Warrior1700 is offline Associate Member

HELP with ROUTINE

Ok, I am 49 yrs old, 510, 202-205 lbs, 12% BF. Guess I should add that I am on TRT. 200mg Cyp EW and just started 100mg Deca EW, 3 weeks ago for awhile , shoulders were aching.

Considered a hard gainer. My diet is coming together with more clean protein and carbs...

I have been lifting for many, many years, perhaps 15+ by now...Time flies.

Here is my problem.

The last year or more I have barely been maintaining, in and out of the gym with no rhyme or reason. Fluctuating from 185-200 lbs. I go in and muck around , get a pump, leave , skip a day or 2 and back in for another body part and same, muck around...and so on and so on.

I have recently tried the Volumn training 10x10...Think it's too much for me, wears me out for the following days. (over training perhaps)

Just tried another 4 day split micro cycle 12 week program, after a month, not "feeling" it (mentally) in week 5, I am no further than I was in week 1 (per the weight reps I logged)

***I am trying to get a routine lately and back on trac to gain about 5 Lbs muscle over the summer. I'm failing. I need to get production outta my time in the gym again.

HELP: Am I making this more difficult then it should be? I know lifting is only about 30 percent of the equation, Diet is a huge part...Rest. But I gotta progress in my training. IE: Weight / reps.

What could be a good 4 day split for me? Reps? Periodization? Pyramiding? Heavy? Light?

Something basic? Less than 90 mins gym time. Thanks in advance for any input.
    Last edited by Warrior1700; 05-29-2012 at 09:51 PM.

jg2243 is offline Junior Member
    What's your goals ? Do you want to lift heavy ? You looking for more of a fitness routine ??? What's your cardio goals ? Better endurance ? Or just fat burning

Goal is to gain 5 lbs of muscle over the summer. I'd actually have to do cardio to have cardio goals...Hehe. So yea , I need to implement some cardio in there. Endurance is always good also, but mainly want to get to 210 bw, adding that 5 lbs of muscle to my current bw.

I don't really wanna lift heavy anymore if I don't need to (That S*%^ hurts theses days)

dtex587 is offline New Member
    If i spend anymore than 60min in the gym per session it kills my motivation granted sometimes im havin a "good" day and stay longer than an hr, i dont know how much time u spend per session but maybe that might have something to do with it. My current 4 day split is 2 on 1 off which is 1:chest/biceps _2:Quads/calves _rest day_ 3:shoulders/hams _4:back/triceps_ rest day then repeat. Every muscle grp is hit 1 time every 6 days and for sets usually I only do 2 warm up sets for bigger muscles and 1 warm up set for smaller muscles followed by 1 working set to COMPLETE failure(im a big fan of forced negatives and rest-pause on last set) also only 60 seconds rest between sets. As far as how many different exercises i do usually varies but usually 3-4 different ones for bigger muscles and 2-3 different ones for smaller groups. Hope this helps!

Viking13 is offline Associate Member
    Jim wendlers 531. Many variations of the program to fit your needs. Find one and stick with it Simple and effective.

Goal is to gain 5 lbs of muscle over the summer. I'd actually have to do cardio to have cardio goals...Hehe. So yea , I need to implement some cardio in there. Endurance is always good also, but mainly want to get to 210 bw, adding that 5 lbs of muscle to my current bw.

I don't really wanna lift heavy anymore if I don't need to (That S*%^ hurts theses days)

I tend not to be at the gym more than an hour. The Micro cyclye routine I started and stopped after 3 weeks I was in the gym for 1 hr and 30-40 mins, too long for me. I usually do 2 on, 1 off, 2 on , 2 off...so once every 7. Thanks for the input.

How many actual working sets per exercise? I usually am solo so kind of hard to do forced negatives, but I like the rest-pause, I like drop sets also, either one of those for my last working set.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking13 View Post
    Jim wendlers 531. Many variations of the program to fit your needs. Find one and stick with it Simple and effective.
    Thanks, I will look it up now...

scorpion62 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Warrior heres a workout for you in the years that you have trained it will be nothing new

Monday: Chest, Tris- Chest flat bench BB or DB , incline smith or DB , Flys DB or pec deck warm up set then 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps, tris choose what suits you and 3 to 4 sets 8 to 12 reps see how you feel as you know your tris will be pumped after your chest

Tuesday- Back, Biceps , Deadlifts - Deads to start you off 4 to 5 sets 5 to 6 reps , Bent over rows , cable pull downs , static dumb bell rows , Biceps again see how you feel 3 to 4 sets 8 to 12 reps same again do what suits you on biceps

Wednesday- Day off

Thursday- Legs- BB squats warm up set then 4 working sets , seated squat 4 sets 15 reps 30 to 60 second rest , leg extensions , leg curls

Friday- Shoulders- Arnold Dumbbell Press warm up set then 4 working sets start with 20kg see how you feel then move your weight up ,BB press ,Clean and Jerk
    Bent Over DB Raise With Head On Bench, the rest of the exercises 4 workng sets 6 to 8 reps

Saturday: Day off

Sunday: Day off

Cardio three times a week fit it in when it suits you , you should check this thread out that TJ put up on partial exercises might help you out

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...bicep-training
    Last edited by scorpion62; 06-03-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: type o

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion62 View Post
    Warrior heres a workout for you in the years that you have trained it will be nothing new

Monday: Chest, Tris- Chest flat bench BB or DB , incline smith or DB , Flys DB or pec deck warm up set then 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps, tris choose what suits you and 3 to 4 sets 8 to 12 reps see how you feel as you know your tris will be pumped after your chest

Tuesday- Back, Biceps , Deadlifts - Deads to start you off 4 to 5 sets 5 to 6 reps , Bent over rows , cable pull downs , static dumb bell rows , Biceps again see how you feel 3 to 4 sets 8 to 12 reps same again do what suits you on biceps

Wednesday- Day off

Thursday- Legs- BB squats warm up set then 4 working sets , seated squat 4 sets 15 reps 30 to 60 second rest , leg extensions , leg curls

Friday- Shoulders- Arnold Dumbbell Press warm up set then 4 working sets start with 20kg see how you feel then move your weight up ,BB press ,Clean and Jerk
    Bent Over DB Raise With Head On Bench, the rest of the exercises 4 workng sets 6 to 8 reps
    Thanks Scorpion , Thx, you are right, nothing new...but thinking I need to get back to basics? So is 8-12 reps for the most part our target number of reps for gaining size (in general not including the deads, or the Bent over DB raise)

scorpion62 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1700

Thanks Scorpion , Thx, you are right, nothing new...but thinking I need to get back to basics? So is 8-12 reps for the most part our target number of reps for gaining size (in general not including the deads, or the Bent over DB raise)
    This is what I am doing right now , I was working at 6 to 8 reps just thought I would try increasing my rep range to see where it takes me also I think we all go through what you are , get to the gym and have no get up and go so going back to basics might just help maybe someone else might come up with something else for you but this might give you food for thought

Thread Information