the platform to get that full stretch, dont use your whole foot, you wanna go down past your toes and up past your toes, trust me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFs85G7UJmw

I don't want to sound like I'm hating on that video but he only did two reps full motion and 10-15 half reps but I get your point exaggerated motion. Out of the normal motion. If ya think about it that's whaty step dad did pulling his cart loaded with Pepsi up stairs and ramps where your would be out of typical walking motion and with a load. I'll get a pic of them one day and show yall. There larger than most pros calfs bit not as cut.

Philly82 is offline Junior Member
    My calf are pretty freakish and I think a lot of calf size IS genetic, but that said, standing calf raises heavy weight for 2 sets 8-12 reps, followed by 2 sets at a progessively lighter weight to failure: these sets should generally be 20 + reps though. Calf are very resilient and you can probably punish them with 5 6 or even 7 sets, say 4 standing followed by 3 seated. Also good to do one side at a time here and there. Remember they have no problem lifting your body weight with every step. So if you weigh 250, the stack you do for your standing raises should be at least 250 lbs, so that they do double the work they do thousands of times a day without breaking a sweat.

Good luck!

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Thread Information