Vpunishment is offline Junior Member

Forearm strenght/ workout....... cure for elbow pain?? Help!!!

Wondering about some workout regiments for forearm mass building exercises? Low or high volume...treat it like a calf??? Plus I have really strong triceps, use to skull crush 135 3 sets of 8, and heavy pull downs and dips.... etc. But when i was 18 I developed pain in my left elbow at the boney tip, it was never diagnosed as tendonitis or bursitis, but I have flare ups once in a while. Also my right elbow just developed pain in the elbows crevice where the humors nerve runs though. I did the protocols for RICE... rest, ice,compress, and elevate for several weeks and still flare ups once in a while. I believe this pain is a direct correlation to my forearm strength and muscular balance. I never really worked my forearms out and mine are very small/underdeveloped. I think this is the answer to my pain but any help with experience is great. Common and unconventional methods are welcome.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    an out of balance in muscular development causes your elbow pain?

could be.....

but i usually go for the simplest explanation, which wouuld be tendonitis?

if so, attempting to increase forearm strength would be a mistake, as you need to rest the tendon, not work it.

Randy_Mar is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vpunishment View Post
    Wondering about some workout regiments for forearm mass building exercises? Low or high volume...treat it like a calf??? Plus I have really strong triceps, use to skull crush 135 3 sets of 8, and heavy pull downs and dips.... etc. But when i was 18 I developed pain in my left elbow at the boney tip, it was never diagnosed as tendonitis or bursitis, but I have flare ups once in a while. Also my right elbow just developed pain in the elbows crevice where the humors nerve runs though. I did the protocols for RICE... rest, ice,compress, and elevate for several weeks and still flare ups once in a while. I believe this pain is a direct correlation to my forearm strength and muscular balance. I never really worked my forearms out and mine are very small/underdeveloped. I think this is the answer to my pain but any help with experience is great. Common and unconventional methods are welcome.
    Glucosamine & Chondroitin, helps my elbows alot. I'm always trying to beef up my forearms. Heavy workouts and weekly armwrestling tears up my arms. That stuffs helps out alot, but takes a couple weeks to kick in.

I noticed before I deployed to Afghanistan (because I had awesome equipment before then...a real gym) that when I worked out my forearms the flare ups stopped and triceps exercise poundage increased; plus when I squeeze the shit out of the bar while doing skull crushers i get a lot more reps out before a flare up..if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    an out of balance in muscular development causes your elbow pain?

could be.....

but i usually go for the simplest explanation, which wouuld be tendonitis?

if so, attempting to increase forearm strength would be a mistake, as you need to rest the tendon, not work it.

pasha is offline Associate Member
    whats up bro, i have elbow problems too.. they come and go.. but some exercises you are better off not doing, one of then is skull crushers.. this exercise is hard on your elbow as it is, now if your elbows are sensitive then its best to stay away from it.

I hear you, I've been staying away for several months now, it was just my favorite...all kinds of gains!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pasha View Post
    whats up bro, i have elbow problems too.. they come and go.. but some exercises you are better off not doing, one of then is skull crushers.. this exercise is hard on your elbow as it is, now if your elbows are sensitive then its best to stay away from it.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    deadlifts will build forearm strength

True that, I was always gay though and used straps, increased crazy but without those straps... I was nothing

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    deadlifts will build forearm strength

True that, I was always gay though and used straps, increased crazy but without those straps... I was nothing
    I'm probably the odd ball, but I never use straps. I've always wanted my hand strength to try and catch up with the rest of me! And it did!!

That's me now, you never know when you need to lift something big.... and straps are false confidence.....

Quote Originally Posted by Randy_Mar View Post
    I'm probably the odd ball, but I never use straps. I've always wanted my hand strength to try and catch up with the rest of me! And it did!!

Do you have a certain brand you like for these supps?

Glucosamine & Chondroitin, helps my elbows alot. I'm always trying to beef up my forearms. Heavy workouts and weekly armwrestling tears up my arms. That stuffs helps out alot, but takes a couple weeks to kick in.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    yeah straps aint good for someone to start off with, never used them in my life and my torso will detached before my grip would ever go on deads lol.

heavy dbell shrugs are good for forearms also

Do you have a certain brand you like for these supps?
    Nothing special. I just get whatever is at the local drug store. The only think I like to watch for is the mg per pill. I look for the pills with 750mg of Glucosamine and 600mg of Chondroitin. They make a few different mgs. The higher the better IMO

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I used to do a reverse 21 ez curl bar exercise like the man in this pic is doing. I would get INSANE pumps on the bottom part of the forearm. The secret for me was to use really tight strict form and control the movement. Also you want to pyramid up slowly from a very low weight to higher. I have had elbow popping sounds before on this exercise but I feel that if you start with a low weight and really use good form and squeeze, theres nothing wrong with it as long as you aren't getting any pain or tweak out of it.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...w=1280&bih=850

I agree with the guys saying take glucosamine and chondroitin. I have also read that folic acid, fish oil and L-lysine help before. I take all of those regularly. If you are having issues, what you will want to do is vary your warm up routine. I am having a very serious shoulder issue. I used to say ok to compensate for this I'll just pyramid up in weight and do a lot of warm up reps. What I do now is I do a couple of warm up sets on the reverse pec deck, then a couple on chest press or hammer strength machine, then a couple on the shoulder lateral raise machine. The overall effect is I have warmed the shoulder up from a bunch of directions and now it wants to do what I tell it to at that point of the workout. So if you are having elbow problems I would do a rope push down at lighter weights to warm up. Then I would put the handle on the cable and do underhanded one arm pull downs light weight again. Then I dunno maybe jump into some pushups. Then begin the normal routine. Low impact / low stress exercises at multiple angles is what I am utilizing right now for tweaks and it seems to help.

Thanks for the input!! i have started something like this, but not in all aspects of directions. I'll give it a try for i love my skull crushers.....

Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper View Post
    I used to do a reverse 21 ez curl bar exercise like the man in this pic is doing. I would get INSANE pumps on the bottom part of the forearm. The secret for me was to use really tight strict form and control the movement. Also you want to pyramid up slowly from a very low weight to higher. I have had elbow popping sounds before on this exercise but I feel that if you start with a low weight and really use good form and squeeze, theres nothing wrong with it as long as you aren't getting any pain or tweak out of it.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...w=1280&bih=850

I agree with the guys saying take glucosamine and chondroitin. I have also read that folic acid, fish oil and L-lysine help before. I take all of those regularly. If you are having issues, what you will want to do is vary your warm up routine. I am having a very serious shoulder issue. I used to say ok to compensate for this I'll just pyramid up in weight and do a lot of warm up reps. What I do now is I do a couple of warm up sets on the reverse pec deck, then a couple on chest press or hammer strength machine, then a couple on the shoulder lateral raise machine. The overall effect is I have warmed the shoulder up from a bunch of directions and now it wants to do what I tell it to at that point of the workout. So if you are having elbow problems I would do a rope push down at lighter weights to warm up. Then I would put the handle on the cable and do underhanded one arm pull downs light weight again. Then I dunno maybe jump into some pushups. Then begin the normal routine. Low impact / low stress exercises at multiple angles is what I am utilizing right now for tweaks and it seems to help.

thanks for the reply. I will probably start a regiment this week...see what happens...

Nothing special. I just get whatever is at the local drug store. The only think I like to watch for is the mg per pill. I look for the pills with 750mg of Glucosamine and 600mg of Chondroitin. They make a few different mgs. The higher the better IMO

Thread Information