Thread: Lat soreness

dooie is offline Senior Member

Lat soreness

An someone help me with a back workout, my traps are growing fine, but my last just don't seem to be responding, I have no DOMS really at all in my lats, I know this isn't a sign of an effective workout, but I know if a muscle is sore then I have definitely worked that muscle well,

I'm guessing it's form but honestly it's just as good if not better then most of the boys at the gym, and they all get sore lats, on a back day, my traps and forearms are sore not lats or bis!

A typical workout:
    Wide grip lat pull downs
    Bent over BB row or single DB row
    Shoulder width hammer press pull down (underhand grip)
    Close grip cable row
    Machine under hand grip row

4sets of each, 3 on the last exercise, 8-15 reps
    I do lower back and hamstrings on a seperate day

Tips on lat thickness and width would be of great help! What am I doing wrong?

scorpion62 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    In all the time I have been working out I can't remember my lats ever being burnt out my arms would give out first , soreness our the muscle hurting the next day doesn't mean you have worked the muscle to exhaustion , what you could do is a lighter weight with high reps to flush the muscle with blood on your warm up then do your 4 sets of heavy also you could do same deadlifts , wide grip pull ups and close grip , I personally don't do under hand and never have but that's just me , most off all make sure your form is sound when carrying out your exercises most people when doing there back are all over the place at the end of the day it all takes time

scorpion62 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The following movements are to be performed one right after another with no rest in between exercises. Once you have completed the first set in the order listed, this will be one large set,then rest for 2 minutes before moving on to your next set. Remember good form and not how much weight you can lift. This is designed to help you achieve the feel that your working the lats , do around 3 to 4 sets see how you feel

Bent Over Barbell Row 1 x 10
    One Arm Dumbbell Row 1 x 8
    Wide grip Lat Pull Down to Front 1 x 10
    Close-Grip Front Lat Pulldown 1 x 8

Warm up the lats, I suggest you do pull ups for 2 sets of 10 reps. If you cant do 10 pull ups dont worry about it, everytime you go to the gym try adding a rep until you can do 10, Pull ups are difficult for most and I would not worry about the number of reps you can actually perform. Just keep working on them. Since this is the warm-up, allow yourself about 2 to 2 and a half minutes between sets and then start of your workout I have listed above and see how it works for you sorry I never put this up I was at work and on the phone and didnt have time, as I said above good form at all times
    Last edited by scorpion62; 05-18-2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: typo

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    Go... slower on the negative.

Let the weight stretch your lats. Imagine them being pulled and wrapping around your side, coming around to cover the side of your chest.

Dont be afraid to throw in some heavy partial reps. I prefer to do them on lat pulldowns and perform that exercise last. Load up a weight that you fully pull for about 12. But do partials of 20+ count. Youre basically starting with your arms stretched out, then pull only a few inches down. Like the bar should be above the top of your head at its lowest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvhll...08445EA052D63A
    Basic version of my heavy partials

And these are also great for getting a stretch in the muscle and working those lats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hWBC...63A&playnext=1

Cheers for the responses! Just a bump for others to add!

Also thinking about doing a 5/3/1 Jim wendler program, thinking about changing it to 8/5/3 though, any comments, ps, did a PB for dreads yesterday 320lbs from the ground for 6reps, stoked

Bump

Renesis is offline Anabolic Member
    Wide grip body weight or weighted pull ups make my lats scream.

Thread Information