Randy_Mar is offline Associate Member

Thumbs up Training hands/wrists/forearms ?

I've been in the gym for about 15yrs now. Only the last 5 have i been focusing more on my hands,wrists,& forearms strength! What's the minimal amount of days I have rest these before training them again?

Wasn't sure if I have to treat it like every other larger muscle group.
    Last edited by Randy_Mar; 09-18-2012 at 12:57 PM.

scorpion62 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If you're really hitting your muscle hard with heavy weight and going to failure and using drop sets and forced reps and staying in the 6-10 rep range, 0nce every 5-7 days , If you're not training intense or with alot of volume and you're not really that sore the next day, then you could probably afford to hit those particular muscle as many as three times a week

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion62 View Post
    If you're really hitting your muscle hard with heavy weight and going to failure and using drop sets and forced reps and staying in the 6-10 rep range, 0nce every 5-7 days , If you're not training intense or with alot of volume and you're not really that sore the next day, then you could probably afford to hit those particular muscle as many as three times a week
    That's what I was hoping for. (about 3 times a week)
    I dont really hit them hard.....So I was 2-3 days was enough rest in between. I'm an armwrestler, so those parts are crucial.

martymcfly85 is offline Junior Member
    That is a good question i too was going to ask. My forearms seem to be my weak link and i too have started training them 3xa per week. Seems good to me so far and im 2 weeks into new routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy_Mar View Post
    That's what I was hoping for. (about 3 times a week)
    I dont really hit them hard.....So I was 2-3 days was enough rest in between. I'm an armwrestler, so those parts are crucial.
    Would you not be better to hit them hard to get growth and more strength ?

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion62 View Post
    Would you not be better to hit them hard to get growth and more strength ?
    I guess what I meant to say is that I hit them hard, but i do not do a ton of exercises each time. I'll try to spread out my workout through the week. Training a little hand/wrist/forearms at different times.

Let me give you a random example, and you tell me the better option:
    Would it be better to do (2) different forearm exercises twice a week, or (4) different exercises once a week?

I think 4 exercisies 4sets x 8 to 12 reps twice a week and you good to go

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I hit forearms after my Bench press workouts. As a powerlifter this allows me to train the forearms to support the weight in my hands during the bp. I take an olympic bar at chest height and wrap a rope around the bar and tie it to a dumbbell. From this position I can use a rather heavy db (right now 70lb) to do a sort of supported wrist roller workout. You can roll the db up from both sides of the bar to work the forearm flexors and extensors. Three times up from both sides and my forearms are screaming. Actual grip work is left to dl and back days. I try to not use straps unless absolutely necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by 600@50 View Post
    I hit forearms after my Bench press workouts. As a powerlifter this allows me to train the forearms to support the weight in my hands during the bp. I take an olympic bar at chest height and wrap a rope around the bar and tie it to a dumbbell. From this position I can use a rather heavy db (right now 70lb) to do a sort of supported wrist roller workout. You can roll the db up from both sides of the bar to work the forearm flexors and extensors. Three times up from both sides and my forearms are screaming. Actual grip work is left to dl and back days. I try to not use straps unless absolutely necessary.
    I know exactly what you mean! I do that as well, and it works great!! I have a home-made machine that I do that with.

I've been doing weighted pullups, hanging from softballs. Serious burn throughout the hands and top of the forearms!! I'm about 180lbs, and I'm hanging 100lbs on my last set (doing about 5 reps.)

Quote Originally Posted by Randy_Mar View Post
    I know exactly what you mean! I do that as well, and it works great!! I have a home-made machine that I do that with.

I've been doing weighted pullups, hanging from softballs.
    Ok. I give. You win.

I highly recommend it if someone is interested in training their hand and forearm strength!

Here's a tutorial i just found on how to make them.
    http://jiujitsumania.com/gripping-eq...pullup-gear-2/

I gotta make some of those. Great idea Randy.

Quote Originally Posted by 600@50 View Post
    I gotta make some of those. Great idea Randy.
    I'll even attach it to the cable and do one arm rows. I incorporate it a lot on back day. Probably not for everyone, but I armwrestle. So my workouts vary from most.

Thread Information