Mental_Hernia is offline Junior Member

Misc. Workout Terms

Anyone mind listing the meanings of alot of the common used terms in these posts? I dont have the lifting lingo down yet and sometimes have no idea what's being discussed.

List anything you can think of; I know some but not all. Things like cycles, flax seed oil, the actual meatning of whey and creatin ( proteins i know, but the real meaning )

Im sure there are other new posters here that would appreciate this as well.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Go to the educational forum bro, that is a good place to start reading:
    Next use the search function and you will find more info
    abstrack@protonmail.com

KeyMastur is offline VET
    How's this :

http://www.anabolicreview.com/vbulle...=&threadid=604

Or just post what jargon you don't understand and we'll clear it up as best we can.

Ahh, I looked at hte list of forums before posting and didnt see an 'educational' one...

My bad!

And now that I look at it, its all abbreviations ( ie acrnoyms ) and not terms..

Im wondering about:

Cycles
    Flax Seed Oil
    Whey
    Cretin
    Glutamine
    Ketosis State

things like that

KeyMastur is offline VET
    half of these things don't stand for anything. they aren't "lingo" - that's the real name for them. do a search on google if you want to know what it is / does.

cycles - how many times you've done juice
    flax seed oil - i dunno, look it up
    whey - type of protein
    creatine - muscle building compound. amino acid
    glutamine - good supplement for the joints
    ketosis state - couldn't tell you

or you could go to www.m-w.com

ya...

juice... as in stereroids?

Ya, I could look them up or I could come here and post and get a quick precise answer from people who use the terms every day

ya, i know cretin and whey are both proteins, i wanted to konw the difference in them and how they work

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Off the top of my head... (got to run in a few mikes...)

Flax Seed Oil - contains good fatty acids which have been shown to help lower blood cholestrol, strengthen connective tissue, elevate metaboilism, natural testosterone production, increase lean body mass (LBM), ... You need fats in your diet and Flax, Borage, Fish Oils, Evening Primrose, ... are all good choices.

Whey - Milk contains about 10 percent Whey and 90 percent Casein (except right after birth when a lactating mother produces a higher percentage of Whey). Whey protein has a very high biological value for your body to utilize it to make more muscle. Eating incomplete protein sources can result in amino acids sitting around and eventually being metabolised - never making it to form a muscle fiber. So we look for high BV proteins like Whey to give our system high quality building materials for increased muscle mass. Whey protein also has a fast rate of absorbtion and is best taken at times like, post workout or first thing in the morning.

Cretin - someone who sells anabolic steroids to a minor.

Creatine - Creatine Monohydrate is a supplemental form of Creatine Phosphate which your body uses for anerobic excerise and forceful muscle contractions. Supplementing with Creatine has been shown to increase muscular CP levels which increases power output. Creatine Monohydrate piggybacks water (-MONOhydrate) to get into the muscle so you must stay hydrated while supplementing with it.

Glutamine - Glutamine, or more specifically, L-Glutamine is an amino acid ( the building blocks of protein). Your muscle protein's contains about 60 percent of its amino mass from glutamine. Supplementing with L-Glutamine has been shown to increase hypertrophy, increase recovery, support Growth Hormone secretion, ...

Ketosis State - a point during you reach when eliminating carbohydrates from your diet. Your body starts to produce Ketones as an energy source. Some feel riding the fine line of being in and out of Ketosis is the best place to be for getting ripped. Depending on your bodytype - that's a pretty good way to diet down. To measure Ketosis you can get KetoStix from any pharmacy (OTC) which you basically piss on and then compare it to a color chart on the KetoStix container...

Innervision is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by Warrior

Cretin - someone who sells anabolic steroids to a minor.

Thumbs up

Cretin, creatine, its all the same

BTW to keep the records straight - Creatine is not an amino acid nor is it even related to protein. It is a metabolite used by your system for anerobic excerise. Creatine Phosphate can be created through certain amino acids by your body, I believe L-Methione (sp)... and L-something-or-other...

Cycles - this basically refer to a period of time with in an athletes training. Different macrocycles are used for periodization. For example, a 12 week strength macrocycle followed by a 12 week hypertrophy macrocycle. Microcycles usually are defined by much shorter periods that fit into a macrocycle... such as a 3 day carb up microcycle. Anabolic -Androgenic steriod users match their training goals with an appropriate AAS cycle. Such as runninga Deca /Dianabol cycle during a hypertrophy training cycle while using frequent high calorie microcycles! I'll stop... since I am now trying to confuse you

This is one of the best books I have read on sports nutrition. In fact, I have seen parts of some of these chapters repeated word-for-word in other books by less credible authors...

It will give you a very good understanding on this subject as well as sport-specific nutritional cycles for athletes.

You are at a beginning part of your training goals... young and full of potential. Use your first 3-4 years to leech as much info as possible from credible authors. If you ever need a book recommendation on a specefic topic - I have read quite a few and can help you out further...

Thread Information