greenwell001 is offline Member

back is thick....need width

I have pretty much doing chin variations only now, with db high row. I already have become much wider, what else different for width. What about wide grip deadlifts, like snatch grip width?

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Chins are excellent for width also close grip pulldowns along side wide grip. Focus on stretching inbetween sets and realy pull those lats out until it becomes painful. Stretching made a serious impact on my width.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    Chins are excellent for width also close grip pulldowns along side wide grip. Focus on stretching inbetween sets and realy pull those lats out until it becomes painful. Stretching made a serious impact on my width.
    Good stuff Marcus...can you elaborate more on what stretches you do and how often?

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwell001 View Post
    I have pretty much doing chin variations only now, with db high row. I already have become much wider, what else different for width. What about wide grip deadlifts, like snatch grip width?
    What is your body fat%?

The quickest way to give the look of wider lats would be to decrease body fat to pull the waist in....

TOkidd is offline Productive Member
    chins, chins, and more chins. I normally alternate wide-grp with narrow-grip from week to week. I also do a minimum of 5 sets. Lat pulldows just don't cut it IMO.

If you can't lift your own weight yet, use an assisted chin/dip machine gradually reducing the counterweight until you're lifting your own bodyweight. If you have the opposite problem, a weight belt is great for doing heavy sets of 6 or fewer reps.

Wide-grip chins are really excellent for pure width in the upper part of the lats; while narrow-grip chins allow you to achieve that tapered, V-shaped torso where your lats extend almost to the waist.

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    With pullups, for the purpose of width, is high rep the way to go? Or low rep, with added weight? Just curious to see what peoples opinions are.

I personally love super wide 6-8 reps. But my lats aren't very wide looking, I do however have a large waist!

You can't really beat pull/ chin ups for lat stimulation....

I prefer to go with a parallel grip (palms facing together) and about 24" wide.....

I also like them in the same fashion but really close with a low row attachment over the bar (hands parallel to each other amd about 5 inches appart)

IMO.... Underhand is too awkward, overhand is too much brachialis and biceps and wide grip in general is just a limited ROM

Stick to just wider that shoulder with a parallel grip for the strongest movement.... Focus on pulling with the lats and no biceps... Think more about getting your elbow to your waist rather than your chin above the bar....

I have just had a go with woody bands last week and they work well to decrease the load during pull ups

I feel it more in biceps when i do palms facing each other. Im going to tie a 20 ft rope in a tree in the back yard and see what I can do. I stay within 12-14 bf all the time Baseline. Im also going to start throwing in muscleups back in now, need to work on form this those bad boys.

Palms facing together will utilise more biceps, it puts them in a stronger position.... That's the whole point... Ur biceps won't fail so quick, meaning ur back will get more work

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    Palms facing together will utilise more biceps, it puts them in a stronger position.... That's the whole point... Ur biceps won't fail so quick, meaning ur back will get more work
    Never thought of it like that

TOkidd is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post
    With pullups, for the purpose of width, is high rep the way to go? Or low rep, with added weight? Just curious to see what peoples opinions are.

I personally love super wide 6-8 reps. But my lats aren't very wide looking, I do however have a large waist!
    I've always try to keep my reps in the mid-to-low range. 6-8 reps per set usually. But I do lots of sets - 6 or 7.

Thread Information