fullboost is offline Junior Member

Criticise my workout!

Hey guy, just looking to fine tune my workout. I'm currently cutting. I keep my workouts short and intense (about 45 minutes so as not to overtrain, as i'm in about a 500 calorie deficit from diet (high protein, low carb, moderate healthy fats))

I always do every set to failure, dropsetting so as to stay in the 8-12 rep range, upping my weight if i can hit 12. I don't always have a spotter so can't do this with all exercises all the time, but i do as best as i can.

Monday - Chest & Abs
    Flat bench x3
    Incline or Decline bench (alternating every week) x3
    Fly Machine x3
    Weighted sit ups x3
    Leg raises x3

Tuesday - Back
    Deadlifts x3
    Dumbell rows x3
    Lat pulldown x3
    Front MTS pulldown or Machine rows (alternating weekly) x3

Wednesday - Legs
    Squats x3
    Leg extension x3
    Leg raises x3
    Calf raises x3

Thursday - Shoulders
    Dumbbell shoulder press or MTS shoulder press (depends if i have a spotter or not) x3
    Front Raises x3
    Upright barbell row x3
    Cable shrugs x3

Friday - Bi's and Tri's
    Dumbbell preacher curl x3
    EZ preacher curl x3
    Hammers or concentration curls (alternating weekly) x3

Seated skullcrushers with a dumbbell x3
    Vbar Pushdown x3
    Overhead extensions x3

I've cut before, and always had good results (1.5lbs lost p/w roughly) at first without cardio, i tend to add it in after a month or so when results slow.
    Any criticism would be appreciated, thanks
    Last edited by fullboost; 07-11-2012 at 06:54 AM.

scorpion62 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If I was you I would move my leg day to Friday and split your arm day bis back and tris chest the reason for this you don't want to do legs right after deads give your legs a rest ,you could if you want do some cardio mid week no weights

Bevsta123 is offline Member
    Looks good, only thing i could see is chucking in leg press for your leg days, i find ending with legpress then jumping onto the step master for 5-10 mins to end the session gives a good burn etc

jsn23 is offline Junior Member
    I personally think on chest day declines are a waist of time, just add an extra set to flat and incline, and go heavy on them. On leg day really focus on those squats. Nothing is going to build muscle like squats will. And for me on back day i really focus on the deadlift and barbell bent over rows. Bent over rows are awesome for building mass! Thats just my preference! other then that sounds like a good routine bro!

fullboost is offline Junior Member
    Cheers guys, i've swapped chest and back day to give my legs a day to recover from deads
    I prefer incline anyway, so i might stick to that and not bother with decline - at least until i plateau.
    As for back, i find bent over rows with a bar awkward, but i do them with dumbells and i can always feel it the next day or two, might be something to look into if i plateau though

jsn23 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboost View Post
    Cheers guys, i've swapped chest and back day to give my legs a day to recover from deads
    I prefer incline anyway, so i might stick to that and not bother with decline - at least until i plateau.
    As for back, i find bent over rows with a bar awkward, but i do them with dumbells and i can always feel it the next day or two, might be something to look into if i plateau though
    use a reverse grip on them, i find it much easier that way. so its like your going to curl the barbell, but your doing the bent over row motion

Woollster00 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsn23 View Post
    I personally think on chest day declines are a waist of time, just add an extra set to flat and incline, and go heavy on them. On leg day really focus on those squats. Nothing is going to build muscle like squats will. And for me on back day i really focus on the deadlift and barbell bent over rows. Bent over rows are awesome for building mass! Thats just my preference! other then that sounds like a good routine bro!
    Decline is not a waste of time and is a much better excercise for building chest then flat bench is flat bench incorporates more shoulder and is made less effective by not having absolutely 100% perfect technique bench press is a good compound excerise for powerlifting but decline focuses and hits your lower and mid pecs really hard if they are done correctly there is a misconception that they are bad because of the range of motion if you are not getting a good range of motion change the decline bench posiiton if you can or use a smith machine and remember to go heavy, Dorian yates is a massive fan of the decline bench press too he has a lot of videos of youtube of him training people using them instead of flat bench.

Thread Information