Armykid93 is offline Productive Member

3 sets vs 4 sets

Is doing 4 sets in any given exercise better then 3? Will more growth be stimulated from the extra set?

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    It depends on the quality of the first three sets.
    I usually pyramid most of my sets, with the incline as a warm up of sorts until i fail at the highest weight with about 3 or 4 reps, and then decline in even increments to failure. of those sets i go to failure, there are three. for me, I'm satisfied with this.
    Some of the blokes more advanced than i may go with additional sets. but be careful not to over train, which is something I used to do when i was much younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman
    I usually pyramid most of my sets, with the incline as a warm up of sorts until i fail at the highest weight with about 3 or 4 reps, and then decline in even increments to failure. of those sets i go to failure, there are three. for me, I'm satisfied with this.
    Some of the blokes more advanced than i may go with additional sets. but be careful not to over train, which is something I used to do when i was much younger.
    Yeah, I figure if I have high quality sets that one extra shouldn't matter. By the 4th set i'm usually pretty spent anyways and I don't feel like I get a lot out if it all the time

SportbikerKid is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    Dam, I thought I was the only guy who trained like this anymore. Its definitely a solid rep pattern for strength and size. keeping it old-school.

I think i'm going to try pyramiding once I am not in ait and have plenty of time for lifting and eating right. I've never done it before but I've never heard someone say anything bad about it

Quote Originally Posted by Armykid93 View Post
    I think i'm going to try pyramiding once I am not in ait and have plenty of time for lifting and eating right. I've never done it before but I've never heard someone say anything bad about it
    I like pyramiding because it is a great way to ease into the heavy weight and hopefully avoid injury. i pyramid for leg press, Bp, MP, and curls. for the rouutines that are very specific focusing on a single muscle, i do not pyramid as that would be too many sets.

I like pyramiding because it is a great way to ease into the heavy weight and hopefully avoid injury. i pyramid for leg press, Bp, MP, and curls. for the rouutines that are very specific focusing on a single muscle, i do not pyramid as that would be too many sets.
    is MP military press?

Quote Originally Posted by Armykid93 View Post
    is MP military press?
    well, it sure as heck aint ...

...."MORE POTATOES"

yeah, it's military press =)

infantry13 is offline Junior Member
    I've been starting with a drop set lately then my last 2-3 sets i decrease weight, and just continue to go to failure... try to burn small and thick muscle fibers, but i kinda judge how i feel after the 3rd set if i feel like there might be a little more in the tank i'll continue to the 4th to failure

well, it sure as heck aint ...

...."MORE POTATOES"

yeah, it's military press =)
    Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by infantry13
    I've been starting with a drop set lately then my last 2-3 sets i decrease weight, and just continue to go to failure... try to burn small and thick muscle fibers, but i kinda judge how i feel after the 3rd set if i feel like there might be a little more in the tank i'll continue to the 4th to failure
    That makes sense

dooie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by infantry13
    I use to train with a multi drop set first set, but I just couldn't keep it up!! And I got weaker

HypnoticParkour is offline New Member
    Personally, no matter how many sets you do, hitting failure with control is the most important part for me, wether it be 4 or 6 sets

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoticParkour
    Personally, no matter how many sets you do, hitting failure with control is the most important part for me, wether it be 4 or 6 sets
    Id say your half right but I don't think the extra sets will make a difference. More than 4 seems unnecessary to me

Thread Information